I wont buy ark 2

Brexit2021

13 hours ago, Noa said:

I don't like mathematical standpoint. It hurt a lot and it say that WC is specialized in selling game to criminals.

Just look at patch notes, 90% of them contain "fixed an exploit"

So big part of those 16 millions players are cheaters and exploiters by mathematical stand point.

7 hours ago, Frael said:

15,999,900 people probably didn't even know there was an exploit to be fixed.

Some fair points are being made, but the truth remains that being publicly vocal about things you percieve to be a problem, only serves to irritate those around you if they do not agree with it. In case that wasn't clear and it makes you wonder "are people really that selfish?" just look into yourself and there's your answer, lol. People like people that like the same things as them, but dislike people that make a fuzz about somethign they don't understand. Sure, it's unfair, it's all the negative things you could say about it. But more than anything, it is reality. I don't know what making threads like these are supposed to achieve. It's like a jealous boyfriend that tries to make his girl feel like poop saying stuff like "you don't care about me at all" and being a big, whiney baby. NO ONE, read NO ONE EVER since the dawn of the neanderthals, like people that behave that way. It also never seems to actually lead to the change those people would really like to see. Take your dictionary and look up the word "futility". This is the definition of it.

If at a young age, you learn or somehow get the idea into your head that voicing your concerns by screaming them over the voices of everyone else is an appropriate course of action, then as that behavior evolves and escalates over time (as behaviors always do)  it will only grow to alienate you from those that might otherwise have been assets to your life, and tools for you happiness. If there is ever a notion that it will somehow spark an uprising and a stream of support, you need to really take a step back and consider whether there's a chance you could be wrong. Best case scenario, they become indifferent to you. Worst case scenario, they actively dislike you for it. Then something like 2% of every person that hears your complaint will be on your side. Everyone else will be against you in their silent mind. Praying that a meteor or a lightning just suddenly hits you. For your own leisure, having people on your side (or at least not against you) is considerably preferable to having them talk about, or merely just think what a moron you are behind your back. I'm not just talking about a complaint about Ark posted on the forums. In and of itself, it's a small thing. I am rather trying to address the sense of entitlement and the arrogance it requires for a person to adopt the stance that their complaints are best served publicly. Even if you are objectively "right" about how you feel, to the degree that that is even tangible, nobody enjoys the noise you're making. Not that it's your job to give people enjoyment, but still. Human preference guides ethics and morals, such that, if most people find this action to be detestable, you could make a case that it is in fact morally wrong. And most people do find it detestable, except the people that would follow the same course of action. And then we're brought back to the statistical argument that the majority of people do not act this way, and do not enjoy it when others do, and get annoyed by it. Enough reason to change course if you ask me. N e wayz....

It serves anyone/everyone to simply let go of such arrogance and sense of entitlement as soon as maturity can be reached, and balance can be mustered. When you're 8-12, it might be kinda cute, but past the age of 17 it's starting to look worse and worse as each year goes by. If you're 25 and still acting that way, you are actively choosing to be a loser. Sorry, not sorry. IDGA raptor about your rights as a consumer or the percieved fairness of your subjective reality. Considering you are one person, and the people in your surroundings are many, the objectively most pressing aspect of reality is how your actions affect others. If what it takes for you as a consumer to have your rights fulfilled, is to bother everyone else that come in touch with you as you do so, maybe you should be more worried about that than your rights as a consumer. Just maybe, MAYBE. If you have no respect for people around you, and no decency as a person, then you must prepare for a lonely life filled with frustration and failure.

Edit: and for the sake of just having said it, this post shouldn't be read as me speaking directly to you two dudes or dudettes that I quoted. It is adressed to whom it may concern. If the glove fits, etc.

