Suggestion

Name: Giant Bison

Species: Bison longicornis

Time: Pleistocene

Diet: Herbivore

Temperament: Territorial

Wild: Traveling in massive herds for greater pastures, the largest bovine in existence is a sight to behold. With their massive pair of horns, they are known to be aggressive chargers and capable of goring any predator willing to challenge them including wolves and bears. Their large bodies capable of withstanding the harshest winters with their ever-growing pelts, making them durable enough to resist freezing to death. 

Taming: Extremely sought for their pelts, horns, and the rich bovine milk, taming a Bison isn't as easy at it looks. Many tribesmen attempt to bull-ride in hopes to tire them out and begin feeding them when they aren't wide awake. Beware getting bucked off, I've seen many tribesmen knocked out with that heavy bull kick to the face. Some get gored if unlucky enough.

Domesticated: Once they are tamed, this of course unfortunately attracts every now and then random predators who want to raid your livestock and eat them all. The milk produced by the females gives any baby animal being raised a quite needed boost, potentially can be warmed up in an cooking pot for a special buff against the cold weather. With their hulking bodies, they offer extra warmth and can carry weight much like modern ox. Like modern cattle, their feces is much more potent fertilizer often referred to as "cow pie" that gives crops a boost of extra harvest.

Bison latifrons (aka the giant bison) lived in North America during the  Pleistocene epoch and was the largest and heaviest bison species to ever  live in North America. They stood 2m (6.6ft)

ARK Meta:

Combat: Built in with a charge mechanic similar to Triceratops and the Woolly Rhinoceros, the Bison could impale its victims into their horns and gore them to bleed out, as well a herd buff to boost their strength with mate boost activated, dealing extreme damage. Crippling debuff inflicted on players and dinosaurs if it successfully charges.

Utility: Another farm animal for the common PVE (or RP) players who would love a cow in ARK (like the ones in Atlas). Bison milk in turn could be cooked warmly to drink as an insulation buff against the cold, or fed to babies, especially baby Wyverns who require milk themselves.  When Bison defecate, they drop a special feces called "cow pie" which is much better than other dinosaur feces, and more efficient, sometimes giving the crops a boost of extra harvest. With a unique cart or wagon saddle, depending on the type of saddle chosen affects how the player how much weight they can carry back and forth from point A to point B with more speed. The amount of Bison needed for the type of cart or wagon saddle affects not only speed, the weight and the mobility of the mini-wheeled base.

Bison-drawn carriage in Sioux Falls, South Dakota 1900 : r/OldSchoolCool

Raids: Having a livestock of these Bison will eventually lead to many predators wanting to assault your base to eat your beef, much in the same manner as how the Corrupted attack Element Veins/OSDs or the Nameless harassing you if you don't have a charge pet. You will have to turn full on cowboy to keep them at bay every now and then.

FJORDUR:

- Useful in colder areas, especially Jotunheim, the bison's thick fur pelt will keep the player protected from the dangerous sub-zero temperatures and deter off any nasty wolves or bears who dare come too close.

- Major harvester if on a trip on foot to harvest metal or wood, or various other resources, depending on the cart or wagon saddle will speed determine the rough terrain.

- With predatory dinosaurs and other animals wanting to eat your livestock, you could either use this to your advantage to lure a high level carnivore or simply farm experience from killing them all.

Edited by TheIronWolf45
Adding more info to the submission.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 7
  • Answers 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

Name: Giant Bison Species: Bison longicornis Time: Pleistocene Diet: Herbivore Temperament: Territorial   Wild: Traveling in massive herds for greater pastures, the large

This creature will be useless to this game plus I like creatures that are strong but this one will be weak plus people will get board of this

Of course thats all we need is another pointless dino in my opinion like the rhino. yeah sure colors might be good but other than that its not worth the time taming.

