I died while offline and lost a ton of stuff. Why?

Spookin

This has happened twice now and its really starting to piss me off. I play on PvE servers only, and both times I was in safe locations where no wild dinos should've been able to get to me. The first time I lost over 400 tranqs, an asc rifle, all my asc flak, all my kibble, and a cryod yuty and rex. The server owner who's a friend of mine was nice and allowed me to spawn replacements in. It just happened to me on a different server. This time I'm still in early game and it sucks ass even more, cause I lost my only berry gatherer (a trike in a cryo), my only darts, and my only weapons. I just started here and don't feel comfortable going to anyone for help. Is there anyway I can prevent this or get my stuff back? theres no item bag.

When you say safe area do you mean inside a locked base that has no open windows/doors? If not then your problem would be players dragging you out to water and letting you drown. There has been a few occasions where you fall through the map and die while sleeping.. ive only had that happen on center and valg though. 

THere is an issue I see on GenTwo alot.   I'm usually connecting it's occurrence to the server crashing between my last time on and the current logging back on.  The game will sometimes put your body under the mesh, and then mesh detection destroys you.  

This is usually stopped by logging out on a bed.   Being on a bed should stop this from happening 99% of the time, but there is always exceptions.

34 minutes ago, UWSarkALPHA said:

When you say safe area do you mean inside a locked base that has no open windows/doors? If not then your problem would be players dragging you out to water and letting you drown. There has been a few occasions where you fall through the map and die while sleeping.. ive only had that happen on center and valg though. 

I'm in a locked base. The recent incident was on ragnarok, I'm in that big scotland cave and it has a behemoth gate at the entrance. Its pin coded but only one person knows the code and that persons a friend of mine.

9 hours ago, Spookin said:

I'm in a locked base. The recent incident was on ragnarok, I'm in that big scotland cave and it has a behemoth gate at the entrance. Its pin coded but only one person knows the code and that persons a friend of mine.

We feel your pain, this is an old, old problem in ARK (it's been happening since the very beginning).

The only way to be sure that this won't happen is to remove all of your stuff from your character when you log off.

Never had that happen to me. But, as a rule I never ever log off unless I go into sleep mode on a bed inside a locked base structure.

Occasionally, I will do so in a bed on a dino platform, like a Para, Quetz, or Stryder sleeping pod. Risky, but so far no issues.

FWIW... I only play on Official PVE... with all the hassle of that, I have been fortunate in that I never had this issue ... or lost a character.

So... I can't speak for your past events... but I can offer up the "sleep mode in bed/only inside a closed structure" advice and hope that keeps that issue from happening again.

• 4 months later...

This happened to me today. Logged off last night in my base with all my doors and window's closed as I always don to avoid this exact scenario. Logged in this morning and was apparently killed by a tek raptor. All my dinos are exactly how I placed them, there is no sign of this tek raptor with no corpse to collect my items.......all gone :(. My doors and window's are still closed which means this must have been a very smart raptor and perhaps picked my locks to get in, killed me and was nice enough to lock up when it left.........for security purposes of course.

Its very frustrating though to be honest. What's the purpose of securing your base if something like this is still possible. 

On 3/6/2022 at 12:12 PM, darkrein1 said:

This happened to me today. Logged off last night in my base with all my doors and window's closed as I always don to avoid this exact scenario. Logged in this morning and was apparently killed by a tek raptor. All my dinos are exactly how I placed them, there is no sign of this tek raptor with no corpse to collect my items.......all gone :(. My doors and window's are still closed which means this must have been a very smart raptor and perhaps picked my locks to get in, killed me and was nice enough to lock up when it left.........for security purposes of course.

Its very frustrating though to be honest. What's the purpose of securing your base if something like this is still possible. 

Exactly lol! we spend so much time in securing the base and some stupid raptor makes it all worthless

14 hours ago, darkrein1 said:

And this happened yet again to me today. No reason as to why just "You died"....no point of entry ......no body.....everything exactly in its place.....:(

Seriously........... 

what server was this on?  Depending on the map, different things can happen - especially after patches.   Maps like crystal isles and the island like to drop your character from up high.  Genesis 2 likes to spawn your character under the ground if you log out on a ceiling tile.  Aberration likes to spawn you falling below the mesh after updates.  There seems to have been a tiny patch in the last day or so, this can lead to these situations occuring.

15 hours ago, darkrein1 said:

And this happened yet again to me today. No reason as to why just "You died"....no point of entry ......no body.....everything exactly in its place.....:(

Seriously...........

As has been explained previously, this is an issue that goes back to the very beginning of ARK and has never been fixed, and it might actually be something that simply isn't fixable (at least not by WildCard). It's never happened to me on my private server, not on any map, but it happened to me and to tribe mates quite a few times when we played on Official servers. This is one of ARK's "original sins" and it will probably never go away.

If it's happening to you on whatever server you're playing on then the only smart answer is to log off naked, anything else is just wishful thinking.

Archived