Community Crunch 282: Introducing Sinomacrops, Sponsored Mods, EVO Event, and More!

StudioWildcard

2 hours ago, CosmicSkeleton said:

Respect to you and all space salamander bro but I'm gonna be honest, even after hammering out a little dossier skeleton for velociraptor I still feel like there's too many theropods compared to other creatures. At its core Ark might've started as a dino game but even at its earliest it still implemented prehistoric creatures beyond dinosaurs. Imho Gorgonopsid was probably the one I wanted to see succeed  the most behind dinopithecus. It would've been satisfying to see it or postosuchus or any of the other apex predators that strode the earth before the dinosaurs got their stride. That aside there are definitely some people here that could be argued as simply being salty, namely those screeching to the heavens about carcharadontosaurus and carcharadontosaurus alone not being creature 3 just because they wanted and expected it. Maybe it's just me being a cynic, but I feel like when the argument starts with why the runner up is more deserving it boils down to being angry at the loss rather than the actual injustice.

In fairness, a velociraptor would be able to add a lot more than a charchara ever could... mainly by just being a smaller animal (maybe being just slightly smaller than the Nychus and thus being ridable, or maybe being the just mentioned size but being to weak to support the weight of a survivor). Plus the lore of ARK did say that carnivores outnumber their prey in terms of bio-diversity by over double. What we do have is a surplus of LARGE carnivores, the big ticket dinos that play "the big bad" in movies. but if you were to look at the smaller carnivorous dinosaurs, there's not THAT many in comparison. Not including Archy (it eat's insects not meat) or the vulture (it's an animal alive today)... There's Compy, Troodon (which is not a real dinosaur but a dubious taxon), Dilo, Dimorphodon, and microraptor. All the other carnivores are either either large enough to ride, existed before or after dinosaur time, aren't a real animal, or not tame-able. You can count all the small Mesozoic carnivores one only one hand. While every other carnivore on the other hand... yeah there's a lot of them. and anything else that's a big carnivore likely wouldn't add much.

all that said though, you are correct. I'm pretty sure all the people crying about charchara not being creature number 3 are just bitter and salty. I mean I knew for a fact it wasn't going to be that way, and hardly anyone believed me when I voiced my reasoning. WC just doesn't do the "Let's make the runner up a dino too to be nice" shtick, it's not who they are. WC is not a friend, they are a COMPANY. The sooner these children get that, the better.

5 hours ago, TyranntX said:

In fairness, a velociraptor would be able to add a lot more than a charchara ever could... mainly by just being a smaller animal (maybe being just slightly smaller than the Nychus and thus being ridable, or maybe being the just mentioned size but being to weak to support the weight of a survivor). Plus the lore of ARK did say that carnivores outnumber their prey in terms of bio-diversity by over double. What we do have is a surplus of LARGE carnivores, the big ticket dinos that play "the big bad" in movies. but if you were to look at the smaller carnivorous dinosaurs, there's not THAT many in comparison. Not including Archy (it eat's insects not meat) or the vulture (it's an animal alive today)... There's Compy, Troodon (which is not a real dinosaur but a dubious taxon), Dilo, Dimorphodon, and microraptor. All the other carnivores are either either large enough to ride, existed before or after dinosaur time, aren't a real animal, or not tame-able. You can count all the small Mesozoic carnivores one only one hand. While every other carnivore on the other hand... yeah there's a lot of them. and anything else that's a big carnivore likely wouldn't add much.

all that said though, you are correct. I'm pretty sure all the people crying about charchara not being creature number 3 are just bitter and salty. I mean I knew for a fact it wasn't going to be that way, and hardly anyone believed me when I voiced my reasoning. WC just doesn't do the "Let's make the runner up a dino too to be nice" shtick, it's not who they are. WC is not a friend, they are a COMPANY. The sooner these children get that, the better.

THE ALASKAN TROODON WAS A REAL CREATURE DANG IT!

and everything Veloceraptor can do deinonychus can do better.

On 9/4/2021 at 2:40 AM, HolyPoly1026 said:

Than we have Inostran, Livyatan, Tanystropheus, Bison, or literally anything that isn't another near useless shoulder pet only in the game because of youtuber influence. 

