Community Crunch 49 and ARK Digest 32!

Jen

Hello Survivors!

This week I'll be bringing you our Community Crunch and our ARK Digest. If you are a video content creator don't forget to check out the Community Contest section below for some news!

Let's start off with a quick reminder:

Map Biome Changes!

The expected release of the map biome changes is approaching! We have released an update that shows the in-game area that will be affected by these biome changes. Restart your Steam Client for the update, Mac/Linux will be available soon.

Here is some additional information about this, including an updated map:

Digest Q&A!

Here is our question and answer session with Lead Designer, Lead Programmer, and Co-Creative Director: Jeremy "Drake" Stieglitz!

Survivor, Pla, asks, "Will you add ranks with privileges to alliances? It would be really neat to set some people of the allied tribe into a group so they can open your doors, ride your dinos, access the inventory, ...!" and Survivor, Mork, asks, "Any plans to expand or alter the usefulness of Tribe Alliances? Alliance chat? At Least Some Shared XP? Alliance Rideable dinos? (Able to designate a dino for alliance use) Alliance Dino Breeding?"

Yeah, I’ll be adding Alliance chat and some cross-Alliance Privilege systems similar to what you describe in the relatively near future.

Survivor, Zuko65, asks, "I'm curious as to what your standpoint is on the current state of the PvP more specifically flyers. I know there is a large portion of people who would like to see quetz platforms removed and would this be something that you would consider? If not, what is your standpoint on turrets on a quetz?"

We won’t be removing Quetz Platforms outright, but in June we’ll be adding a powerful chain bola for bringing down large flyers/dinos, as well as rebalancing the Quetz generally.  Also, v242 imposes some limitations on plant turrets in that they’ll consume fertilizer per shot, as well as cease to fire if they are out of fertilizer or water. If that doesn’t bring Quetz’s into line, we may also prevent auto-turrets from being placed on Dino Platforms (server option per creature type ).

Survivor, Loganecho, asks, "Are there any plans to add the new biomes to The Center map as well?"

Yeah the Center will be getting continued work, including additional Caverns and further biome development.

Survivor, Mendoza, asks, "Will there ever be the ability to hold a torch and a weapon / tool at the same time?"

I’ll be getting around to this in the near future ;)

Survivor, Pla, asks, "Will you fix the problem transferring ARK data from one unofficial server to another? I was able to transfer the items between two of my servers until I added too much items and now even after reinstalling ARK on a separate hard drive it is broken."

A quick refresher on how this works: Open the Tribute Terminal. Choose Transmit ARK Data, click on the item in your inventory and click "Transfer To ARK". The UI will show as "ARK DATA" and display the items added to the Ark. The items you wish to upload do not go into the Tribute Terminal inventory (where you put the artifacts). That said, we’ll be looking at fixing any issue with too many items breaking the process ASAP.

Survivor, Jor, asks, "Just an idea for the stat "Crafting Speed".  Could you design it so that the higher the stat, there is a chance we could craft a higher end item?  I know that you can create items faster with this stat but I have never seen anyone actually ever use it.  I'm sure those people exist but I've yet to encounter any."

Yeah sure, that’s a pretty cool idea. Will see if we can get that balanced-up accordingly, and if so will  rename the stat, of course!

Survivor, Atila00, asks, "Are we gonna get a solution about all of the impossible blueprint craft when ressources needed too big for a Smithy or a Beaver (Like blueprint that need more 35k metal, 27k hide, 20k fiber and even more of other ressources)."

Indeed the Tek Tier’s Replicator will take care of that!

Survivor, PapaPoof, asks, "Could you make it easier to remove engrams? I will be opening a server, with giga saddle and quetz platform removed. So I have to type in every engram that I want to allow, rather then the engrams that I don't want. Maybe check boxes for the engrams so I can check the ones I want and uncheck the ones I don't want? Thank you! Keep up the good work!"

Yeah I’ll add the option to also specify a list engrams to hide, rather than just engrams to use.

Survivor, Grilledamoeba, asks, "Are there any plans to expand upon the ARK's flora? Individualized plant to berries/fruits so you can search out particular berries/fruits, instead of swinging randomly at vegetation until you gather the berry you are searching for? Specific plants providing benefits/harm? Different animals each preferring a different variety of vegetation, instead of the generic Mejoberry? Any plans to expand the farming aspect of the game?"

