Level cap?

Sleepys040

19 minutes ago, Sleepys040 said:

Curious, playing on my own nitrado cluster server , we have 150max wild dinos as officals. was wondering i heard there is a cap at level 450 they gets "delated" from world after a server restart. Does that apply to unofficals too? if so can i change it somehow?

They made it so that you can't actually add any levels to a dino after its max level, on official at least, IDK about on unofficial but I would think its a core game change.

• Volunteer Moderator
9 hours ago, Larkfields said:

1785/255 = 7
Melee, speed, health, stamina, oxygen, weight, food = 7  

So the hard-coded cap happens when each individual stat hits 255.

At run-time, they are handled as integers, but when they are saved to disk, they are saved as unsigned chars. Therefore, if you spawn a very high level creature that exceed 255 points into a single stat then it will overflow. So yes, while the wild stats are capped at 255, the internal check does < not <= so if you have 255 points into a stat, you won't have a [+] button to level it up meaning the cap is 254 if you want to push XP into them.

2 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

At run-time, they are handled as integers, but when they are saved to disk, they are saved as unsigned chars. Therefore, if you spawn a very high level creature that exceed 255 points into a single stat then it will overflow. So yes, while the wild stats are capped at 255, the internal check does < not <= so if you have 255 points into a stat, you won't have a [+] button to level it up meaning the cap is 254 if you want to push XP into them.

I had wondered about that because I vaguely remember people complaining that their dino's stats had rolled over the 255 boundary when they relogged (after a world save).

Saving as an unsigned char saves 14 bytes per tame (7 for wild stats and 7 for tame stats).  I'm not sure how beneficial that is in these days of TB SSD's, but I wonder if it reveals that some of the devs have roots back in the days of 8 bit gaming 🙂

Archived