Edit 2: Though, and as far as cheating goes, @Noa, yes, humans cheat.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Percentage-of-Students-Cheating-in-Exams-by-Gender-Age-and-GPA_tbl1_265802230

According to this study, which isn't the be-all end-all study of cheating behavior in the least - but according to this study, about 37-40% of all humans cheat on exams. And yes, that premise is arguable, but just go with it for now for the sake of the point I'm making (which isn't that this study is a perfect representation of the human species in every possible way). These are future doctors, lawyers, police officers, store clerks, apothecaries and cleaning staff. Burger flippers, you name it. So yes, people cheat. It is also, moreso than something to get hung up on the morality of, the real, actual reality that is taking place out there, even when you're sleeping. It's what humans are, were, always have been, and always will be. Even animals cheat. It's common in a lot of (all?) social mammals. So yeah, when you're making a computer game for a crowd of people of which 40% are willing to cheat on the most important tests in their life, you must accomodate that crowd as it js, not as you think it should have been. Also an important life lesson. Your argument falls apart at the end, btw, because fixing exploits that "criminals" are taking advantage of is the opposite of catering to criminals.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/25/2021 at 4:12 AM, Brexit2021 said:

If it was different developers making this i would have bought it asap, but wont bother seeing how ark 1 was a buggy mess and they treated there fan base like rubbish and never listened.

Honestly, voice your concern and stance.  If it is ignored, so be it.  It probably will be, because you didn't mention anything specifically about PvP.  That's the only mention that gets traction around these parts (anyone get it?)!  Jokes aside, @GP the point of this thread is this customer sharing his position regarding a company that has made a game with many problems (in some cases, huge base-destroying and dino-killing problems) that remain unfixed and largely unpolished, and sharing his plans now that the same company is planning to release a game of the same genre with a newer engine (with new challenges in coding and debugging for the same company).

@Brexit2021 people aren't gonna agree with you.  Just speak your peace and let people agree amongst themselves about how mathematically wrong you are.  I mean, a lot of people like the game, so YOU probably do too, right?  It's math dude!

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, Noa said:

WC should use "prevented an opportunity" instead of "fixed an exploit"

But they didn't prevent an opportunity. They fixed an exploit. I'm perfectly fine with people saying exactly what they did. No need to sugar coat it for people that need things spoon fed to them because "feelings".

9 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

But they didn't prevent an opportunity. They fixed an exploit. I'm perfectly fine with people saying exactly what they did. No need to sugar coat it for people that need things spoon fed to them because "feelings".

Im perfectly aware that they fixed an "bad doing"  and was surprised on reactions when i called bad  doing  a crime.

• Volunteer Moderator
7 minutes ago, Noa said:

was surprised on reactions when i called bad  doing  a crime.

Why? Most bad things people do on a regular basis are not crimes.

Lying, cheating (in most places), being rude to people, being a horrible friend. Not good for humanity but certainly not criminal behavior.

2 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Why? Most bad things people do on a regular basis are not crimes.

Lying, cheating (in most places), being rude to people, being a horrible friend. Not good for humanity but certainly not criminal behavior.

Depend on how you look at it.

During second world war was completely normal for Japanese solders to exploit lokal resources like local females for their sexual needs using them as sex slaves.

In that time it was just an exploit for them but today we call it a crime.

4 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Well if you want to start time traveling, yes everything was different if you go back far enough... doesn't mean anything to modern life.

Maybe to visit few FBI pages. They have entire teams in fight against cybercrime and a lot of info what they consider to be a crime. 

New Ark is a new hope and don't deserve to be sentenced by past feelings.

Edit: Letting go is hard. I'll drop the wall but I just have to say to @Noa, I don't know what the animosity is all about. I wasn't trying to lecture you or whatever. I think something got lost in translation, I was mostly in agreement with you, but wanted to get a little philosophical about one of the things you mentioned. That was an invitation to a discussion. I don't know why you then went on to respond the way you did, I wasn't trying to be a jerk. But maybe I'm being blind, I dunno. Screw it, though.

