TheIronWolf45

Suggestion

Name: Giant Bison

Species: Bison longicornis

Time: Pleistocene

Diet: Herbivore

Temperament: Territorial

Wild: Traveling in massive herds for greater pastures, the largest bovine in existence is a sight to behold. With their massive pair of horns, they are known to be aggressive chargers and capable of goring any predator willing to challenge them including wolves and bears. Their large bodies capable of withstanding the harshest winters with their ever-growing pelts, making them durable enough to resist freezing to death. 

Taming: Extremely sought for their pelts, horns, and the rich bovine milk, taming a Bison isn't as easy at it looks. Many tribesmen attempt to bull-ride in hopes to tire them out and begin feeding them when they aren't wide awake. Beware getting bucked off, I've seen many tribesmen knocked out with that heavy bull kick to the face. Some get gored if unlucky enough.

Domesticated: Once they are tamed, this of course unfortunately attracts every now and then random predators who want to raid your livestock and eat them all. The milk produced by the females gives any baby animal being raised a quite needed boost, potentially can be warmed up in an cooking pot for a special buff against the cold weather. With their hulking bodies, they offer extra warmth and can carry weight much like modern ox. Like modern cattle, their feces is much more potent fertilizer often referred to as "cow pie" that gives crops a boost of extra harvest.

Bison latifrons (aka the giant bison) lived in North America during the  Pleistocene epoch and was the largest and heaviest bison species to ever  live in North America. They stood 2m (6.6ft)

ARK Meta:

Combat: Built in with a charge mechanic similar to Triceratops and the Woolly Rhinoceros, the Bison could impale its victims into their horns and gore them to bleed out, as well a herd buff to boost their strength with mate boost activated, dealing extreme damage. Crippling debuff inflicted on players and dinosaurs if it successfully charges.

Utility: Another farm animal for the common PVE (or RP) players who would love a cow in ARK (like the ones in Atlas). Bison milk in turn could be cooked warmly to drink as an insulation buff against the cold, or fed to babies, especially baby Wyverns who require milk themselves.  When Bison defecate, they drop a special feces called "cow pie" which is much better than other dinosaur feces, and more efficient, sometimes giving the crops a boost of extra harvest. With a unique cart or wagon saddle, depending on the type of saddle chosen affects how the player how much weight they can carry back and forth from point A to point B with more speed. The amount of Bison needed for the type of cart or wagon saddle affects not only speed, the weight and the mobility of the mini-wheeled base.

Bison Milk - Like other bovines, Bison can be milked for their nutritional sweet baby food. If fed to warm blooded babies, the calcium would help them grow much faster than normal than any other food if given the proper care. Can be substituted for any food a baby might require care such as kibble.

What is the difference between cow milk and buffalo milk | The Times of  India

Bison Milk Cheese - A crafting recipe requiring Bison milk, a very delicious cheese with a very wild yet sweet taste. Who knows what else it could offer?

Why Elusive Buffalo-Milk Cheeses Are Worth Hunting Down

Bison-drawn carriage in Sioux Falls, South Dakota 1900 : r/OldSchoolCool

Raids: Having a livestock of these Bison will eventually lead to many predators wanting to assault your base to eat your beef, much in the same manner as how the Corrupted attack Element Veins/OSDs or the Nameless harassing you if you don't have a charge pet. You will have to turn full on cowboy to keep them at bay every now and then.

FJORDUR:

- Useful in colder areas, especially Jotunheim, the bison's thick fur pelt will keep the player protected from the dangerous sub-zero temperatures and deter off any nasty wolves or bears who dare come too close.

- Major harvester if on a trip on foot to harvest metal or wood, or various other resources, depending on the cart or wagon saddle will speed determine the rough terrain.

- With predatory dinosaurs and other animals wanting to eat your livestock, you could either use this to your advantage to lure a high level carnivore or simply farm experience from killing them all.

Edited by TheIronWolf45
Adding more info to the submission.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 8

176 replies to this server topic

On 11/7/2021 at 8:08 AM, TheIronWolf45 said:

Taming: Extremely sought for their pelts, horns, and the rich bovine milk, taming a Bison isn't as easy at it looks. Many tribesmen attempt to bull-ride in hopes to tire them out and begin feeding them when they aren't wide awake. Beware getting bucked off, I've seen many tribesmen knocked out with that heavy bull kick to the face. Some get gored if unlucky enough.

