A world without any tec of any kind

seabass315

18 hours ago, wizard03 said:

I still wish I could get a server setup to run so that you can get up to the simple metal tools, and anything after that requires hitting supply drops, cave drops, and lucky fishing to get better blueprints. Don't get me wrong, I think all saddles, and armor should be unlockable as they are currently, but you want a industrial forge? Get the flippers, its in the underwater caves. Chem bench? fur clothing for the snow cave. How bout that shotty? Might want a gas mask and a frog for the swamp cave.

Don't get me wrong, maybe you can unlock some "improved" work bench's such as a smoker that can cook more meat than a camp fire, or maybe a wood stove that can hold multiple pots to make brews in......In fact the more I think about it, I think thats what we are missing the most. We go straight from the most basic and survivalist setup's, to full blown modern technology on a grand scale. There is no middle ground of any kind. Maybe if there was more middle ground in the engram list, then the big stuff wouldn't feel so over powered, or at least we could keep things more simple, yet engaging. 

That is indeed in line with my thoughts. The real special items only to be craftable/obtainable at special locations, like the terminals can be used to craft pods.
"Smokers" or Grill/BBQ for larger quantities of meat ar not high tech, neither is a larger stove or cooking pot.

Maybe if the engram and level system could become more ballanced, double the number of levels and "reward" only half of the engrams per level. The engram points are fine as they are now I think. I mean, by just gathering fiber and building thatch you can level pretty quick at start.

(By the way, flippers are high tech as in you need poly and a fabricator. But there could be a simple variant to scuba with airbag like waterskin for ox and flippers made of hide and thatch ;) )

23 hours ago, Mangost said:

I'm fine with having higher tech stuff, the main thing I don't like about PvP is the turrets. its way too easy to get heavies set up and then it just makes so many dinos obselete for raiding because they just get shredded in an instant. PvP is player vs player, not player vs turrets which is what it turned into.

You can use platform saddles to build kind of shield that protects dino and rider. When using hatchframes the protected surface is pretty big with low object count. It only does not fit in a pod, so you either have to walk a long way or fly near the target with all parts in bird or skiff, unpod dino and build shield on site.

But yes, the turrets are too powerfull in large numbers. Personaly I think an area limit (like ocean platforms or so) is better than a nerf.

If I had the time, resources and connections to make and populate my own Ark server, it would have no engrams beyond the iron age, tranq arrows would be as effective as rifle+darts as to not slow down taming as much, and offline raid protection.  No tek, no turrets, no cryopods.  I would also eliminate spawning or transfering of gigas, manas, wyverns and shadowmanes, and make it so that gigas are untamable.  

I might be the only one playing on that server, but at least in my mind, Ark is the most fun when there is danger - the early weeks of the game while building.  As soon as I get post-iron-age gear and a giga/wyvern, many of the moment-to-moment environmental risks are gone. 

Likewise, I think of Ark's best times as the early years of PvP where base defenses were active (pre-turret), defending against and with arrows, spears, pikes and tames.  Man, those were good times.  I am not sure if other servers played this way in the first couple of years, but my tribe would only assault a base if we saw there were people home.  We knew how much time and effort went into grinding and taming (especially in those days), and the heartbreak of logging in dead with all of your work wiped out.  We were competitive and friendly with many of the other tribes, and would at times arrange a time and place for a base assault/defense or a battle in a field somewhere.  One tribe created an arena for deathmatch battles with themed days, like Melee Mondays, Tame Tuesdays, Western Wednesdays (hide armor, pistols, whips), Anything-goes Thursdays and Jousting Fridays on a jousting track.  We would help out tribes that were just starting, giving extra gear and advice, cures for swamp-covid, etc.  Even on a PvP server, we had a community center where it was understood to be a safe zone, with unlocked crafting stations and storage with a "take what you need, leave what you can" policy.

Could you imagine an official server like this now that Ark and its player-base have "evolved"?

I don't know if I would go so far as to say that tek and turrets "ruined" Ark, in that there are some new features that I do like, and there are some challenges to be had like boss fights and alpha missions.  But the moment-to-moment experiences in Ark are a lot different now, and the state of PvP is a different world where exploits and opportunism are the norm.

5 hours ago, MMaas said:

(By the way, flippers are high tech as in you need poly and a fabricator. But there could be a simple variant to scuba with airbag like waterskin for ox and flippers made of hide and thatch ;) )

Fair point, however I did point out that armor pieces should still be available as part of the normal engram list even if primitive grade only, maybe this can still be achieved? At least a generic air tank can still be crafted in the smithy, maybe not the full blown suit, but at least an air tank.

Archived