Is it better?

Addock

I'm a solo player on official attempting to beat the game for the first time but i'm nervous about losing my character and being locked out of all my progress. I'm based on the Island currently because I wanted to beat the bosses in order from Island through Extinction. However all the story islands have low levels so i've been planning to transfer off-server and do a day's worth of taming each time we get boosted rates for evo. So I was wondering...

Is it better to make a separate character based in one of the non-story ARKs (rag, center, val, isles) and transfer the items to them through the obelisks, or would it be safe enough just to take my main character and transfer with the items in my inventory? Thanks for your time

I always create a new character when I start on a new map, because of the small chance of losing all I've achieved if only 1 transfer goes wrong, and I'm not willing to take the risk. 

Doesn't even take long to level a new character when an evo event is active. I only started on Valguero 2 days ago, transfered a high lvl therizino over and kept kiling wild dinos. New character was level 70 after a couple hours or so.

I was a solo player on PvP/PvE official as well and had a level 130+ character disappear during transfer (I had 3 bases on 3 different PvE servers).  I put in a ticket the same day and could not get any help before all 3 bases, all items and all tames acquired and bred over 4 years auto-decayed.  I would make a new character on each map if I could do it again.  Now I just play single-player.

This game is too grindy, the performance too unreliable, and support too unwilling to restore things lost through no fault of one’s own for me to risk it, so I make a new character (though right now I just go to other maps to tame).  I understand that more than likely there won’t be an issue, but man the magnitude of the consequences (lol wow that makes it sound more dramatic and dire than what I’m going for) makes it not worth the risk for me. 

22 hours ago, Addock said:

I'm a solo player on official attempting to beat the game for the first time but i'm nervous about losing my character and being locked out of all my progress. I'm based on the Island currently because I wanted to beat the bosses in order from Island through Extinction. However all the story islands have low levels so i've been planning to transfer off-server and do a day's worth of taming each time we get boosted rates for evo. So I was wondering...

Is it better to make a separate character based in one of the non-story ARKs (rag, center, val, isles) and transfer the items to them through the obelisks, or would it be safe enough just to take my main character and transfer with the items in my inventory? Thanks for your time

transfer each item off of your character. Anything on your character is instantly dropped when you transfer.....You show up at the next map nekid when you transfer.

With that said, I allways felt like it was best to start a new character for each map. Just makes the game feel more challenging. However you might do a main character and transfer that main character to specifically learn each maps special engrams.....The chainsaw for scorched earth, glider from aberation, ect. ect.
This way when you go to a new map, that character can make equipment and saddles that you might want to use in later game maps.

I like having a spare character for other maps - it makes maintaining a small outpost much easier when you can just log into a map, check the gas level on the generator powering the cryofridge, and then log off, rather than having to shuffle your character around to refresh decay timers.

Of course, I am lucky in that I have a tribemate I can trust, so after some convoluted shuffling, our main characters are also members of the tribe that has our minor outposts on, so if I do need to take my main character somewhere, I can just take the secondary over to the obelisk (well, for Aberration I moved a stryder over), park them on another server out of the way, and then have a base all ready for my main. We also make sure to always leave at least one character on each server as well.

My thoughts would be to find one server that you really connect with and has a good community on and make that your home server. The character that maintains that server stays there and you use it as launching point to invade other maps. You could create a new character that actually travels from map to map, only making a small base or outpost until you beat the boss and can move on to the next. If you do it that way then even if the roaming character gets Ark'd and you lose everything you would have your home server to fall back on and replace what you need (Rexes, gear, etc.) and also if there are any tames or resources you want to keep when you're about to move to another map you can send it back to the home map for storage.

You're welcome to use just one character but just realize you're putting all your eggs in one basket if you do, especially since you're playing solo, so if you get Ark'd it will be devastating and not just a setback.

Whichever way you choose I wish you luck with it man, sounds like you have a bunch of fun planned out.

7 hours ago, wizard03 said:

transfer each item off of your character. Anything on your character is instantly dropped when you transfer.....You show up at the next map nekid when you transfer.

Eh? Is this new? I just black bag transferred some paste over to our aberration server not that long ago and my buddy transfers metal out from there all the time using his character.

On 10/4/2021 at 7:34 AM, Addock said:

Make extra characters, only transfer characters between servers when you absolutely have to.

You might get lucky (like Piffguru above has been lucky) but transferring between servers is always a gamble. It's a low risk gamble that almost always works, but it only takes one failed attempt at transferring and suddenly a whole lot of your time has been wasted for no good reason.

You always want at least two good characters that can send stuff back & forth between servers.

I keep separate characters for stuff from other maps. Only transfer my main when I absolutely have no choice (so, basically, only for Ext engrams. Had to do it twice, hope there won't be another mass-mindwipe that'll force me to do it AGAIN).

Having different characters seems like a better choice to me - sometimes logging off one map and onto the other is faster than transferring (or at least feels faster), plus there none of that "oooh, it's taking so long, what if something went wrong?" moment.

Also, different characters allow you to be best prepared stat-wise for whatever you plan to do on each map, for example my main character has most points in crafting skill because with my tames I can afford for him to be weak, CI character has, like, 400 weight and 150 food and water, for those long flights on the back of a wild wyvern with inventory full of crystals, Ext has some weight, a bit crafting skill, and more melee and health than others.

4 hours ago, LordHotPockets said:

Eh? Is this new? I just black bag transferred some paste over to our aberration server not that long ago and my buddy transfers metal out from there all the time using his character.

He must be thinking of single player, which has that limitation.  It is not an issue on normal server clusters.  I just transfered my main character from Rag to Abberation with an inventory full of shotgun shells and cactus broth, in order to beat gamma rockwell last week. Then after I moved him back with fancy upgraded implant, I took my regular Aberration character and flew around the Gen2 server I parked him on, grabbing drops until I was nicely loaded up, and brought that one back to Ab with all the goodies. 

12 hours ago, LordHotPockets said:

might be different online then.....On single player I lost my phoenix chibi when I transferred from the island to scorched earth....Well, that and my ghille, and hot bar items. I got everything out of my inventory, but lost everything I was wearing/had equipped. x.x

I didn't used to use multiple characters, but finally after 10k hours I lost my char. Now We make it a habit to have a char on every map. I also have one with unlocks that I use for transfers to and from other people's bases when we trade dinos etc. I'm personally attached to my characters it's not just about them not being replaced or not getting things back. Which all of that is a pita also. Our entire tribe has characters on each map we play so that we avoid losing them anymore than necessary. This seems to work well, none of us have lost another character lately and it's been over a year.

And trust me just because you haven't in xyz amount of time.. it only takes once for you to be part of the "It happened club"

Archived