I'm definitely buying Ark 2. Even if I'll hate it, I can't not try the sequel to a game I spent thousands of hours on. I feel about 75% sure they won't capture the magic that got me hooked in the first place. If I'm right, I'll just play another game and not make a thread about it. If I'm wrong, I'll just play the game. In any context, I won't yell it out of my window, nor will I make a thread about it in the General section, nor will I put it in the ads section of our local newspaper or anything like such, in an attempt to get support from the public because my feelings are hurt because I didn't get exactly what I wanted/expected. I'll feel annoyed about it, I just won't force other people into it. I find that action detestable. Okay, that was also a part of my original point.

My biggest concern about Ark 2 is I understand it'll be a lot more primitive-like. But if there's no Tek, then it's like... I don't know, they have to strike some sort of balance. To me, the tek meshing with the natural is a big part of the aesthetic I like about Ark in the first place. Back in early access when you could see and visit the obelisks, but didn't really know what they were for and what everything was gonna be. The original tek cave. I lurwe that poop. My dream fantasy map for the longest time was the Extinction map as it were before everything became barren there. So lush city, no ruins, and lush forests surrounding it, with an ocean to the south. We kinda got that plus more than I asked for with Gen 2, imo. I think Gen2 is the best map in a lot of ways. So going away from Tek, I don't know if I'm crazy about that. But everyone else seems to be, so!

23 hours ago, Fresiki said:

I'm definitely buying Ark 2. Even if I'll hate it, I can't not try the sequel to a game I spent thousands of hours on. I feel about 75% sure they won't capture the magic that got me hooked in the first place. If I'm right, I'll just play another game and not make a thread about it.

I am partially in the not-buy boat.  I will not be a day one adopter, that's for damn sure, but I can't write it off completely.  I'll watch it's release and development/early access period (we all know there will be one), and if they show improvements over a long-ish period of time, I'll pick it up.  But honestly, you should make a thread!  The mods might delete or compile all of them into one thread, but voicing concern is important.  You have expectations, naturally, of what ARK 2 will bring.  If they aren't met, tell the internet, so others know what to POSSIBLY expect if they decide to buy the game.

For me personally, 9k hours is longer than I ever expected to put into a video game so obviously ARK is a special kind of lightning-in-a-bottle.  But it wasn't all wonderful times with dinos.  The good times have been some of the best I've experienced in gaming but the bad and/or buggy times, yeah.  I've never been more angry or frustrated at a game than ARK has made me.  Mostly due to how bugs and glitches can negatively affect you in this game.  Those experiences are why I'll watch from a distance and give the team a chance to stand up a good game before I fully condemn or endorse it.

But like I said, that's just me personally!

My biggest concern about Ark 2 is I understand it'll be a lot more primitive-like. {snip}  So going away from Tek, I don't know if I'm crazy about that. But everyone else seems to be, so!

It might be like Battlefield 1...  Everyone was excited.  Then everyone quit and played Battlefield 4 again, or at least most of the people I know did.

22 hours ago, TheDonn said:

I am partially in the not-buy boat.  I will not be a day one adopter, that's for damn sure, but I can't write it off completely.  I'll watch it's release and development/early access period (we all know there will be one), and if they show improvements over a long-ish period of time, I'll pick it up.  But honestly, you should make a thread!  The mods might delete or compile all of them into one thread, but voicing concern is important.  You have expectations, naturally, of what ARK 2 will bring.  If they aren't met, tell the internet, so others know what to POSSIBLY expect if they decide to buy the game.

For me personally, 9k hours is longer than I ever expected to put into a video game so obviously ARK is a special kind of lightning-in-a-bottle.  But it wasn't all wonderful times with dinos.  The good times have been some of the best I've experienced in gaming but the bad and/or buggy times, yeah.  I've never been more angry or frustrated at a game than ARK has made me.  Mostly due to how bugs and glitches can negatively affect you in this game.  Those experiences are why I'll watch from a distance and give the team a chance to stand up a good game before I fully condemn or endorse it.

But like I said, that's just me personally!

