A world without any tec of any kind

seabass315

I was thinking if its possible for the developers to make an ARK Survival evolved with just dinos and simple stuff....  no metal buildings or futuristic stuff of any kind.  Sort of like a caveman version of ark survival where its just man against beast, not guns etc. 

So all the weapons ( guns ) and metal structures and building would not be included,  the most advanced building you would be able to make is out of stone.  Maybe the metal tools would be allowed because you can refine metal but stuff like turrets and machine guns etc ... nahh.

/just a thought

23 hours ago, seabass315 said:

I was thinking if its possible for the developers to make an ARK Survival evolved with just dinos and simple stuff....  no metal buildings or futuristic stuff of any kind.  Sort of like a caveman version of ark survival where its just man against beast, not guns etc. So all the weapons ( guns ) and metal structures and building would not be included,  the most advanced building you would be able to make is out of stone.  Maybe the metal tools would be allowed because you can refine metal but stuff like turrets and machine guns etc ... nahh. /just a thought

I allways wanted to try it as if the only way to get any sort of engrams or BP's was to find them. Except for the extreamly simple stuff......Like a stone pick ax, stone hatchet, thatch house.....all stuff you can learn on your own.....Metal pick? Metal ax? sorry, but thats only in drops and cave crates. No smithy or saddles for you till you get that blue drop.

Maybe some saddles of the least used creatures such as the phiomia, arthropleura, and Chalicotherium. But no fliers.

22 hours ago, zero064 said:

I've thought about trying Primitive Plus a few times. Unfortunately I've also read that it's pretty glitchy -- so much so that even the wiki says so. Is this still the case, or is it more or less playable?

It is much less playable. And most of the "non tek stuff" is just a reskin of the other tek.

1 hour ago, wizard03 said:

It is much less playable. And most of the "non tek stuff" is just a reskin of the other tek.

5 minutes ago, Tylanater said:

Prim plus is broken and they've openly stated it won't be supported going forward. We need normal primitive servers back.

Damn, that's too bad. It sounds pretty cool in concept.

I played on Prim + for about 6 months.  Conceptually, it is broken, and as a result, is very frustrating.

For instance, you would find advanced BPs in the loot drops but the game would not let you make them.  Or, when yo level up the game will let you put points into engrams you cannot use.  

One of the unique cooking stations will let you make cake, but for some reason you are not allowed to make kibble.  Errr, um, why?   That is just mixing a few ingredients in a pot, right? How much more primitive can you ask for? I never understood that part.  And because there was no kibble... taming took forever.... and at reduced effectiveness. 

I DID really enjoy the new cooking and crafting stations though.  The lumber mill provided a fresh look for those that like to build in wood. And the BBQ grill gave the patio a nice look too.  I wish those things would find their way into the standard game.

It is a good idea but the concept is poorly done.

There used to be Primitive servers where there was no metal and tek tier. Not the Primitive+ kind of server. I played there for 2 years. There were some Legacy servers still going, but its gone now. This was the Ark I really liked and I would play on such server! Especially if its a small cluster without Extinction/Abb/Gen1/Gen2

I hired a server a few months ago and got the settings going, because you can disable each Engram/drop individually, but it's too expensive and people couldnt find it in the server list.

yeah i feel like a good primitive server would remove all tek, most of the machine items (maybe keep regular auto turrets but def no heavies, and with that it would probably have a decently strict turret limit) buff plant x at least a little, nerf stegos (and most of the other soakers) not have anything extinction or gen/gen2 (ab can stay i think) and just change dinos around more to make it more fun to raid, the main problem with raiding rn is that you can get so many turrets that the only possible way to raid is to drain them all and then blow stuff up (which is unfun and takes way too long).

I started a server again with Classic Primitive Settings: https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/ark/13144431

It's almost like the old official settings. 

It's Island only for now, but maybe clustered with a Ragnarok map later on

I spotted this one too: Classic Ark - 2016 Style - Primitive - No Tek - (v339.14) - BattleMetrics

Might be nice too

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 2:35 AM, MMaas said:

It is. When I started ARK this was what I was looking for, not Star Wars with Dino's ;)
Pitty it is abandoned.

Yeah, because those alien looking obelisks that were there since day 1 and the tek tier that was added mid-way through early access felt like something right out of Lord of the Rings.

I hate this sentiment so much lol. Ark never was that game. I don't know why a bunch of people thought a game with alien technology obelisks large as skyscrapers on the horizon wasn't going to contain something more than wooden arrows. It's so annoying to see this "pitty they had to go for the Hollywood money" sentiment because you can't deal with the fact you were wrong from day 1. Nothing about what they did is a pity. It lead to a highly successful game that continues to be popular years after release. What you mean to say is "I would have preferred", not "it's a pity". There were fabricated weapons and industrial machines in the game from very early on. You yourself have never even played this game you claim you were looking for because you played Ark, and Ark was never that. You're thinking about something like Conan maybe, I don't know. Ark always had modern tech. I mean, wasn't primitive plus released before the game was out? So even before the game is finished and released, they decide to make a "primitive total conversion" for it. Isn't that telling that they always intended for the game to be way more than just primitive?

