(Linux) What all needs to be transferred to move a complete "world"?

MorkZaDork

So to start off, I'm working with Linux. Specifically Ubuntu Server (headless) 20.04. Works great. I tried today to move one of my worlds from one server to another, just as a matter of cleaning up clutter. My wife and I run a Ragnarok server and an Island server. We typically only play one or the other at a time, so my thinking was I didn't need two computers. I only needed one and I'll just enable/disable the services as appropriate (no need to run them both at the same time).

So I installed the ark server in a clean folder, let's say /home/user/ark2 (whereas ark1 would be the other server). Got it all working, copied my files from the SavedArks folder and thought I'd boot right into my same world just running on a different PC. That didn't happen. When I connected to it, it didn't recognize me. I had to start over as a completely new character.

So I've reverted it all back, right now running on two different computers and it all works. But it's got me really thinking about: what all do I need to be backing up to ensure I can recreate our world if the server crashes on me? Clearly the files in the SavedArks folder didn't work. What all is needed to ensure our structures, our dinos, our tribes, our permissions, etc all of that, could come back up on new server hardware if need be? What is it taking into account to determine "oh you steam user 123456XXX belong to this world, here's your stuff"? Is it the WHOLE install directory, binaries and all? Is it the way I have my services setup that boot the servers? 

Thoughts? Thanks!

Archived