Titanoceratops, The Anti Giga Siege Beast

DILONG

Suggestion

My submission for the next Ark vote is Titanoceratops scutigerulus, a massive powerhouse of a ceratopsian capable of easily destroying defenses, breaking through metal dino gates like a battering ram, ignoring all placed traps, and fighting off Ark’s deadliest theropod the Giga. Through a labor of love I’ve designed not just a dossier but actual in game quality concept art for this animal.

Abilities: 

It’s main two damage abilities are dealing high amounts of damage to both creatures of higher drag weight (scaling up as the drag weight scales) and dealing high damage to gates and doors up to metal behemoth gates. The trade off for dealing damage to metal is that it must consume raw metal (around 5 to 10 metal per 5 seconds, it allows for a 30 second window to damage metal and has a cool down that lasts for around a minute) through a stance change that makes it slower as a trade off similar to the Magmasaurs’s smelting ability minus the smelting. While it does mediocre damage to metal structures in this state it does high amounts of damage to doors and dino gates making it effectively a battering ram.

As for it’s Giga slaying abilities, it will be able to resist it’s gnash and deal higher damage to it than other creatures due to it’s increased drag weight damage. It’s also particularly well protected from the front having a high damage resistance to both it’s frill and legs, this paired with the anti bleed effect and high health make it a great defense against Ark’s largest and deadliest theropod.

It’s other prime function is acting as a tower shield for large dinos up to the height of a rex, it’s great for effectively tanking huge amounts of bullets and explosives with little damage. In addition when multiple Titanoceratops are near they gain a herd buff that increases the damage resistance and gives a buff to nearby saddleless dinos, it however does not effect dinos with natural armor like the Reaper and Shadowmane. It can also pivot in place similar to a Rock Golem allowing it to defend against attackers from any angle.

Other major abilities of the Titanoceratops are the resistance to all placed traps such as bear traps or spike walls, explosives placed on the ground also deal less damage to it. When the herd bonus is active the eyespots on it’s frill appear and light up similar to the plate change on the TLC Stego. The rider sits on a saddle latched onto the back of it’s frill allowing for a high vantage point across the battlefield (I’m still toying with the concept of adding a second rider on it’s back as a protective gunner). As for gathering it’s a fairly basic gatherer of wood, thatch, and berries but has a very high weight and health making it a good safe pack animal.

The specific attacks are a horn swing that does a high amount of damage, a “stance change” that transitions it into it’s metal damaging mode, and a short ram attack that thrusts the animal forward for a high knock back attack good for pushing away enemies and damaging doors. 

Wild:

Titanoceratops can be found around mountainous regions usually around high concentrations of metal either alone or in a small group, they are fairly peaceful unless provoked or attack similar to Dire Bears. They can easily contend with many of the region’s predators like rexes and sabertooths although they are ignored by most small predators. They will ignore you while wearing ghillie however they will become aggressive if approached too closely. In the wild they also cannot damage metal but can damage stone structures.

Taming:

In order to tame a Titanoceratops you need either a catapult or cannon to knock it out, likely on the back of a Paracer or placed in a trap. They’re not difficult to kite as they’re not very fast so that can be a good and less expensive option but for those looking for a trap they need to use metal structures, bear traps are ill advised as they essentially destroy them while walking over them and completely ignore it’s effects. As for taming food you will need Exceptional kibble or various crops and berries, they need a lot of food and Narcotic so pack a fair bit as this tame can wake up fairly quickly. Once tamed they will act as a beast of burden, a powerful siege beast and living battering ram, a counter to various large creatures including Gigas, and potentially a boss fighter.

Weaknesses:

While the Titanoceratops is exceptionally powerful it has it’s drawbacks, it can only fit through behemoth gates as it’s size is on par with a rex or mammoth. It’s particularly slow and while it can turn in place it still can’t out turn the faster mounts like raptors, in addition it’s a very slow swimmer and is not advisable to use around wet environments. It’s backside is also fairly unprotected, even with a saddle hitting it from behind will deal massive amounts of damage to it. It’s also very vulnerable from above and can be taken out by fliers with ease. The rider perched on the high saddle is vulnerable to being grabbed by fliers and to sniper fire, being a particularly easy target. It’s also fairly weak to fire weapons, flamethrowers, fire arrows, wyverns, and fire pitch catapults will deal lots of damage to the creature more so than others.

Final Notes:

I wanted the Titanoceratops to fill the niche other ceratopsians in Ark should have filled, Trikes and Pachyrhinos are particularly weak in game and it bothers me that such powerful animals are ignored in favor of carnivores. I wanted a ceratopsian that could defeat carnivores without breaking a sweat and being large powerhouses players would use late game. These animals in real life were strong enough to fight off tyrannosaurs and were true spectacles of both raw power and incredible diversity, they were truly the most impressive ornithischians to have existed. 

I also wanted to suggest a powerful and impressive creature that people would enjoy, something both striking and utterly massive. It was also a chance to flex my art skills at designing an Ark creature with both accurate anatomy and the signature Ark style. I have talked in the past about possibly applying for a job at Wildcard as a creature concept artist and wanted to prove to myself that I was able to design something both devs and players would enjoy, I do not think I will apply as I still have a lot of learning to do however this experience has been quite a trip and I am happy that I got to share my labor of love with this wonderful and creative community.