You'll get your wish somewhat in the next game though, but we'll be on an alien planet where we crash landed with a space ship. So I guess that's too "Matrix" for you.

23 minutes ago, Fresiki said:

You'll get your wish somewhat in the next game though

There's also the sponsored mod map alemia coming soon, its out now but incomplete for anyone wanting to check it out. Its primitive you dont even have the normal structure engrams like foundations, walls, etc. Not sure if the author will add the basic ones later but it currently has wooden sword and a few other things.

6 hours ago, Fresiki said:

Yeah, because those alien looking obelisks that were there since day 1 and the tek tier that was added mid-way through early access felt like something right out of Lord of the Rings.

I hate this sentiment so much lol. Ark never was that game. I don't know why a bunch of people thought a game with alien technology obelisks large as skyscrapers on the horizon wasn't going to contain something more than wooden arrows. It's so annoying to see this "pitty they had to go for the Hollywood money" sentiment because you can't deal with the fact you were wrong from day 1. Nothing about what they did is a pity. It lead to a highly successful game that continues to be popular years after release. What you mean to say is "I would have preferred", not "it's a pity". There were fabricated weapons and industrial machines in the game from very early on. You yourself have never even played this game you claim you were looking for because you played Ark, and Ark was never that. You're thinking about something like Conan maybe, I don't know. Ark always had modern tech. I mean, wasn't primitive plus released before the game was out? So even before the game is finished and released, they decide to make a "primitive total conversion" for it. Isn't that telling that they always intended for the game to be way more than just primitive?

You'll get your wish somewhat in the next game though, but we'll be on an alien planet where we crash landed with a space ship. So I guess that's too "Matrix" for you.

I did expect some tech but not that much. No hate towards that , just a preference for a bit more primitive. ARK was indeed not what I expected it to be but that does not stop me from enjoying most parts of the game. Keep in mind that ARK was advertised as story driven construction solo game as well for consoles, that was what I went for in the first place. The real Tech overdosis started with Genesis and I did not buy that. To me Genesis feels like a pay to win for PvP, all catering for mass breeding with the R-seeds and Maewings.
Maybe you are right and is Conan more my cup of tea but I don't have time to figure that out due to ARK ;)

Just tone down a bit on the rest please, I never said anything about Hollywood money. That is your own projection. The only thing I have difficulties to deal with in ARK is how poor the quality control is.

Edit: wizard03 response is a bit how I feel about it.

I really would like for Prim+ to be maintained: if it had continued support, my intuitions tell me that it would have a significant player base.  You are not the only one that would like a more primitive experience in Ark.  It is true that you can always create your own server and customize it to be the experience you want, but a supported mod that is well maintained would really help seal the deal to get servers populated.

2 hours ago, Mangost said:

I'm fine with having higher tech stuff, the main thing I don't like about PvP is the turrets. its way too easy to get heavies set up and then it just makes so many dinos obselete for raiding because they just get shredded in an instant. PvP is player vs player, not player vs turrets which is what it turned into.

but without turrets isnt in dino vs offline player?

8 hours ago, MMaas said:

Edit: wizard03 response is a bit how I feel about it.

I still wish I could get a server setup to run so that you can get up to the simple metal tools, and anything after that requires hitting supply drops, cave drops, and lucky fishing to get better blueprints. Don't get me wrong, I think all saddles, and armor should be unlockable as they are currently, but you want a industrial forge? Get the flippers, its in the underwater caves. Chem bench? fur clothing for the snow cave. How bout that shotty? Might want a gas mask and a frog for the swamp cave.

Don't get me wrong, maybe you can unlock some "improved" work bench's such as a smoker that can cook more meat than a camp fire, or maybe a wood stove that can hold multiple pots to make brews in......In fact the more I think about it, I think thats what we are missing the most. We go straight from the most basic and survivalist setup's, to full blown modern technology on a grand scale. There is no middle ground of any kind. Maybe if there was more middle ground in the engram list, then the big stuff wouldn't feel so over powered, or at least we could keep things more simple, yet engaging. 

1 hour ago, Mai said:

but without turrets isnt in dino vs offline player?

dino's can be delt with. Either by building in stone or metal, or by installing turret type dino's or with plant species this or that......Idealistically, if there was differnt kinds of plants you could farm to help protect the property, you could go many different ways besides just shooting at things......Maybe a plant sprays a cloud of pollen that causes creatures to leave, or turn passive while affected by the pollen?

Its a bit of a stretch but still retains the primitive feel.

i agree that plant species x is fine as a turret and it would be great if they added more plant turrets that required more skill to be effective than just spamming them (and that didn't take as much of a grind to keep loaded) like the pollen spray that repells, maybe also one that can ground fliers like velo and one that causes explosions maybe? (maybe take away slowdown from plantx and put it on a different one) and also making it possible for dinos to break more structures (just very slowly maybe?) so that you aren't forced to attempt to flak rush it.

Archived