ARK Meta:

Combat: Built in with a charge mechanic similar to Triceratops and the Woolly Rhinoceros, the Bison could impale its victims into their horns and gore them to bleed out, as well a herd buff to boost their strength with mate boost activated, dealing extreme damage. Crippling debuff inflicted on players and dinosaurs if it successfully charges.

Utility: Another farm animal for the common PVE (or RP) players who would love a cow in ARK (like the ones in Atlas). Bison milk in turn could be cooked warmly to drink as an insulation buff against the cold, or fed to babies, especially baby Wyverns who require milk themselves. With heavy weight, they could carry loads of resources back to base from an extremely long haul. When Bison defecate, they drop a special feces called "cow pie" which is much better than other dinosaur feces, and more efficient, sometimes giving the crops a boost of extra harvest. With a unique cart or wagon saddle, depending on the type of saddle chosen affects how the player how much weight they can carry back and forth from point A to point B with more speed.

Raids: Having a livestock of these Bison will eventually lead to many predators wanting to assault your base to eat your beef, much in the same manner as how the Corrupted attack Element Veins/OSDs or the Nameless harassing you if you don't have a charge pet. You will have to turn full on cowboy to keep them at bay every now and then.

I really love this idea. Being a farmboy myself i'd love to see this creature added. Tho may i make a suggestion. when taming it. could it possibly be tamed by riding it (like the equus) but instead of feeding it food you have to feed it narcotics. this in turn makes it drowsy and eventually passes out. then you'd feed it its taming food. expanding on this, you could simply just ride it to tire it out, but using items such as narco berries, narcotics and biotoxin tires it out faster, meaning a faster taming process. its just an idea. but i think it'd be a really cool and fun way to tame the creature. 

As for abilities. Could its charge possibly be given the ability to break stone?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kodking194 said:

I really love this idea. Being a farmboy myself i'd love to see this creature added. Tho may i make a suggestion. when taming it. could it possibly be tamed by riding it (like the equus) but instead of feeding it food you have to feed it narcotics. this in turn makes it drowsy and eventually passes out. then you'd feed it its taming food. expanding on this, you could simply just ride it to tire it out, but using items such as narco berries, narcotics and biotoxin tires it out faster, meaning a faster taming process. its just an idea. but i think it'd be a really cool and fun way to tame the creature. 

As for abilities. Could its charge possibly be given the ability to break stone?

Possibly the feeding narcoberries/narcotics would work when doing the bull-ride, KO it and then feed it crops.

I'm not sure about the stone-crushing, people were asking for it to break metal, and I'll say Bison are strong, but no way are they destroying stone lol we already got stone-breaking dinosaurs.

Ever since I saw the Bison in the last community vote I got all excited because I thought that was such a great suggestion. The whole female bison producing milk that makes babies grow faster is such a great idea. I think the Bison would make a wonderful addition to the Ark world. Hopefully, we can ride both male and female once tamed (just mentioning this because the dossier someone made for it lol). 

Whoever made this you ROCK :D:

?imw=1024&imh=662&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

On 11/7/2021 at 1:00 PM, AnubisResurrected said:

There's a ton you can work with when regarding Bisons.

It's possible that they can be the first pack buffed herbivore, since they travel in herds, ideally they should get a similar pack buff like a Megalodon. 

I was thinking as a tertiary attack for the Bison it can also kick up dust and it would have a similar effect to the Tuso's ink'd debuff. 

For the main charge attack, I feel like it should do half of the Rhino's base damage but it gives a "compound fracture" debuff that slows down enemies severely, I'm talking almost slot capped trying to walk speed. The buff should last a minute and the cooldown should be 3 minutes. 

Due to them being in a herd they can also have a chance to have a calf with them, which would give the maewing baby stealing some use in PvE servers. 

How big do you think the herds should be? I think they should be groups 5 to 7. This would make this them one of the few creatures if not only creature to have be found in large numbers

• Thanks 1

On 11/7/2021 at 2:00 PM, AnubisResurrected said:

There's a ton you can work with when regarding Bisons.

It's possible that they can be the first pack buffed herbivore, since they travel in herds, ideally they should get a similar pack buff like a Megalodon. 

