TL;DR: Add challenge caves or I'm not interested.

First off, I'm not too familiar with the original "Lost Island" mod map, but I feel like this map have to bring the good ol' caving back! I'm a PvE player who's been playing through all the official ARK's and some of the extras with my gf in co-op. 

Genesis 2 Critique
When Genesis 2 dropped we we're so excited, exploring the landscapes eagerly hoping to find some hidden challenges along the way. To our disappointment these vast lands are basically only more of the same. Soon enough we accepted the fact that "the terminals are the caves" and the rest of this huge, empty map might just be base locations for PvP. Some wasted potential, but the ARK is all right overall tbh.

Crystal Isles & Ragnarok
While waiting for the next story ark to drop, we tried out these two huge maps as well. Both had unique and cool landscapes but they also felt a bit empty. For Ragnarok, we prepared ourselves a ton before cave hunting. It was so big we couldn't find them, so had to look it up online. We got to this huge underground cave, excited once again. Got lost, couldn't find anything... And then eventually we came across 2-3 Megalosaurus. Sleeping. Killed them, looked up coordinates for the 2 artifacts which had maybe 1 or 2 scorpions protecting them. This was no challenge. This was empty and boring. We quit the map directly after that. I've heard there are more caves on this map that are harder (Ice Queen etc) but this was too big of a turn-off.

Moving over to Crystal Isles; We had a great time discovering the different biomes and we found a magnificent base location in the beautiful pink tree zone, where we decided to build. On our journey we saw something orange and shiny up a hill. "- Oh, an artifact! Well that was easy. But I'm sure there are some challenge caves as well." Same thing again, too big to explore and we had to search for coordinates online. And the same story here, no challenge getting these artifacts either.

THE ISLAND!
This is by far the best ARK ever (Aberration and Extinction are incredible as well, but they haven't got a chance). The story is brilliant and every corner of this map has its purpose. Not to mention the caves! You really have to progress in the game to be able to overcome the challenges these bring. And they're unique as well; from extreme cold to poisonous gas to extremely tough enemies to deep-sea exploring to lava trenches... The list goes on and on. I've played from beginning to end on this map twice now and I'll do it again, having a blast all the way from start to finish!

I'd love to see something even remotely to this in the new map. Force us to use climbing gear for one cave. Toss me into a pit with angry monkeys throwing poop at me in another cave. Make a non-cryopod cave where only me and my Chitin-hating buddy can fit, so we have to fight off scorpions and mantises by foot. Make it unique and exciting before we try to challenge the end-boss! Not to sound too grumpy about Gen 2, but you've got a good chance of retribution right here.

• 2 months later...

Couldn't agree more.  If dino levels were similar to Rag on the Island, I woulnd't play rag nearly as much.  Although, to beat rag you do have to do the carnivorous cavern (big dark cave) which i always get lost in, the jungle dungeon (lots of prep needed for that, lots), the ice worm queen cave (see prior), and lifes labyrinth which is a massive pain in the butt. 

On the island, you get yourself a good bary and a good basi and you can smash thru all the caves.  But the story flow on the Island is magnificent, I just despise the map itself. 

Archived