I hope you all enjoy and if there’s any suggestions or ideas for this leave them down in the comments.

OnFire944 made a short video with a size comparison between it and the other ceratopsians in game, it’s a really nice short video summary on some of this creature’s abilities. I highly recommend you check it out. 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P_uziSb-umk&feature=youtu.be

Edited by DILONG
  • Like 7

126 replies to this server topic

Great art, but anything intended to counter/battle Gigas at all is a hard no from me.

Literally all the Gigantosaurus has going for it is combat. It's stamina is terrible, it's immobile, it has no utility. Literally all it does is fight. So if you have a creature that counters it, then nobody's going to use the giga. People are just going to use the thing that counters it.

• Like 2

I think this creature is pretty cool and the art is very well done, but in my opinion the fact that it can ignore any traps and destroy metal is just too strong. The second thing that is kinda "meh" is, that it is a giga slayer. Seems questionable to me since we already have the rhinos which reach over 3k melee on official and can rage a giga in one hit and even on unofficial rhinos are enough to take out a giga.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TuxedoToad said:

This looks professional. Well done! You sure got my upvote!

I’m a paleoartist so I already do semi professional work, I wanted this artwork to look on par with the rest of Ark’s concept art more or less as a challenge to see if I could pull off a convincing yet mostly accurate design. It has been a really fun project overall.

• Like 2

Now that I think about, an herbivore equivalent of a Giga would be really cool. And yea, we could say Titanosaur is that equivalent but people don't tame it very often. 

I'm alright with it being an Anti-Giva beast, but we should also make it just a similar to one. The only unique ability the Giga has would have to be it's rage, so I could see this working out for the creature as well.

43 minutes ago, DoktorNFC said:

Yeah man, but just like the deinopithicus not being able to use guns, I reckon wildcard will make some adjustments to the idea to balance it so it doesn’t just just make giga useless. As long as they use that concept art I’d be happy because man, it’s top notch

I don’t think they will use the concept art although I’ll be thrilled if they do

Titanosaurus

Wild

Titanoceratops tend to live in groups of two to four. They have a tendency to attack any carnivorous creature that enters their territory. It is unknown why the Titanoceratops has taken to this approach. The most likely reason is that this ceratopsian has developed the behavior of attacking anything it perceives as a threat. When attacking a group of Titanoceratops will line up to form a wall of sorts and charge the enemy. during this charge they take severely reduced damage from any form of harm. Being hit by this charge stuns medium and large creatures, meanwhile small creatures will the thrown back immensely by this attack. Titanoceratops also deals more damage to carnivorous creatures while taking reduced damage from them.

Domesticated

Once domesticated Titanoceratops is an invaluable siege mount. Its buff from being around Carnivorous creatures makes it an ideal mount to use in combat where carnivores are ever prevalent. using multiple Titanoceratops will result in them using their wall charge. Forming a line and charging at the enemy. Titanoceratops also has the uncanny ability to instill its buff apon other ally herbivores by using a roar. Due to the sturdy structure of Titanoceratop's frill. It's capable of destroying stone with relative ease. Survivors are taken to constructing saddles that place reinforced metal plating apon TItanoceratops, especially around the frill and horns. This allows it to not only be able to charge through stone with more ease. but also Titanoceratops to break through metal structures.

Abilities

. When carnivorous creatures are nearby Titanoceratops deals increased damage and takes reduced damage

. Multiple Titaniceratop's can be set to form a wall and charge at the enemy, this causes them to take reduced damage and attracts automatic defenses (turrets, creatures on sentry mode and plant species X)

. Can use a roar to buff nearby ally herbivores, giving them increased damage and take reduced damage when carnivores are nearby

. can use a charge that breaks stone, cripples medium and large creatures and knocks back small creatures. A fabricated armored saddle can be equipped to give the titano increased defense and thee ability to break metal.

Here's a dossier description and abilities list i conjured up. hope you guys like it. 

Edited by Kodking194

Hello, I also think like you, the ceratopsids are very weak in the game compared to the carnivores, and the gig is a waste ... But even so, I would not make this animal anti gigas, at least it is not his Main use, I would leave it as a siege creature before the titanosaur and that it can also be used to stop the gigas but not easily kill them ... I hope it is not bigger than a mammoth and the meodo de tameo I would change it, The titan already has the cannons and it's a pain in the neck ... the pentaceratops could also replace this one since it's better known and it was also very big.

51 minutes ago, Umber0010 said:

Great art, but anything intended to counter/battle Gigas at all is a hard no from me.

Literally all the Gigantosaurus has going for it is combat. It's stamina is terrible, it's immobile, it has no utility. Literally all it does is fight. So if you have a creature that counters it, then nobody's going to use the giga. People are just going to use the thing that counters it.

Yeah man, but just like the deinopithicus not being able to use guns, I reckon wildcard will make some adjustments to the idea to balance it so it doesn’t just just make giga useless. As long as they use that concept art I’d be happy because man, it’s top notch

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1