fanfiction Acanthostega - Amphibian Shoulder Pet Concept

AnkyWithNoBrim

Here is my concept for if Acanthostega was added to the game. Unfortunately I'm not the best when it comes to art, so most of this just consists of text. If you do decide to read it all, would you like to see this creature in the game? What other creatures would you like me to make concepts for?

HA9wt3ahmVOEdNplcEVNQncdoY6-EqhBDsswZ0N_IiZiqfONDCJjmm1_z6c4TK2XpWssSxHjXwG6nEOegYdDKLbesAI0UxLh5nf6zs7cNviMQIeNcLZauK4q30eSm1nnxYcHtKpg=s0

Wild:

Acanthostega plays a unique role in the ARK’s swamp ecosystems. Acanthostega primarily eat leeches, so they help remove the parasites from larger animals. Because of this, Acanthostega aren’t hunted, as keeping one around could save a predator’s life. When a predator does decide to attack one, Acanthostega have slippery skin that allows them to break free from a grab and gives Acanthostega enough time to retreat to the water.

Domesticated:

Very popular among amphibian lovers, Acanthostega will travel with its owner on their shoulder and aid them in their adventures, from the densest swamps to the driest deserts. Acanthostega can always aid in removing those pesky parasites, eating them and obtaining their precious resources. Acanthostega seem to always be coated in moisture, making a survivor holding one very difficult to grab, as well as keeping the person or their dinos relatively hydrated.

Ingame Information:

Tamable: Yes

Ridable: No

Saddle: None

Breeding: Yes

Egg: Yes, can make Simple Kibble 

Poop: Small

Size: Small

Diet: Carnivore 

Group: Amphibians

Temperament: Passive 

Torpor Immune: No

Stats (lvl 1 tamed):

Health: 125

Stam: 150

Oxygen: Infinite 

Weight: 65

Melee: 10

Speed: 100 (Faster in water)

Attacks:

Bite (20X damage to Leech and Lamprey) 

Abilities:

- Leech Killer: Will automatically remove leeches/lamprey from your player or dino if on your shoulder. Also harvests them. 

- Slippery: Acanthostega can't be picked up by any creature but a Hover Skiff. This buff will carry over to the player carrying Acanthostega. 

- Stay Hydrated: Spino, Shadowmane, and Tropical Wyverns will constantly have hydration buff when their rider is carrying Acanthostega. The player's water will also drain at only half the speed. 

Found: Swamps

Maps: All Maps

Taming Method: Have a wild Acanthostega remove leech/lamprey from your player or dino. 

Favorite Foods:

Leech/Lamprey 

Drops (when killed):

Meat

Hide

Fits Through:

Any

Grabbed by: Player, Skiff

Trapped by: None 

Damages up to: Thatch

Variants:

Aberrant Acanthostega

A shoulder mount amphibian, now that's something new!

Just as a positive suggestion, maybe the Acanthostega could have a secondary role similar to the otter when it comes to hunting in aquatic environments as Acanthostega was actually primarily piscivorous and fed on small armoured fish. Maybe as another new ability for this unique creature, the Acanthostega could have it's own behaviour setting (that can be adjusted by the player) when it comes to gathering food. See Acanthostega actually was the first terrestrial creature to learn to grab prey with its teeth (this method is known as terrestrial style feeding), which could allow the "Acantho" to grab prey and return it back to it's own for harvesting and gathering resources such as leech blood and maybe have a 40% (ability) chance of obtaining prime fish meat. This amphibian could also have a buff similar to that of the Lystrosaurus's (pet ability) which boosts nearby tames with confidence and increased experience gathering, but instead the "Acantho" could maybe make it's owner resistant to leeches and have a 10-20 (depends on level) second bleed resistance against creatures such as Megapiranha, Carnotaurus, Kentrosaurus, Megalodon and Allosaurus. The Acanthostega should also have a lifecycle (for breeding) similar to other amphibians such as the Diplocaulus and Beelzebufo.

This is an idea I would have never thought of, but has lots of supporting information and potential. Keep up the good work.

Also because you have experience with amphibian concepts, could you design a concept for either Metoposaurus, Eryops or Prinosuchus.

All of my suggested ideas were made by my team, so all reference goes to them.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/16/2021 at 1:47 AM, MonstersHunters said:

A shoulder mount amphibian, now that's something new!

Just as a positive suggestion, maybe the Acanthostega could have a secondary role similar to the otter when it comes to hunting in aquatic environments as Acanthostega was actually primarily piscivorous and fed on small armoured fish. Maybe as another new ability for this unique creature, the Acanthostega could have it's own behaviour setting (that can be adjusted by the player) when it comes to gathering food. See Acanthostega actually was the first terrestrial creature to learn to grab prey with its teeth (this method is known as terrestrial style feeding), which could allow the "Acantho" to grab prey and return it back to it's own for harvesting and gathering resources such as leech blood and maybe have a 40% (ability) chance of obtaining prime fish meat. This amphibian could also have a buff similar to that of the Lystrosaurus's (pet ability) which boosts nearby tames with confidence and increased experience gathering, but instead the "Acantho" could maybe make it's owner resistant to leeches and have a 10-20 (depends on level) second bleed resistance against creatures such as Megapiranha, Carnotaurus, Kentrosaurus, Megalodon and Allosaurus. The Acanthostega should also have a lifecycle (for breeding) similar to other amphibians such as the Diplocaulus and Beelzebufo.

This is an idea I would have never thought of, but has lots of supporting information and potential. Keep up the good work.

Also because you have experience with amphibian concepts, could you design a concept for either Metoposaurus, Eryops or Prinosuchus.

All of my suggested ideas were made by my team, so all reference goes to them.

I know this is a late reply, and you may not be seeing this, but thanks for a feedback! If you are reading this however, I do have a concept for Koolasuchus if you would like to see that. If you do, I can show you that as well as starting to work on a Prionosuchus concept.

Archived