We plan to do a plant-oriented resource-specification pass once all the biomes are in, so that the different kinds of resources (and there will be more kinds) are more specialized to unique plants found in the various biomes.

Survivor, OnePotatoChip, asks, "So I'm guessing there's a reason we can collect other survivors' specimen implants. Wanna shed some light?"

Currently just for (murderous) bragging rights, but we’ll likely have some other uses for them in the future...

Survivor, GGSDubSt3pz, asks, "Will there ever be an option to dismantle items to get around 25% of the materials back? Lower quality guns are useless when you have higher ones. It would be cool to destroy the hundreds of longnecks, crossbows and tools you found in drops or alphas, instead of throw them away or store them in the useless stuff box. :D"

Yes there will be a Replicator at the Tek Tier level which can do this.

Survivor, Fatrickprank, asks, "What would the Black Pearl be used for in future updates? Will there be any other way besides the Eurypterid to harvest the Black Pearls?"

It’ll have a lot of uses for some upcoming items, and so far just from the Eurypterid but may add other methods to acquire them in the future.

Survivor, Mendoza, asks, "Will we see more types of Booby Traps? (Hidden Trap Doors for multi-story buildings, Shot Gun Rigged doors, C4 / Narc rigged boxes, 1x1 spikes that can be placed on ceilings / floors, Spring loaded rope traps that hangs the captive upside down in a tree, snares, falling rocks, boulders or logs, pressure plates etc.... )"

I’m planning on more features (Forum/Email notification) for the Alarm trap, as well as a Disease Trap, and explicitly tying any Trip Wires to doors as you describe. Also planning laser trips at the Tek Tier level. Beyond that, we’ll see :)

Survivor, H0gtitties, asks, "What were the thoughts and discussions around making the snow biome larger? What was the impetus for the change? Are there any plans for sub-biomes like a frozen tundra to ease the transition into the snow biome. With the expansion of the snow biome are there any plans in the near future for perhaps additional snow dwelling dinosaurs that can be shared or teased?"

Yeah the snow biome will over time be getting more diversification into tundra-like transition area. There will be a couple more cold-climate creatures to be revealed, one of which is well known to fans of duck-billed creatures. 

Survivor, Vis02001, asks, "What types of mods will we get to see officially in the game? Will the ones the win the contests be on the Xbox version?"

When they become essentially finished, we’ll be considering Mod Contest Winners for Official inclusion. ;)

Survivor, Jazzop, asks, "Any chance you can add a hotkey to change arrow type, maybe hold down the crossbow hotbar selection and press another button to switch from tranqs to normal."

Soon right-clicking on a Folder will equip everything in that folder, for rapid gear switching.

Survivor, Tomb, asks, "So how is it going with the easy to make offline raid server setting (from a older digest) that  would come "next patch"? ;)"

Check the v242 patch notes. ;)

Next we’ll be moving on to the Community Crunch segment! The Crunch is a weekly topic that consist of content to share, made by the community, for the community! As well as any little changes we want to make survivors aware about, which happen within our community.

Fan Feature!

Dodo Platform Saddle by danleveille
EF674832F99246C5210B6D6969A63F27D4F84D8B
Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=689098776

Ark Gigas Meme by Kingangus
D90DD00287565379FB1BCE40F3FDCC2EABCE4D2F
Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=689170542

Postosuchus Dossier by Tomtoyer
Postosuchus.jpg

Edmontosaurus Dossier by TomtoyerEdmontosaurus.jpg

Lao-Lao Dossier by Shadlos
8483475BF8A497F5B9406FBC7C4BAB04D3981E52
Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=692125216

Dossier: Platyceramus by Titan Cat
BE72041257C625DD8E9BF3457133C00EA4C4C48F
Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691784812

Ark Survival by Madara
25C09141203F6173E675343DE1769325E9B5EE50
Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691769308

Dodo Rex by Nyx
385BD16534E1E36CFC46BE6E9FE436F5D9802ED8
Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=689047192

Black Market by Dedal
EED4304A408D17949968B60B5C0AF577AE0BA179
1BEE10C2E69CF2B07DC2520F741C88298A8651CC
BB68630FD53AA4F8BE6CD7FC9B03ED9BA941F7BD
Source: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198039414045/images/?appid=346110