Do you like pegos,ichtis and microraptors constantly trying to steal your stuff and knocking you out? The sinemacrops can stop them, if a pego wants to rob you, he can scare him away, do you not like that? In my opinion it is a great QOL feature. Also it was picked by wildcard because they liked it and not because of the rigged vote, I am sure they are not happy that the vote was rigged either.

6 hours ago, TyranntX said:

My general idea at the time for velociraptor was that it was around the size of its real world counterpart so riding was definitely a no go. It was basically supposed to act as a pint sized version of a deinonychus with its latch and bleed being geared for humans or gigantopithecus as the maximum sized target. Essentially it'd be primarily good for low level skirmishes or guarding rather than being another among the myriad of late game tames that have come to dominate the dossiers.

2 hours ago, Compyking said:

THE ALASKAN TROODON WAS A REAL CREATURE DANG IT!

and everything Veloceraptor can do deinonychus can do better.

No it wasn't, the only fossil evidence we have of it are teeth. there's literally no skeleton of a Troodon.

As for the Velociraptor, No. A Velociraptor would have abilities that would differentiate it from other carnivores, like possibly giving a speed boost to any animals near it, and/or aggroing only on bigger animals while ignoring survivors in the wild unless provoked. Charchara on the other hand, as far as what others WANT, is just a giga TLC.

1 hour ago, CosmicSkeleton said:

My general idea at the time for velociraptor was that it was around the size of its real world counterpart so riding was definitely a no go. It was basically supposed to act as a pint sized version of a deinonychus with its latch and bleed being geared for humans or gigantopithecus as the maximum sized target. Essentially it'd be primarily good for low level skirmishes or guarding rather than being another among the myriad of late game tames that have come to dominate the dossiers.

Still thoug, we could speculate a little more than that.. like maybe giving a speed boost to it's nearby allies when tamed? or maybe it could deal increased damage the bigger a target is? Needless to say give it a pack boost, but there's far more potential for a velociraptor than people let on.

On 9/4/2021 at 12:48 AM, ThiccWallaby said:

Instead of adding the 2nd place theropod that looked like a Giga rival, they add the 3rd place useless shoulder mount that only youtuber fans wanted. 

I have no idea at all which or what youtuber wanted it, most people don't care - I wanted it, that was why I voted for it.

Also the vote was only for one creature, this 2nd one appears to me to be a bonus addition and wildcard's choice.

5 hours ago, TyranntX said:

Still thoug, we could speculate a little more than that.. like maybe giving a speed boost to it's nearby allies when tamed? or maybe it could deal increased damage the bigger a target is? Needless to say give it a pack boost, but there's far more potential for a velociraptor than people let on.

Decided to do a bit of digging in my notes since I I saved the original idea on my phone to tweak it a bit. Never really intended to offer it up in the next vote, I just happen to enjoy writing. Pack boost was definitely going to be a feature, but I primarily wrote it as a guard dog/harasser/alarm system that you paired with other tames people like using to harass raiders like dilos and dimorphodons. Basically a tweaked out more deadly troodon.

Velociraptor Vitae (Swift plunderer of life)

Diet: Carnivore Preferred food: Mutton/Regular Kibble

Temperament: Opportunistic

Taming method: Passive*

Wild: "With its diminutive size, slight build, and feathery body, many survivors of the ark might mistake velociraptor vitae at first glance for its nocturnally predatory kin the troodon. Despite this initial assumption however the behaviors and hunting patterns of these creatures is, if one can pardon the pun, night and day. Whereas troodon favor aggressive night time assaults on hapless survivors and their smaller tames, vitae seem perfectly content to watch from a distance and strike only when doing so appears favorable. Another competitor in the now hotly contested title of smartest non-humanoid creature on the ark, Velociraptor will lie in wait with its pack mates for potential prey to become engaged  in a battle for survival with other small predators. Upon the target (or more accurately, targets) showing signs of injury, the alpha will initiate the attack with a piercing screech before the pack swiftly descends on both parties in a flurry of feathers, fangs, and sickle shaped claws. More frightening is the fact that Velociraptor makes use of a similar tactic that its larger dromeosaur cousin deinonychus employs; latching on to and viciously mauling prey until blood loss claims it. When a survivor is at their lowest point, it is often these little nightmares that come to finish the job."

