Sudden FPS drop after months of playing with 50+ FPS

JohnSmithh

I have been playing ARK on the Island for several months now and it has been going fine, until 2 or 3 weeks ago when I booted up my world (non-dedicated session). My FPS now maxes around 15 even on Low graphics settings. Switching to Epic graphics barely changes FPS at all. For comparison, I had previously been getting a steady 50+ FPS on High graphics settings. I have tried to verify integrity of game files several times through steam to no effect and I recently uninstalled and reinstalled the entire game and removed all mods, but I still experience the low FPS. I have done extensive hardware checks and experience no similar effects in any other games on my PC, so I believe it is most likely a game-related issue. I noticed the sudden drop in FPS sometime between 10/1 and 10/14 (I can't recall the exact date) Does anyone know what might have changed or what I could do to fix this issue?

Download the free version of this utility to check your temperatures and to check the speed that each of your cores is running at.
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Have you recently installed any new graphics or system drivers?

You say other games are unaffected... Ark uses a version of Unreal from 2015/16 ish.  It's not unusual for some new "feature" of a graphics card driver or system driver to hit the performance of some games but not others.

You could also run task manager and watch the %age CPU use of Ark - does the non-dedicated server show as a separate process?
Is the CPU maxed out, or is RAM maxed out?

I used the HWMonitor tool and found that the both CPU and GPU temperatures are in a safe range. My CPU clock speeds are all roughly maxed out around 4200 MHz.

I did recently install updated NVIDIA graphics card drivers, but only after the sudden change in my game's performance as an attempt to fix it.

In task manager when I am running my world, nothing is near maxed out. CPU remains steady around 20%, GPU around 30%, and RAM around 63% for my entire system

17 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

THis is probalby a stupid question, but - is this a laptop or a desktop pc?   If it's a laptop - make sure its plugged in... My tribemate and I would have this issue crop up on our gaming laptops and would always be that we forgot to plug it in while playing.

it's a desktop PC

Does your motherboard have a built in gpu?   If it has a built in Radeon and you have a discrete nvidia gpu attached,  make sure your monitor cables didn’t get put in the motherboard output accidentally.   It wouldnt be the first time a house keeper knocked out a cable and fit it back in the first slot they saw it fit.

Thank you everyone for the help. I just figured out the issue and it is truly absurd. On 10/5 I downloaded a tool, Citrix Workspace, so that I could run an SPSS statistics tool for a college class. In my specs that I posted above, I noticed "Citrix Indirect Display Adapter" under my video card section. Evidently this tool was interfering with my graphics card, causing dramatic decreases in performance. I uninstalled the program and now can play ARK with a consistent 60-70 frames on Epic display settings.

Archived