Posted Images

153 replies to this server topic

On 11/7/2021 at 12:14 AM, Judgment said:

love the frick outta this idea, ESPECIALLY considering the fjordur map is a COLD map based on the Netherlands, and we already have a big rhino, i personally like bisons more, specially since they are so precious in the native American culture ❤️

is it actually based on the Netherlands? i wouldve thought it was based on a nordic country as the different realms and the environment would show? im not even a pc player so i wouldnt know anyway

On 11/23/2021 at 4:46 AM, Din0Gamer said:

I’m not a fan of this idea. firstly, we just got the deinopithicus via the creature vote. I’m not one who wants another mammal, especially since the one creature already revealed for Fjordur is a mammal, the andrewsarchus. I also wasn’t a fan of the deinopithicus, with wasn’t helped by us getting the suggested abilities (although that’s fair to Wildcard). I’m only putting up with the deinopithicus because of the other two Lost Island creatures.

Secondly, this would be near useless. Ark is built around powerful Tames unless your doing an oddly gimmicky playthrough. No new creature since the Morrella has has so little use. using the, from my understanding, least used creatures from each following DLC as examples, Roll Rats are the best wood harvesters on Ab and are fun to roll around, Gasbags are amazing transports, Megachelon are great for oceanic tribes and Maewings are great nannies. 

So yeah, not a fan. Especially since the other top choice is the Titanoceratops, which is a strong, herbivorous ceratopsian, all of which are underrepresented in comparison to other things, mammals especially. I will give credit to the original author of this post. As much as I don’t like it, it was well thought into and certainly an odd choice.

What makes me thing, Fjordur is going to be extremely big map about traveling around and you get a bull-cow that can't even jump or fly. Yet you promote a dino that preffers stationary game design.

Fjordurr seems to be a big open map, where a big dinosaur roaming around would fit ( note we have only giga to be dangerous enough ), the armordillosuchus suggestion would be great addition for rocky-hills traversal of Fjordurr and surely iconic dino pick and quite fun.

Or the flying insect one, also great idea. Since we didn't really had any big insects.

But ya'all guys want some mammal to do giga meat runs on them. Well they wouldn't even be a good for meat runs because they would mostly drop Pelt/Wool and overcumber your dino pretty much quickly.

There are so many great suggestions , im quite disappointed in this community votes.

Guys... no offense, but come on, how is a Bison cooler than any of the other options out there? Who cares that we don't have an ark "cattle role" yet, we should give the other options a chance. Plus, while I do like this idea, I don't think it's entirely creative, sure it would fit in Fjordur, but other creatures would as well. I'm not sure why all of you are going for an oversized bull with fur over some other badass reptiles or dinosaurs, or maybe even arthropods. Maybe something related to norse mythology? I think we have enough mammals in the game thank you... we literally are about to have another one in the form of the Andrewsarchus

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
11 hours ago, RedDeadMustang said:

The Giant Bison has my vote, and it fits perfectly in the Fjordur map. I would like to see a unique taming method for this, where you need to lure a baby away from the herd with special food (either dropping on the ground, or shooting food from a distance with an arrow .. as in the Immersive Taming mod. When it eats the dropped food, this starts the passive taming process, which is completed by keeping the baby safe, feeding and petting it. This could either be the only way to tame them (with baby bison being a rare spawn), or an additional method. It is surprising to me that Ark does not have taming wild babies in the base game, and that it is only available with a mod. Capturing a baby creature seems so much more realistic and immersive than using tranquilizers on an adult and feeding them when unconscious.

Wildcard just won't go through all that effort for a free new dinosaur, especially one that is a mammal. Thats why the suggestion for the bull-riding similar to how you break them via the fishing style minigame would help make the taming unique and allow Wildcard to edit the style of passive-KO taming. (Of course Immersive Taming will update to passive Bison eventually.)

I thought though that baby penguins could be KO tamed, just not passive tamed.

I’m not a fan of this idea. firstly, we just got the deinopithicus via the creature vote. I’m not one who wants another mammal, especially since the one creature already revealed for Fjordur is a mammal, the andrewsarchus. I also wasn’t a fan of the deinopithicus, with wasn’t helped by us getting the suggested abilities (although that’s fair to Wildcard). I’m only putting up with the deinopithicus because of the other two Lost Island creatures.