Domesticated: "As the second smallest dromeosaur on the ark Velociraptor is quite obviously impossible to use as a mount. Instead, Velociraptor finds its usage amongst tribes as a tool for asymmetrical warfare. Swift and all too adept at pack hunting, Vitae is commonly used either as a means of harassing survivors and smaller tames in combat or as a surprisingly fearsome guard dog. Some smaller tribes have even been known to pair them alongside dilophosaurs, dimorphodons, and other "harasser" dinosaurs to slow raiding attempts by would be attackers long enough for survivors to take up arms or bring a more powerful creature to end the fight."

Taming Method*: Since taming processes seem to be moving more away from the old fashioned tranq and feed i'd like to keep with the trend and do something a bit different but still relatively familiar. Taming velociraptor involves wounding other creatures around it for it to feed on. While obviously you can just shank something near you with a spear and let nature take its course your best bet at doing this would simply be to knock something out nearby, preferably with a club or bow to get in some good damage with the torpor so the process doesn't drag on. Dodos and other small dinos will do just fine to fill the taming meter and like troodon its effectiveness won't go dropping unless of course it gets hurt. Since it's almost never alone you'd do well to kill pack mates first, after that just do as mentioned above, get out of aggro range, and enjoy your new feathery buddy.

Potential abilities/perks: -Deinonychus style latch and bleed attack on anything up to either human or gigantopithecus size -Pack buff -Warning call (really just the alpha signaling the pack to attack but it'd be a great raid alarm. Will require more than one velociraptor since it's an alpha specific ability) -Armor (it's likely gonna be kinda squishy to make up for that early game ease of taming so this is a nice balance)
Utility:

-Harasser

-Warning signal

-Pet
Dangers: Velociraptor despite not being initially aggressive or too powerful will almost never spawn alone and will eagerly go after a reckless player if they don't play smart. Beach bobbing and suddenly get into a scrap with dilos? Raptor pack. Running for your life from a Rex or an angry theri and you fall off a high point and injure yourself? Raptor pack. Try to knock out any small creature without responsibly genociding every predator nearby? Boy you better believe that's a raptor pack coming to ruin that efficiency. This will be as much a "kick you while you're down" dinosaur as it is an interesting addition to your collection.

Edited by CosmicSkeleton
  • Thanks 1

On 9/5/2021 at 9:50 PM, TyranntX said:

Like I said, all anyone will see is this...

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Seriously dude, Charchara lost... get over it

I didn't want the Charchara, I wanted the fishing pool dino, what I didn't want was the dino that's votes were cheated for to win.

Edited by TheTwistedKeeper
Removed a word that wasn't in the right place

15 hours ago, TheTwistedKeeper said:

I didn't want the Charchara, I wanted the fishing pool dino, what I didn't want was the dino that's votes were cheated for to win.

Crying is still crying, regardless of reason.

6 hours ago, SamuraiGamer said:

you dont liked carcha?and this is a TLC for giga?sino is TLC for archy

No it isn't. Sino has it's own skills and behavior that set's it apart, while charchara is literally the same as giga as far as suggestions are concerned.

3 hours ago, TyranntX said:

Crying is still crying, regardless of reason.

No it isn't. Sino has it's own skills and behavior that set's it apart, while charchara is literally the same as giga as far as suggestions are concerned.

Do your research you hekler carconadonthosaurus is the missing link between rex and giga and if they can do boss fights they will be the bane of the dragon.(before you say it boss fights are awesome and in solo play they prove our worthiness to go to other maps. (phlinger) )

1 hour ago, Compyking said:

Do your research you hekler carconadonthosaurus is the missing link between rex and giga and if they can do boss fights they will be the bane of the dragon.(before you say it boss fights are awesome and in solo play they prove our worthiness to go to other maps. (phlinger) )

Again, That's just a smaller giga... what you want is a to make the giga smaller... not a charhcaradontosaurus.

Edited by TyranntX

On 9/7/2021 at 11:42 AM, TyranntX said:

No it wasn't, the only fossil evidence we have of it are teeth. there's literally no skeleton of a Troodon.

