Server not visible if query port is anything other than 27015-27019?

MorkZaDork

This has been driving me mad, hoping someone knows the answer. I'm trying to set up 7 different servers on the same machine. They won't run at the same time, but I want to have them all have different ports to make starting/stopping them easy, without having to reconfigure the launchers.

The first 5 servers work just fine, zero problem. But when I try to start the 6th and 7th servers, they start, but they are not visible. I've tracked down the problem to the query port and from googling I know several others have this same problem, but I've not been able to find anybody who's actually resolved it. Hoping someone here knows.

I'm setting them up as such:

Server | Port | Query Port
1 | 7777 | 27015
2 | 7779 | 27016
3 | 7781 | 27017
4 | 7783 | 27018
5 | 7785 | 27019
6 | 7787 | 27051
7 | 7789 | 27052

This is because I know steam reserves ports 27020-27050 per the dedicated server setup guide. The problem is servers 6 and 7 are not visible because of their query port. If, for example, I stop server 1 and assign server 6 ports 7787 and 27015, it works perfectly fine. Enabling the ports in my firewall or even disabling the firewall altogether doesn't do any good. It almost appears that Ark is hard coded to not allow a query port that's not in 27015-27019. No, 27014 doesn't work either!

Any ideas? This is driving me mad. The server is ubuntu server 20.04, running headless. 

Ok, that didn't work, but I think I might know what's going on more than I did yesterday.

When you have a server running at 150 on your LAN, does Ark see it when you go to join? Or do you have to manually specify it in Steam's server list for Ark? Because I was expecting the former. If I manually add the server in Steam, Steam DOES see the server running at 150. So I can finally rule out firewall issues.

But here's the problem, when I try launching it from there, Ark gives the dreaded "can't query server for invite". I've gone down this rabbit hole before and I believe it's my router. There's something about NAT loopback that Ark wants and my router doesn't support it. I've also tried setting up port forwarding and even DMZd the Ark server box and it still doesn't work. So unless anybody can think of anything else, it appears to be a router problem for me.

That was a good idea but alas, it did not work. Same thing. If I had the server manually in Steam, it does see it running, but I can't join it. The game browser within Ark doesn't see it at all. It makes me wonder if there's a configuration somewhere deep within Ark that I have to enable higher ports or something? Do you run a Windows or Linux server? I might try throwing this on my Win10 box just to see if it acts differently.

I run a Windows (windows 10 pro) server - some of the maps have the "traditional" split of port numbers (77xx and 27xxx).  Some have all low numbers.

If you're running stuff other than Ark, it might be worth checking against this list to see if you have any possible clashes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

I had to change my router because a firmware update killed the NAT-Loopback on the original one I had.

Forgive me if you've already said, but have you setup port-forwarding between your router and your server?

I play LAN only, we don't have anybody from the outside world play with us so I don't think I necessarily need port forwarding setup? In fact I wouldn't want it because then it'd expose my servers to the world. That said, I did try it to see if that was the problem and it still didn't matter.

I have a win10 box and I also have another router that I believe has NAT loopback, I'm gonna do some tinkering this weekend and see if I can solve where the issue is, but it's gonna be a bit. Thanks for your help!

Do you have a separate copy of the ArkServer binary for every map, or do you have just one binary for all your maps? 
I'm wondering if one of the binaries is getting through the firewall and another isn't.

Another possibility (as you say) is that your router isn't doing the nat-loopback thing.  Some routers have it as an option that needs to be enabled and others just don't support it.

Also worth checking if your router has a built-in firewall.

Finally: if you setup port-forwarding on your router and disable its DMZ, you can white-list your ark maps so only your own steam ids can connect.

Archived