ocean Helicoprion - Saw Shark

Suggestion

EDIT: 11/7

I understand that Helicoprion as well as a lot of other creatures are being worked on by Garuga for Ark Additions. While that mod may exist, there are people that play on console and official that do not have access to these creatures. I think gatekeeping an animal is stupid. A creature should only be frowned upon once it is advertised as being the exact creature in a mod, like last vote's fiasco with Garuga's Acro. 

Helicoprion was a medium-large to large shark relative from the Permian period that went extinct during the Great Dying mass extinction. It has a circular tooth whorl on its bottom jaw and used it to cut and tear its prey. They were most likely loners, but came together in breeding grounds during their mating season. Helicoprion's closest living relative is the Ratfish, or Chimera, which is a small, cute shark relative.

Helicoprion would be much faster than the Megalodon, and would give a bleed status affect. It would be a great harvester of organic polymer, hide, and keratin. I think it should have a pack boost capping at +4 other Helicoprion, and be slightly faster than the Megalodon. It would have a leap movement, and a "suffocation" meter so it can flop around on land for a short time, to drag Kairuku down to the depths (hence organic polymer harvester).

To tame it you would either need Tusoteuthis Tentacles, as suggested in the old thread in the first vote, or organic polymer. Tentacles would act as "kibble" while polymer is their "prime fish". They can also be tamed with regular fish and prime fish, however it would take stacks and a very long time, on top of losing taming effectiveness

Art: ARK's Helicoprion would look more similar to a Chimera rather than a shark like Megalodon or a modern slim shark like the tiger or blacktip shark. Its patterning is also reminiscent of a Chimera.

helicoprion_dossier_watermarked.png 

Edited by NeoVanilluxe

7 replies to this server topic

On 11/7/2021 at 2:21 AM, UpFromTheDepths said:

Helicoprion is cool but ARK Additions is already getting one and it's got an amazing awesome design. If anyone can get it done, it's Garuga. And I don't think anyone wants his work invalidated. 

With all due respect, I don't think that Garuga having Helicoprion in his list of intended creatures to be made should suddenly render any entries and ideas of the same animal from other users invalid. Garuga doesn't suddenly own the rights to that animal being in ARK, and even then, most people who play the game do so without mods. Neo hasn't stolen any concepts nor ideas from the mod developer so the entry is entirely valid. Art and effort went into both of these ideas; perhaps it's a good idea to let lesser known creators also be heard, rather than flat-out saying no because this creator is already planning on doing it.

5 hours ago, gabeluna27 said:

Right. I didn't see anything regarding something like having rights to something like this or not. It's not like a popular mod should mean "No no!", because Garuga, doesn't have rights for anything, nor is he even entitled to have something go his way. In his discord, he confirmed his discussions with the Ark moderators about the Deinonychus and Amargasaurus situations, contrary to entitled accusations you may find about them. He only makes these creatures because he feels like giving them an in-game spotlight chance, and he doesn't mind too much about any ideas he had being in these suggestion forums when regarding Lost Island, so I can assume the same for Fjordur.

I never had anything against Garuga, though. I think his mods are great and he's handling this stuff well. What you're saying is exactly my point; the creatures should have a chance to be in the spotlight for ARK, modded or not. Apologies if my wording towards Garuga came across that way, but I have nothing against the guy. I wish him and his mods well. What I have an issue with is fans of the mod prioritising and almost gatekeeping (to an extent) extinct animals for a mod that most players unfortunately won't be able to use.

10 hours ago, gabeluna27 said:

Right. I didn't see anything regarding something like having rights to something like this or not. It's not like a popular mod should mean "No no!", because Garuga, doesn't have rights for anything, nor is he even entitled to have something go his way. In his discord, he confirmed his discussions with the Ark moderators about the Deinonychus and Amargasaurus situations, contrary to entitled accusations you may find about them. He only makes these creatures because he feels like giving them an in-game spotlight chance, and he doesn't mind too much about any ideas he had being in these suggestion forums when regarding Lost Island, so I can assume the same for Fjordur.

What they should've done is wait until the vote is finished and the winners announced. Then take a look at the other suggestions that didn't make it and ask the creature creator's if they could make them. I'd imagine they'll say yes because then it's at least sort of in the game though a mod even though it didn't make it to official. This is no disrespect to the creators of the mod, I'm not sure if this was a mistake but I doubt it is considering how someone (who I think is involved with the mod in some way) seemed quite rude and confrontational. I'm also pretty sure that NeoVanilluxe who submitted this amazing creature, did so before they creature began to be made in the mod. Again this is not an insult to the creators of the mod.

1 hour ago, edmundium said:

With all due respect, I don't think that Garuga having Helicoprion in his list of intended creatures to be made should suddenly render any entries and ideas of the same animal from other users invalid. Garuga doesn't suddenly own the rights to that animal being in ARK, and even then, most people who play the game do so without mods. Neo hasn't stolen any concepts nor ideas from the mod developer so the entry is entirely valid. Art and effort went into both of these ideas; perhaps it's a good idea to let lesser known creators also be heard, rather than flat-out saying no because this creator is already planning on doing it.

Edited by gabeluna27
Extended last sentence for further clarity.

I'm surprised nobody is acknowledging its "buzzsaw-jaw" for the purpose of turning it into an "underwater chainsaw", since you can't use them underwater to begin with. This would make farming prime fish, oil and even coral fungal wood on Gen Part 1 and surprisingly Fjordur since the water has coral fungal wood.

Edited by TheIronWolf45
Grammar error