Questions About PvP

raventhebob

so i'm currently confused if ark 2 will have pvp. I'm asking this due to the fact that the pvp community is a painful mess, you have kids just using their 2 year line of lightening wyvs just screaming at you when you start up your base. From an official standpoint dinos hardly get nerfed. If wildcard does remove pvp  the game will fail due to the fact that a majority of arks player base is pvp only.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 4:31 PM, raventhebob said:

so i'm currently confused if ark 2 will have pvp. I'm asking this due to the fact that the pvp community is a painful mess, you have kids just using their 2 year line of lightening wyvs just screaming at you when you start up your base. From an official standpoint dinos hardly get nerfed. If wildcard does remove pvp  the game will fail due to the fact that a majority of arks player base is pvp only.

If will not have PVP then i welcome that, finally no more nerfs cause of PVP.

Majority is PVE only. Go CS.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, DeliaHaze20 said:

it better have pvp i want to kill people i need to release some repressed rage!

I highly doubt they would do no PvP. The question is how are they changing it because I also doubt it will be the same. The above post is right that remaining community is mostly PvE but PvP community is still large and I'd bet that PvP has a way larger potential community. Pretty much 90% of people I knew that liked PvP quit a long time ago due to the atrocious state of PvP ever since server transferring and then extinction came out.

• 6 months later...
On 10/2/2021 at 11:49 AM, Tylanater said:

I highly doubt they would do no PvP. The question is how are they changing it because I also doubt it will be the same. The above post is right that remaining community is mostly PvE but PvP community is still large and I'd bet that PvP has a way larger potential community. Pretty much 90% of people I knew that liked PvP quit a long time ago due to the atrocious state of PvP ever since server transferring and then extinction came out.

I agree server transfers kind of ruined the game. If only we could build on a map and only worry about one alpha who we can be friends with and hopefully get big enough to hit one day.

2 hours ago, Tschon said:

I agree server transfers kind of ruined the game. If only we could build on a map and only worry about one alpha who we can be friends with and hopefully get big enough to hit one day.

I think you're trying to be sarcastic? but this is how it actually worked. A lot of big tribes would burn out and lose their key members and a new tribe would cycle in and the process would repeat itself. If you're the big tribe on the server it gets very boring if no one else can play there. With transferring you can literally just own the server and not let anyone build there unless they are paying you element or real life money and you still have unlimited targets to transfer to.

On 9/9/2021 at 12:01 AM, raventhebob said:

They won't remove PVP since that is what draws people to this game. The game is based around PVP survival.

With regards to folks attacking your base that is part of the PVP experience. It sounds like you got wiped and can't handle it. 

On 9/24/2021 at 8:52 AM, Noa said:

If will not have PVP then i welcome that, finally no more nerfs cause of PVP.

Majority is PVE only. Go CS.

They offer PVE servers and unofficials for those that can't handle competitive play. This game was built for full PVP and would be just another generic run of the mill survival vs AI game without it.

PVP will only have more players if it's good, but the game is being made by the same people who made and enforce ark 1. If they don't adopt more aggressive enforcement policies the game will die to cheaters and RMTers all over again. Probably a lot faster this time. And that's before we even talk about what the gameplay is.

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to Questions About PvP
On 9/23/2021 at 5:00 PM, Joebl0w13 said:

Negative. The devs have said the majority is PVE.

Right, I've done my own calculations. I figured 60 - 70% of the people playing ARK play PvE. This counts all the people playing single player mode, which is PvE.

As a PvE game, ARK is well designed and fun, although playing for long periods with the same character isn't something most people do. I have played one character maybe for 4 months, and then I start a new character on a new server (modded servers).

• Volunteer Moderator
On 5/5/2022 at 1:28 PM, Tylanater said:

PVP will only have more players if it's good, but the game is being made by the same people who made and enforce ark 1. If they don't adopt more aggressive enforcement policies the game will die to cheaters and RMTers all over again. Probably a lot faster this time. And that's before we even talk about what the gameplay is.

Since most of the playerbase is PvE. They may not even want to deal with the balancing, cheating, toxicity, and everything else that comes along with people wanting to digitally kill people they don't know (PvP). May be a good reason to drop the platform. Only time will tell.

14 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Since most of the playerbase is PvE. They may not even want to deal with the balancing, cheating, toxicity, and everything else that comes along with people wanting to digitally kill people they don't know (PvP). May be a good reason to drop the platform. Only time will tell.