As for the Velociraptor, No. A Velociraptor would have abilities that would differentiate it from other carnivores, like possibly giving a speed boost to any animals near it, and/or aggroing only on bigger animals while ignoring survivors in the wild unless provoked. Charchara on the other hand, as far as what others WANT, is just a giga TLC.

I'm gonna be honest, people just aren't creative. There's so much more you could do with any theropod that would make it different from the others, let alone Carcharo. 

On 9/7/2021 at 9:57 AM, weiterluky said:

Do you like pegos,ichtis and microraptors constantly trying to steal your stuff and knocking you out? The sinemacrops can stop them, if a pego wants to rob you, he can scare him away, do you not like that? In my opinion it is a great QOL feature. Also it was picked by wildcard because they liked it and not because of the rigged vote, I am sure they are not happy that the vote was rigged either.

While I don't hate the sino as much as I previously did, it think everything else on the top 10 would've been more useful than sino I'd done right. Pegos, icthys, and micros are a problem? Sure they are earlygame, but sino becomes much less useful once you gain access to Rex, Spino, Yuty, Theri, Bronto, Paracer, Megatherium, Rock Drake, Wyvern, Crab, Reaper, Magmasaur, Rock Golem, or the other dozen creatures that the three pests don't aggro to (pego still aggros to them but the dinos mentioned are too tall for pego to steal anything from you.)

The main reason people (or at least me) are mad about sino being chosen by Wildcard is that they knew the creature had a rigged vote from the start, but for some reason still thought "hey, I bet the community would love this creature to be added". The final vote and even some unofficial votes proved that people didn't want sino as much, and Carcharo reigned supreme. However, wildcard knew the vote was rigged, knew adding sino would cause even more controversy, knew not adding carcharo would add more controversy on top of that, pretty much ignored the rest of the top 10, and went straight for sino. They had so many other options. They could've picked something that wasn't even in the top 10, but they picked the most hated creature out of the whole submissions.

Edited by HolyPoly1026

You know, community votes to decide what the next enemy should be in a video game always bring out the worst in the community. No matter what, someone is always gonna be pissy that their favorite enemy or mob or dino didn't win. Look at what happened to the minecraft mob vote, people threw fits because their favorite mob didn't win. Same thing going on here.

7 minutes ago, MangoRuby said:

You know, community votes to decide what the next enemy should be in a video game always bring out the worst in the community. No matter what, someone is always gonna be pissy that their favorite enemy or mob or dino didn't win. Look at what happened to the minecraft mob vote, people threw fits because their favorite mob didn't win. Same thing going on here.

Same with Minecraft, people actually have a reason to be upset. If the vote was perfectly normal, nothing bad happen to create controversy, and no one ruined the vote for everyone else, then there wouldn't be a reason to be upset. However, we can never have good things in life, so instead, people decide to ruin everything for everyone else, just to get what they want in a game. It happened with both minecraft and ark for the same exact reason.

17 hours ago, HolyPoly1026 said:

While I don't hate the sino as much as I previously did, it think everything else on the top 10 would've been more useful than sino I'd done right. Pegos, icthys, and micros are a problem? Sure they are earlygame, but sino becomes much less useful once you gain access to Rex, Spino, Yuty, Theri, Bronto, Paracer, Megatherium, Rock Drake, Wyvern, Crab, Reaper, Magmasaur, Rock Golem, or the other dozen creatures that the three pests don't aggro to (pego still aggros to them but the dinos mentioned are too tall for pego to steal anything from you.)

The main reason people (or at least me) are mad about sino being chosen by Wildcard is that they knew the creature had a rigged vote from the start, but for some reason still thought "hey, I bet the community would love this creature to be added". The final vote and even some unofficial votes proved that people didn't want sino as much, and Carcharo reigned supreme. However, wildcard knew the vote was rigged, knew adding sino would cause even more controversy, knew not adding carcharo would add more controversy on top of that, pretty much ignored the rest of the top 10, and went straight for sino. They had so many other options. They could've picked something that wasn't even in the top 10, but they picked the most hated creature out of the whole submissions.

Even if it had not been rigged this probably would still be added and it is useful seeing as it is pretty much an early game glider suit