Suggestion

Name: Giant Bison

Species: Bison longicornis

Time: Pleistocene

Diet: Herbivore

Temperament: Territorial

Wild: Traveling in massive herds for greater pastures, the largest bovine in existence is a sight to behold. With their massive pair of horns, they are known to be aggressive chargers and capable of goring any predator willing to challenge them including wolves and bears. Their large bodies capable of withstanding the harshest winters with their ever-growing pelts, making them durable enough to resist freezing to death. 

Taming: Extremely sought for their pelts, horns, and the rich bovine milk, taming a Bison isn't as easy at it looks. Many tribesmen attempt to bull-ride in hopes to tire them out and begin feeding them when they aren't wide awake. Beware getting bucked off, I've seen many tribesmen knocked out with that heavy bull kick to the face. Some get gored if unlucky enough.

Domesticated: Once they are tamed, this of course unfortunately attracts every now and then random predators who want to raid your livestock and eat them all. The milk produced by the females gives any baby animal being raised a quite needed boost, potentially can be warmed up in an cooking pot for a special buff against the cold weather. With their hulking bodies, they offer extra warmth and can carry weight much like modern ox. Like modern cattle, their feces is much more potent fertilizer often referred to as "cow pie" that gives crops a boost of extra harvest.

Bison latifrons (aka the giant bison) lived in North America during the  Pleistocene epoch and was the largest and heaviest bison species to ever  live in North America. They stood 2m (6.6ft)

ARK Meta:

Combat: Built in with a charge mechanic similar to Triceratops and the Woolly Rhinoceros, the Bison could impale its victims into their horns and gore them to bleed out, as well a herd buff to boost their strength with mate boost activated, dealing extreme damage. Crippling debuff inflicted on players and dinosaurs if it successfully charges.

Utility: Another farm animal for the common PVE (or RP) players who would love a cow in ARK (like the ones in Atlas). Bison milk in turn could be cooked warmly to drink as an insulation buff against the cold, or fed to babies, especially baby Wyverns who require milk themselves.  When Bison defecate, they drop a special feces called "cow pie" which is much better than other dinosaur feces, and more efficient, sometimes giving the crops a boost of extra harvest. With a unique cart or wagon saddle, depending on the type of saddle chosen affects how the player how much weight they can carry back and forth from point A to point B with more speed. The amount of Bison needed for the type of cart or wagon saddle affects not only speed, the weight and the mobility of the mini-wheeled base.

Bison-drawn carriage in Sioux Falls, South Dakota 1900 : r/OldSchoolCool

Raids: Having a livestock of these Bison will eventually lead to many predators wanting to assault your base to eat your beef, much in the same manner as how the Corrupted attack Element Veins/OSDs or the Nameless harassing you if you don't have a charge pet. You will have to turn full on cowboy to keep them at bay every now and then.

FJORDUR:

- Useful in colder areas, especially Jotunheim, the bison's thick fur pelt will keep the player protected from the dangerous sub-zero temperatures and deter off any nasty wolves or bears who dare come too close.

- Major harvester if on a trip on foot to harvest metal or wood, or various other resources, depending on the cart or wagon saddle will speed determine the rough terrain.

- With predatory dinosaurs and other animals wanting to eat your livestock, you could either use this to your advantage to lure a high level carnivore or simply farm experience from killing them all.

Edited by TheIronWolf45
Adding more info to the submission.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 7
  • Answers 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

Name: Giant Bison Species: Bison longicornis Time: Pleistocene Diet: Herbivore Temperament: Territorial   Wild: Traveling in massive herds for greater pastures, the large

This creature will be useless to this game plus I like creatures that are strong but this one will be weak plus people will get board of this

Of course thats all we need is another pointless dino in my opinion like the rhino. yeah sure colors might be good but other than that its not worth the time taming.

Posted Images

153 replies to this server topic

I remember this creature almost in the top ten last time, so hopefully it gets more votes. Anyway, here were my ideas for the Giant Bison:

Common Name: Giant Bison

Species: Bison longcornis (based on Bison latifrons)

Time: Pleistocene

Diet: Herbivore

Temperament: Defensive

Wild

Named after their incredibly long horns, Bison longcornis are quite impressive to say the least. Their horns exceed Trike horns in length and even rival Mammoth tusks in strength, making them very resilient animals. The front half of their bodies are covered in a thick mat of hair, especially their heads which remind me of an afro of sorts, while the back of their bodies have shorter, finer hairs. 

Like their present day descendants, Bison are sexually dimorphic in nature, where the males are a bit larger than the females and have more pronounced "afros". 

The horns of Bison cover quite a large area from side to side, which provides great protection against larger predators. When in a herd, Bison will defend their offspring by surrounding them in a barrier with their horns so nothing can get past them. If anything gets too close, watch out as they will fling their aggressor away with their horns, and they can throw them far!