I was thinking as a tertiary attack for the Bison it can also kick up dust and it would have a similar effect to the Tuso's ink'd debuff. 

For the main charge attack, I feel like it should do half of the Rhino's base damage but it gives a "compound fracture" debuff that slows down enemies severely, I'm talking almost slot capped trying to walk speed. The buff should last a minute and the cooldown should be 3 minutes. 

Due to them being in a herd they can also have a chance to have a calf with them, which would give the maewing baby stealing some use in PvE servers. 

I’d like that a lot actually, I had suggested it in my Titanoceratops vote. Herd bonuses should’ve been a thing in Ark long ago, the game is heavily predator oriented and it kinda sucks that a lot of powerful animals like Triceratops, Parasaurolophus, and Iguanodon are reduced to weak beach tames. 

On 11/8/2021 at 3:24 PM, TheIronWolf45 said:

I had many ideas for the milk, but everyone is complaining that Wildcard wouldn't micromanage so many things I had planned out, some even saying that the milk idea would counter the Maewing for baby food. Same for the beef idea, everyone seems to have an alarmed grievance that the Bison will completely overshadow the Ovis in terms of their meats, and the beef would have too many other unique crafts. Its really all up to Wildcard in the end. But it seems people are focusing too much on the PVP meta than the PVE meta. But I am open to everyone's opinions to take into account what could affect.

I mean, those worries apply to PvE as well.

Let's not forget that Bison are tempermental. It's likely you're going to get gored if you get to close to them since they guys are very intolerant of persons or other animals drawing too close to the herd. Especially the Bulls. Would definitely make early game survival harder depending on where they spawn on the map. I'd assume the greener areas that are a bit more open though.

58 minutes ago, SirSquid said:

This is an amazing idea, not only does it have decent carry and combat ability if you're starting out naked and need a mount in early to mid game, but in late game it becomes even more amazing as that's when most players start breeding seriously. i hope that the milk will work on all creatures, i.e, herbivores, carnivores, and that it works as a substitute to primal crystals, nameless venom, ambergris and wyvern milk. honestly it would be the icing on the cake, streamlining the annoyances of breeding, now that we have the maewing and the incubation chamber. godspeed 😀

This is what I think makes the idea solid as well: good utility early-game, mid-game and late-game.  Each a different role as well.  We have a lot of creatures where they go unused after we advance past needing them.

This needs a wagon that allows you to pack and unpack a small base into it. It allows for people to be mobile. It can be used for pve and pvp. In pve they have a mobile base that can be used to set up shops or pretend to be an old pioneer. But this can also be used in pvp for mobile fobs and for smaller tribes and solo players to pack up and run from mega tribe trolls and hide until it's safe to find a new spot and unpack their base. This is very possible because last oasis has the ability to pack and unpack bases which is a very likable feature. It also imitates how the old pioneers set up camp along time ago.

18 hours ago, Gawdziller1954 said:

A suggestion that's popular that isn't some stupid mary-sue giga rival that makes other top tiers obsolete? Amazing! Count me in.

Titanoceratops - Anti-Giga

Carcharodontosaurus - Giga Rival

Rhyniognatha - Sky Giga

Like did they really think that would help their selection, it only appealed to the PVPers, but clearly the PVE base is stronger lol

On 12/14/2021 at 4:33 PM, TheIronWolf45 said:

Titanoceratops - Anti-Giga

Carcharodontosaurus - Giga Rival

Rhyniognatha - Sky Giga

Like did they really think that would help their selection, it only appealed to the PVPers, but clearly the PVE base is stronger lol

Rhyniognatha is getting half its votes for being OP lmao, not on the creature design. People really want a critter that makes literally EVERY  OTHER APEX TAME obsolete.

25 minutes ago, TheIronWolf45 said:

Possibly the feeding narcoberries/narcotics would work when doing the bull-ride, KO it and then feed it crops.

I'm not sure about the stone-crushing, people were asking for it to break metal, and I'll say Bison are strong, but no way are they destroying stone lol we already got stone-breaking dinosaurs.

if  its gets s charge attack, then the charge attack could possible have a build up meter, if its at full charge it could damage stone. metal seems like a bit of a stretch. another thing i thought of is possibly resistance to bullets, so reduced damage.