But pve is only bigger now because of all of the issues. I think the potential of PVP community is a lot lot bigger than the pve. I know some people like it but ark PvE is kinda mid. I like a lot of pve games but when I try ark PvE it feels like I put up spike walls and now i'm invincible and it gets boring. If you look at Rust, a very similar game, the pvp community is doing much better with much more players. WC have allowed a lot of bad decisions to go through pvp wise. Stale cave meta/impossible to live above ground, few clusters that wipe (keeps rust alive), light enforcement of cheaters (only specific accounts get banned usually, with the tribe receiving no punishment), breeding being ridiculously op (one 450 mana bob can use that alone to soak wipe any newer tribe who doesn't have tek turrets yet + the game is mostly RMTers at this point. The RMT market is insane). Etc.

i definitely hope there is better PvP as that is what I had a lot of fun with, PvE is nice but official is annoying to play (pillaring, lag, etc.) and unofficial is usually too broken and its hard to find players to tribe with who aren't already at tek tier, PvE is kinda nice and relaxing but once you have a bunch of stuff there just isnt much to do, it would be nice to be able to fight but nobody wants to do tribe wars and when playing PvP you have to be playing 24/7 pretty much to avoid being offline wiped.

I also hope they add better defense systems than just spammable turrets because it makes base raiding boring and unfun, raids should be about lots of combat, not slowly pushing turrets while the enemy hides in their base.

On 5/10/2022 at 9:04 AM, Joebl0w13 said:

The playerbase at launch was PVP by a super majority. Only with time has it dwindled which is natural given all games decline in popularity over time.

The devs cannot afford to lose the hard currency that PVP players bring to a game. From tournaments to exciting youtube content (who the hell wants to watch some PVEer doing interior decoration on his base compared to PVP warriors conducting a raid) PVP and its players create the buzz, hype and content needed to sustain a modern game.

With regards to so called "toxicity" the majority of whinge and complain threads on this forum are by PVE players. Everything from numerous silly demands for cosmetic crap to whining that the devs balanced an obviously unbalanced creature (and blaming it on us PVP players). PVE players seem to have a strange aversion to the concept of balance, I guess they like everything easy..

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 2:27 PM, ForzaProiettile said:

The playerbase at launch was PVP by a super majority. Only with time has it dwindled which is natural given all games decline in popularity over time.

The devs cannot afford to lose the hard currency that PVP players bring to a game. From tournaments to exciting youtube content (who the hell wants to watch some PVEer doing interior decoration on his base compared to PVP warriors conducting a raid) PVP and its players create the buzz, hype and content needed to sustain a modern game.

With regards to so called "toxicity" the majority of whinge and complain threads on this forum are by PVE players. Everything from numerous silly demands for cosmetic crap to whining that the devs balanced an obviously unbalanced creature (and blaming it on us PVP players). PVE players seem to have a strange aversion to the concept of balance, I guess they like everything easy..

Could it be that PvP players are just optimists? They go from game to game, hoping to find the one that works well and abandon games like ARK that just aren't all that well suited to PvP.

I've actually played quite a bit of PvP, but not recently. 

Some things in modern games that I don't like for PvP:

1) Full loot.

2) Destruction of your assets, to where you can essentially be returned to the start except for your player level. Some older games just returned you to some starting point and you may have had to repair or do something to restore things back and return to the fight.

3) Uneven clans. Many games I played had essentially two equal sides.

and more.

• 2 weeks later...

If WC would use the same useless battleeye and take ages to respond for cheat - nothing gonna work.

My tribe send over 15-20 videos with speedhackers, aimboters, dudes who able to use exo-suits without element and tekgramms over the last MONTH. And ya knew ? Nothing. 

The only thing they actually did - dewwiped cheater tribe on our home map after 3 days of constant aimbots, speedhack racers, railgun aimbot and our masscrage under forcefield from same railguns. But even in these case from 15 members who attacked us only 3-4 get banned and their home maps (it was crossarks) was left untouched.

Great job keep it up and ARK 2 pvp gonna be best. For cheaters of all kind.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 7:31 PM, Joebl0w13 said:

Just went to Youtube. Searched for Ark, filtered by most viewed content.

Most is PvE content. Go figure.

Yeah, not sure what reality Mr. PVP is living in. Almost all the most well-known Ark streamers/Youtubers are PVE players. And if he thinks building/decorating bases is stupid he REALLY hasn't been paying attention to what Ark videos get a ton of views. Aaron Longstaff's building vids are legendary and the sheer amount of awesome building/furniture mods for the game alone is telling.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2022 at 6:58 AM, margifish said:

Almost all the most well-known Ark streamers/Youtubers are PVE players.

It's not a fair comparison. Ark is and has always been a PvP and PvE game at the same time. All PvP players also consume PvE content. If you don't like any PvE at all you would just play fortnite or CoD. Therefore, all PvE ark channels can pull from the entire playerbase of the game where as PvP channels will generally not interest PvE players. It's undeniable that PvP games have a significantly larger potential audience these days. These are the top 10 steam games right now: CS:GO, Dota 2, Lost Ark, Apex legends, TF2, Ark, Rust, Destiny 2, Dead by daylight, and PUBG. All of these games are exclusively pvp or have a major part of their design/experience based around pvp.

Archived