It might be like Battlefield 1...  Everyone was excited.  Then everyone quit and played Battlefield 4 again, or at least most of the people I know did.

Fair points.

Your second paragraph gets at something interesting, but I've heard a saying that goes something like "those that love us the most, hurt us the most". There's something there. It takes love to be sufficiently hurt by something/someone, otherwise you wouldn't care. I think it's one of those things that go hand in hand. I have 5k hours and have yet to lose a character or anything significant. I was close a few times. I've lost the odd Tek Skiff or whatnot, but never lost like hundreds of hours of progression. Maybe I've been lucky.

• 1 month later...

This topic went all over the place but I noticed a few interesteing things. People using statistics to "proove" it can't be that bad, but if you take a realy good look the numbers are not all that bright:
If 16000000 people bought the game, why was less than 10% playing at the launch of Gen2? Why were there huge spikes in numbers that rapidly sunk under the previous levels that indicate less than 5% is still playing the game?

This is not ment as an attack on any side of the argument but I do wonder why people use a very limited set of numbers to come to conclusions. In all fairness, the numbers as used raise more questions about quality and loyalty than that they give answers.

On 12/1/2021 at 7:08 AM, MMaas said:

This topic went all over the place but I noticed a few interesteing things. People using statistics to "proove" it can't be that bad, but if you take a realy good look the numbers are not all that bright:
If 16000000 people bought the game, why was less than 10% playing at the launch of Gen2? Why were there huge spikes in numbers that rapidly sunk under the previous levels that indicate less than 5% is still playing the game?

This is not ment as an attack on any side of the argument but I do wonder why people use a very limited set of numbers to come to conclusions. In all fairness, the numbers as used raise more questions about quality and loyalty than that they give answers.

Numbers are great for showing profitability and possibly even projections, but for the every day average gamer, they mean nothing good.  To me, it seems that according to history time and time again (Blizzard, DICE, BioWare, etc.) the more sales and profits a game publisher makes off of IP, the more the studio's quality degrades.  I of course don't have a study to back this, just 26 years of observations of the video game development industry while being a gamer myself (since 1995, demo for Diablo 1 on a 66mHZ NEC tower).  It seems that for high-dollar studios, games eventually become about the meta-gaming approach of "how do we design the game to take as long as possible?" instead of "how do we give our customers a good experience?"  In turn, gamers pick up on this and some are OK with it, while some aren't.  I suppose that's my opinion, so I'll just state that clearly.

My point in there somewhere is that indeed, numbers and statistics don't mean a game is good.  I've also seen people countless times attribute a healthy or booming title (in sales terms) to "this means their games will be better because of more development money."  It just unfortunately is not the case, and while I'm not saying WildCard has fallen into any kind of trap like any other studios have, I'm just hoping ARK II is a solid and WORTHY successor to what ARK I has been!

3 hours ago, TheDonn said:

It just unfortunately is not the case, and while I'm not saying WildCard has fallen into any kind of trap like any other studios have, I'm just hoping ARK II is a solid and WORTHY successor to what ARK I has been!

I hope they learned from certain issues and it will be better ;)

Your response was a good read by the way. Just a pitty you missed the golden age of ZX Spectrum vs. C64 :P

4 hours ago, MMaas said:

I hope they learned from certain issues and it will be better ;)

Your response was a good read by the way. Just a pitty you missed the golden age of ZX Spectrum vs. C64 :P

Yeeeeep I missed out on the Commodore, I did.  I mean, I was on Atari and NES from the mid 80s but until PC games I was basically just playing and didn't watch any game news or seek out information about that world.  It's sure as hell come a long way!

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, TheDonn said:

Yeeeeep I missed out on the Commodore, I did.  I mean, I was on Atari and NES from the mid 80s but until PC games I was basically just playing and didn't watch any game news or seek out information about that world.  It's sure as hell come a long way!

The C64 was my first computer and I bought it myself with paper route money lol

Tape drive, didn't even have the 5 1/4 floppies yet. Good times.

Archived