Shipbuilding by Fin
14641825082981957222890.jpg
Source:

Isengard recreation at volvan by d0nCh3t0oki11ed13241259_463883270472581_7478359304233764700_n.jpg

Hot Air Balloon by Morth
790CDBC337323589178DCAF92D614136B729636F
Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=688113552

Horde-Ork by milokamilo
110F472B01C894CC10F2C0FD7FA03CC10F03C21A
Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=687995193

ARK BESTIARY: LYSTROSAURUS (The Ultimate Survivor)

ARK PARODIES #1 - BREAKING BAD

ARK Survival Evolved | Challenging PVP Arena | Build Showcase by Fresonis

Ark Character Introduction: The Dark Knight/Batman by AmaiMnFrak

Poetry by Trentifus 

Community Contests!

This will be the last week for ARKArt as it heads into retirement. But fear not Survivors, we will be opening a new Community Contest for all of our talented video creators! Up until now you've only been able to included in our feature section, but now you are able to compete for prizes! This new Contest will be open for all types of video be they funny, epic, scenic, stories, whatever inspires you. Just a general reminder that they should remain safe for work, think of the children!

$200 each will be awarded to the winner of ARKitect and well as the winner of the new ARKVideo category. We'd love to see some videos and/or builds taking place on the new Center map! We look forward to see what you all come up with next week.

ARKitect

This is an award given to Survivors to celebrate the amazing structures you build. These bases are judged based upon a number of different factors such as their creativity, uniqueness, how fun of a base it is, the difficulty of building it, the functionality it provides and much more!

The ARKitect for Community Crunch 49 is…

Club Wolf by Wolf Angelus!

And…

Arkperture turret by Valoule!

mrT1snt.jpg

We'd also like to give a honourable mention/runner up place to Helm's Deep by FataL1ty!

large.20160527203632_1.jpg.32a44361196f8

ARKArt

This is an award given to survivors who have created beautiful work of art for that week! As always, the artwork is not being judged on the quality of the screenshot or the graphical settings used, but instead what you have managed to draw and produce in game.

The ARKArtist for Community Crunch 49 is…

Rex in a Jet by FataL1ty!

large.20160528005802_1.jpg.7b1426cd36ca2

Thank you for all the entries this week guys! Congratulations to all our winners and if you’d like to take a look at what all the survivors submitted, you can do so here:

Workshop Spotlight!

In place of Cedric’s normal workshop spotlight we have a question and answer session with Lead Level Designer at Studio Wildcard, Damien Bull from our livestream earlier today! Make sure to give it a watch.

Watch live video from SurviveTheArk on www.twitch.tv

That’s it for this week’s post guys! As always if you’ve got anything to share please get in touch and be sure to follow us on Twitter at @survivetheark - Facebook at www.facebook.com/survivetheark and Reddit at www.reddit.com/r/playark

Much love,
Wildcard Jen and the ARK Survival Evolved Team

View full article

There will be a couple more cold-climate creatures to be revealed, one of which is well known to fans of duck-billed creatures. 

Hm, I tried looking up various Hadrosaurs that lived in colder climates but so far I haven't come up with anything except some pages mentioning Edmontosaurus which was found in Canada,

Also the Lao-Lao fan dossier makes me think of River Monsters just by the fact it mentions Piraiba catfish.

1 hour ago, Hope said:

Hm, I tried looking up various Hadrosaurs that lived in colder climates but so far I haven't come up with anything except some pages mentioning Edmontosaurus which was found in Canada,

Also the Lao-Lao fan dossier makes me think of River Monsters just by the fact it mentions Piraiba catfish.

Yes, I was actually watching river monsters on 5/27/2016 and he was referring to the Piraiba as a "Lao-Lao", so I decided to go ahead and make one. ;)

Also, as for cold-weather "duck bills", I could add Hadrosaurus, but there's also the possibility that they're including Iguanodonts in this family as we all did when we were kids, which makes me think Muttaburrasaurus.

36 minutes ago, Shadlos said:

Yes, I was actually watching river monsters on 5/27/2016 and he was referring to the Piraiba as a "Lao-Lao", so I decided to go ahead and make one. ;)

Also, as for cold-weather "duck bills", I could add Hadrosaurus, but there's also the possibility that they're including Iguanodonts in this family as we all did when we were kids, which makes me think Muttaburrasaurus.