Secondly, this would be near useless. Ark is built around powerful Tames unless your doing an oddly gimmicky playthrough. No new creature since the Morrella has has so little use. using the, from my understanding, least used creatures from each following DLC as examples, Roll Rats are the best wood harvesters on Ab and are fun to roll around, Gasbags are amazing transports, Megachelon are great for oceanic tribes and Maewings are great nannies. 

So yeah, not a fan. Especially since the other top choice is the Titanoceratops, which is a strong, herbivorous ceratopsian, all of which are underrepresented in comparison to other things, mammals especially. I will give credit to the original author of this post. As much as I don’t like it, it was well thought into and certainly an odd choice.

On 8/11/2021 at 15:17, UpFromTheDepths said:

¡Me encantaría si pudieras usar la leche para hacer queso en el juego! ¿Quizás el queso te da algún tipo de beneficio único?

yo diria que mejor los youtubers no votaran ni dieran su opinion por que ya huvo un problema de spam al dinopithecus y es mejor evitarlo no comentes mejor

13 hours ago, Nekatus said:

Done tame it then, its that easy. 

I'm not the only one who thinks this would be a pointless tame and it's "Don't tame it then, it's that easy." I agree with everyone who say's it's pointless, just another berry gathering Dino. unless Wild Card adds a Cart Saddle (Doubt they will) it won't cool besides color. Adding a saddle/cart would be a cool feature but again, coding and making sure it works is highly unlikely. you don't have to like my opinion. 

On 11/11/2021 at 11:17 AM, Kodking194 said:

so what your saying is because its not some big op creature its gonna be boring and useless. ark is not based around extremely op creatures. why cant we just get a simply and unique creature. the milk production is a cool utility creature. this would be a great creature for a nomad style play through, if you dont like the creature then just dont use it. 

gas bags are actually more caterpillar like imo.

enough like what? we have no cattle like creatures. if your referring to farm like creatures we only have 2 rn. ovis and equus. stop hating just for the sake of it. you dont like the creature then dont use it when if it comes to the game. 

Well If you rally want pack animals . . . you have Morellatops from Scorched Earth.

Ohh does anyone even remember this creature? It fits exactly the same role, made for nomadic play of style with water-dispenser feature. No one uses this dino anymore.

Yeah it will get the same treatment unless Wildcard makes her "milk" raise taming effectiveness or imprint %. Then instead of pack or nomadic playstyle you will have a dino with a single role dedicated to sit at base doing nothing. And will turn into major PvP creature to look for.

There is so many interesting concepts and ideas for prehistoric dinos that could be pulled from archeology data and we end up with another mammal. . . cow . . . at least dinopithecus got interesting mechanics and sounds fun to use.

For example water dino at this point, would be far better choice because it could at least consider Wildcard to revamp how ocean works in this game. And it surely needs more variety.

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2
On 11/9/2021 at 7:40 AM, Favie said:

This creature will be useless to this game plus I like creatures that are strong but this one will be weak plus people will get board of this

Thats actually kinda true . . .

What this creature will bring into the ARK, beside being a walking meat/pelt farm? People like overloaded dinos after genesis1. Bison doesn't seems like they will have lots of mobillity.

oh cool can milk them, but for what

oh cool pack creature, like many others

While it would fit in Fjordurr perfectly, i doubt it will be fun creature to be added in. Since that map seems to be quite big and open a bigger dinos would fit better. Especially something that could traverse rocky terrain well like Armodilosuchus suggestion. It would be bloody perfect.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Kodking194 said:

so what your saying is because its not some big op creature its gonna be boring and useless. ark is not based around extremely op creatures. why cant we just get a simply and unique creature. the milk production is a cool utility creature. this would be a great creature for a nomad style play through, if you dont like the creature then just dont use it. 

gas bags are actually more caterpillar like imo.

enough like what? we have no cattle like creatures. if your referring to farm like creatures we only have 2 rn. ovis and equus. stop hating just for the sake of it. you dont like the creature then dont use it when if it comes to the game. 

Your arguement is completely dogcrap since when this creature gets voted we miss out on actually cool and unique creatures. But its democracy so its fine to have opinions on something its just that you are attacking people for disagreeing your (in my opinion) crap opinion.

Edited by macig
  • Facepalm 1