Domesticated

Bison are quite difficult to tame, though I have seen tribes bull ride them until they tire out, which takes guts, strength, and patience. Due to their resilience and defensive nature, many tribes seek out Bison as a pack mule to carry huge loads. Alternatively, they are used as a mobile barricade! If one tames enough Bison, they can corral other Dinos in a temporary pen to prevent them from escaping or block anyone from getting past the defensive line (unless you fly of course).

Bison hair is extremely comfortable as well, so it is sometimes sheared off for clothing or bedding, though I have seen tribes actually give their Bison stylish hairdos.

Supplemental Information

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bison_latifrons 

Information outside Dossier

• To tame, you need to ride the Giant Bison (like the Equus), but you need to stay on as long as you can until its stamina runs low enough to feed it. It may take several attempts, but with enough "guts, strength, and patience" you can have one of your own!
  • I would imagine that the saddle will allow walls of different materials to be placed in the Skin slot to create the barricade under the Giant Bison's horns. The walls will have reduced durability though so pack enough just in case! (Thatch, Wood, Stone, and Metal usable, but not TEK)
  • Just like Survivors, Giant Bison can have hairstyles too! Just use the Scissors and snip away! (note that their hair is tougher than human hair or Ovis wool, so using Scissors on them will make them lose more durability).
  • If the Devs introduce this guy, can there be a limbo emote so Survivors can do the limbo under its horns???

F2.large.jpg

Bison_latifrons_fossil_buffalo_(Pleistocene;_North_America)_1_(15257877377) (1).jpg

giant bison ARK.jpg

Edited by RaephClark

There's a ton you can work with when regarding Bisons.

It's possible that they can be the first pack buffed herbivore, since they travel in herds, ideally they should get a similar pack buff like a Megalodon. 

I was thinking as a tertiary attack for the Bison it can also kick up dust and it would have a similar effect to the Tuso's ink'd debuff. 

For the main charge attack, I feel like it should do half of the Rhino's base damage but it gives a "compound fracture" debuff that slows down enemies severely, I'm talking almost slot capped trying to walk speed. The buff should last a minute and the cooldown should be 3 minutes. 

Due to them being in a herd they can also have a chance to have a calf with them, which would give the maewing baby stealing some use in PvE servers. 

I really hope the ice cattle wins. I'm a huge fan of this concept and this is the only creature I would love to have for my map Fjordur. I dont care about people who say "this creature will be useless for PVP etc.". Fjordur wasnt made to be a PVP map and I prefer to get a PVE creature for it. PVP isn't important in ark for me.

So lets hope this wins! ❤️

• Like 3

I think that it should shed off fur over time when tamed or in the wild so it adds a little bit of realism and makes it easier to start off in the snow biomes. I would also like to see the horns vary in size and shape to add diversity and more realism cause irl not all bison have the same horns and so did the prehistoric ones

While Ark is a "dinosaur" game, there are no pure herbs that are large mammals. Most are omnivours. A strong herb that you have to earn, via the whole bull riding, would be awesome and I think them having a herb bonus as well for people that enjoy playing no flyer style. You can get a sturdy caravan of them, some pulling carts others acting as defense for the others. A lot of possibilities with this one. 

4 minutes ago, UpFromTheDepths said:

I'd love if you could use the milk to make cheese in game! Maybe cheese gives you a unique buff of some sort?

I had many ideas for the milk, but everyone is complaining that Wildcard wouldn't micromanage so many things I had planned out, some even saying that the milk idea would counter the Maewing for baby food. Same for the beef idea, everyone seems to have an alarmed grievance that the Bison will completely overshadow the Ovis in terms of their meats, and the beef would have too many other unique crafts. Its really all up to Wildcard in the end. But it seems people are focusing too much on the PVP meta than the PVE meta. But I am open to everyone's opinions to take into account what could affect.

The Bison is easily the best and most fitting option for Fjordur. All things considered we're already getting a battle tank and a damage dealer set of creatures with the map so something with utility purposes like the Bison would be beyond ideal for this sort of map and that lineup of creatures. I desperately want to see this happen. 

I was going to suggest this myself and thought they would definitely be perfect for the map.

Able to take on most small to medium predators.

Provides an insulation buff to the rider.

Roams in herds and get a herd buff when in groups of up to four making for a safe caravan kind of travel

Weight reduction on gathering berries and thatch. Females could produce a new resource of milk for recipes and tames.

Cripple with horns and even smaller creatures can be stabbed and lifted up by the horns.

Charge attack and trample ability.

Love the idea, it’s a good suggestion, but you should avoid redundancy, which invalidates those creatures as @soepie7said, also one idea would be a rage mechanic, which when activated would ensue in the bull bucking to throw the rider off and then going on a rampage, HOWEVER if the rider manages to stay on (minigame like fishing), they will be able to take full advantage of the rage stats boost