Nice, another River Monsters fan. c:

They're going to add Iguanodons, but I figure that's not what they meant.

Is there going to be a feats system or a character class system to enhance the RP aspect of this game? I feel like it would really help the player be able to play the game the way they want to. For instance, if someone likes to tame, they can invest in tameing buffing "feats". If they like to mine then they can invest in feats that allow them to carry extra metal or have a chance to harvest extra crystal. Hate being attacked by buggs? Have a feet to reduce aggro from bugs. This feats system would be in addition to the stats and engram mechanics.

I just want to know how easy/hard it is to make treehouses in the Redwood biome. The few preview builds posted show the standard stilt house designs built into the model of the redwoods. It would be nice if you can attach ceiling tiles to the Redwood as if it were a giant pillar, with some extra building radius than the standard 2 tile radius for pillars. Also, if the boughs of the redwoods can be spaced enough so that if you do build a structure, the tree branches are not clipping the structure much as to obscure the visibility of the interior. This also has the benefit of camouflaging above and below.

I'm going to miss ARKArt, and thanks to everyone that has contributed!  

I do have to admit I'm excited by the inclusion of an official ARKVideo contest, and very grateful that the decision was made to make this a new category for competition.

This community has an incredible amount of talent in everything from art to modding... from design and building to poetry... it's amazing really, and now that videos are an official thing in the Community Crunch I can't wait to see what people will do next.  It will undoubtedly be a very stiff competition, as some of you guys are already doing work of a quality I haven't seen in association with any other game.

You can rest assured I'll have a dog or two in that race... but win, lose, or draw, it's going to be a whole lot of fun!

So there will be a privelage system implemented in the Tribe alliances. Sounds good for those who play in tribes. Can you not do anything to help solo players? They probably make up a large part of your userbase and the fact solo players will never last more than a week in a pvp server is troubling. Starting over and rebuilding has become very tiring. Ive worked hard at many strats and learned alot how to become a leaner meaner fighter in these Pvp servers but inevitably will be beaten by groups of sloppy players whose only skill is running in numbers. Is it not possible to have solo servers? These servers could run in a similar way to Counterstrike operates on the xbox platform to prevent cheating you cannot play in these servers if you in party chat. Maybe not the greatest idea but if there anything you can do to help solo players please do.

I just got done watching the Q&A.  Thanks Cedric and Damien, I like the format.

I have to admit, I perked up at the mention that some work may be done on meadows, and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if a lot of the wooded/jungle area's got thinned out a bit as well.  It's those dang smaller palms that cause the most grief as far as dino pathfinding.

I just noticed the comment on the new video contest and have an important question for one of the Community Managers (that I am sure others will wonder about too) 
Q: How will this work for those creating an ARKitect entry but presenting it as a tour in video form? Can we still enter for ARKitect using video and specify it is just to present the build or does it have to be strictly screenshots now? (Odds are I will be doing video and screenshots for anything now since I upgraded my RAM to make it possible)

Hope a CM can provide a clear answer.
Thank you.

Survivor, Jor, asks, "Just an idea for the stat "Crafting Speed".  Could you design it so that the higher the stat, there is a chance we could craft a higher end item?  I know that you can create items faster with this stat but I have never seen anyone actually ever use it.  I'm sure those people exist but I've yet to encounter any."

Yeah sure, that’s a pretty cool idea. Will see if we can get that balanced-up accordingly, and if so will  rename the stat, of course!

#BestIdeaEver awesome, thank you !!! Some of us have waited for this for a long time

Survivor, Jazzop, asks, "Any chance you can add a hotkey to change arrow type, maybe hold down the crossbow hotbar selection and press another button to switch from tranqs to normal."

Soon right-clicking on a Folder will equip everything in that folder, for rapid gear switching.

@Jazzop I really want to know this, too. I hope you ask your question again :) Switching ammo without going into the inventory would be great!

Please do not nerf plant turrets to much. they are they only real practical defence against quetzals carrying a turtle and draining all of your auto turrets. Now they will be able to drain your plant turrets too???  As far as I'm concerned this only makes the quetzal more OP.  

If if you must make plant turrets use more water please at least update the plumbing system.  Give us at least Horizontal 45 and 22.5 degree angles. Maybe even a ground water well because everyone who has ever fallen through the map knows what lies below!

Okay...

From what i undertstand about the Quetzal nerf people have been complaining about how powerful quetzals are. I understand, quetzals are quite strong, but no where near invincible. It's easy to bring down quetzals either with a good amount of ammo in auto-turrets or plenty of plants in places which giga's can't reach or even other quetzals if you'd believe that :/ quetzal air battles are by far the best part of PvP. If you nerf quetzals too much it will basically take flying battles out of the game completely, especially if you can bola everything out of the sky, seems a waste to have flyers in pvp in that case.

Now, in the same Q&A about nerfing quetzals you talk about nerfing plant turrets... ?!?!?!... what is this? You're wanting to nerf quetzals and their platforms so you decide to nerf the most common and really effective base defence against flyers? People can't even put their turrets on attack everything anymore since the plant turrets will just empty themselves, meaning that people will be able to drop carnos in bases and we wont be able to defend unless we want our plant turrets to die over night or put auto turrets with expensive ammo to attack everything... That just makes my head spin thinking about how you've come up with that answer and seen it as a sensible thing to do. Rethink everything you've said about the quetzal and plant turret nerfs.

I have some advice for any of the devs working on the quetzal and plant nerfs, play the game. Please! You're basically catering to lower level tribes and weakening all the alpha tribes and taking flying combat out of the game. Just play the game please, look at it from everyones point of view, especially the alpha tribes as they're going to get hit the hardest. Alpha tribes got into their positions with hard work and dedication. Don't undermine all their hard work because a few whiners have complained about quetzals.

49 minutes ago, nydarri said:

I have some advice for any of the devs working on the quetzal and plant nerfs, play the game. Please! You're basically catering to lower level tribes and weakening all the alpha tribes and taking flying combat out of the game. Just play the game please, look at it from everyones point of view, especially the alpha tribes as they're going to get hit the hardest. Alpha tribes got into their positions with hard work and dedication. Don't undermine all their hard work because a few whiners have complained about quetzals.

In my opinion nerfing the plant turrets would hit the low level players, solo players and small tribes the hardest.  The plant turret is the only defence untill you can build an auto turret and still the amount of gun powder it takes to fill the turrets is ridiculous for a solo player.

i am in a 2 man tribe and filling plant turrets is becoming a chore as is with the dung beetle.  Now we need to get another dung beetle just to keep up.

i understand having to do maintenance but the whole game shouldn't be a constant grind to refill your turrets.  Please devs re think this. As nydarri said, play the game. Play as a solo player or a 2 man tribe and get wiped repeatedly untill you grow so many plant turrets that raiders just look at it and say "nope".  Plant turrets are our only salvation!

PS- I'm finally to the point where I could feasibly tame a quetz and it's getting nerfed... *Sigh*

37 minutes ago, Benny403 said:

In my opinion nerfing the plant turrets would hit the low level players, solo players and small tribes the hardest.  The plant turret is the only defence untill you can build an auto turret and still the amount of gun powder it takes to fill the turrets is ridiculous for a solo player.

That's a good point, i hope devs are reading this stuff. The plant turret nerfs are unwarranted to say the least, It's hard enough keeping them up with small tribes who have few but when you've banked most of your base defense on plant turrets it will be impossible to upkeep without forcing ark to become more of a job than a hobby.

When i talk about alpha tribes getting hit the hardest i'm mainly speaking about quetzals, they get hit hard by the amount of plants they'll have to upkeep too but most of the big tribes pride themselves on good quetzal designs and air superiority. Taking all that away from them will backfre on the devs as it'll upset a lot of your hardcore fans who've spent the last few months taming/breeding the perfect battle quetzals. If they go through with the plant turret nerf and depending on how bad the quetzal nerf is they'll upset a lot more people than who are already upset about not being able to build a good quetzal platform...

17 hours ago, Jen said:

Survivor, Fatrickprank, asks, "What would the Black Pearl be used for in future updates? Will there be any other way besides the Eurypterid to harvest the Black Pearls?"

Dossier: Platyceramus by Titan Cat
BE72041257C625DD8E9BF3457133C00EA4C4C48F

Perfect ^~^, Another source of blackpearls could be the platyceramus ^~^

Edited by ImpureFrost