Plugin VivoxCore failed to load

KelTuzack

"Plugin VivoxCore failed to load because module VivoxCore could not be found. Please ensure the plugin in properly installed, otherwise consider disabling the plugin for the project."

I start a dedicated server with a command line and this error shows since last update. Server won't start.

Anyone knows how to disable Vivox with a command line argument?

I run the Epic version of Ark, it just updated this morning to version 678.7

-EDIT:

I managed to start the server by changing the plugin status to false in ShooterGame.uproject

{
            "Name": "VivoxCore",
            "Enabled": false
        }

Sadly, that doesn't help because it seems they did NOT UPDATE the ShooterGameServer.exe version. It is still running the 336.24 version. The updated client won't see the old server in the server list.

-EDIT #2: In the meantime I found a workaround. Instead of relying on the server version they release on steam and Epic, I setup a standalone dedicated server installation using SteamCMD. The version 678.10 is available through that method. Server files only take ~15Gb of space.

Instructions here : https://ark.fandom.com/wiki/Dedicated_server_setup

This is starting to piss me off. I do not have any Epic players. STOP PUTTING EPIC CRAP ON MY SYSTEM. Nobody plays the Epic version! Let me have a stable, Steam-only version! I do not give a damn if some Epic fan can play or not. If they want to play they can approach me and I can worry about it then. Every time my server has crashed int he past year or two has been after an update because we are so damned worried about some Epic players who almost don't exist. I can't use UDP straight from the Unreal Engine any more. That increased latency for many players. Then we had to have this Vivox pile of garbage for players we never see. Now that Vivox garbage is crashing my server!

Make a Steam-only version for  the 90% of us on Steam, and make a second release for those who actually want or need cross-play. Crap like this makes me HATE Epic. EGS is horrible. Still better that uPlay though...

-EDIT #2 to the original Post: In the meantime I found a workaround. Instead of relying on the server version they release on steam and Epic, I setup a standalone dedicated server installation using SteamCMD. The version 678.10 is available through that method. Server files only take ~15Gb of space.

Mine *IS* a standalone version. You use SteamCMD to setup a dedicated server. I have never seen one on Steam itself. I set it up with SteamCMD back in 2015 and aside from a few patches which break things like this, it's been rock solid. My complaint is that I don't know a single soul who uses the Epic version but my privately-owned servers (I own the hardware, the fiber feeding them, the OS, and all) now cannot do raw UDP which GREATLY reduces ping because Epic players cannot do that, I have to laod this Vivox crap despite voice-comms working on Steam for YEARS without out, plus we use TS3 in my clan, and now, for the third time, stuff for the Epic players is keeping my entire cluster and players offline. None of us use EGS, so we're being punished. It's hard to walk away from 24,000hrs, but it is getting easier each time an Epic pile of garbage keeps me offline in the VERY LIMITED time I have to play these days.

*EDIT*

I just found the options to enable Epic stuff on a Steam server like mine. I have NONE of these specified on the command-line, so why is Vivox crashing my Steam-only server? I don't care if some random Epic player can join! We are password-protected for members and friends only!

2021-09-01 Ark Epic Settings.jpg

Last time they released a wrong file version for the server executable, it took them at least more than a month to fix it. After 3 bad releases in a row, I just put the game aside and played something else for a few months... but they made some other fixes in a few days. So you never know...

The standalone installation was pretty simple though, I'd recommend you give it a try.

1 hour ago, KelTuzack said:

-EDIT #2 to the original Post: In the meantime I found a workaround. Instead of relying on the server version they release on steam and Epic, I setup a standalone dedicated server installation using SteamCMD. The version 678.10 is available through that method. Server files only take ~15Gb of space.

Thank you, I'll give it a try.

4 hours ago, KelTuzack said:

-EDIT #2: In the meantime I found a workaround. Instead of relying on the server version they release on steam and Epic, I setup a standalone dedicated server installation using SteamCMD. The version 678.10 is available through that method. Server files only take ~15Gb of space.

Thanks a bunch Kel!

I was wondering "do you have to do something different to get the 678.10 version like before today's crap update"? I answered this for myself by just following the instructions Kel provided and it worked on Windows.

I am not super clear on why the dedicated server doesn't have this problem and am curious about that... But hey, it works!

3 hours ago, KelTuzack said:

This problem has nothing to do with Epic though, Wildcard released the wrong file versions for the ShooterGameServer.exe again, both on steam and Epic.

I'd disable Vivox as well if I could since I'm playing solo or duo on this server but the game does not even support it.

Incorrect. The problem is with Vivox directly. I have been in contact with many other admins today and combined we have close to 100 servers down due to them crashing the instant they attempt to start with a dump about Vivox not loading. The version problem was wanna-be admins not installing correctly from day one. The day one instructions were and have been for dedicated servers for decades, use SteamCMD. As noted above, I have ten servers and they were installed via SteamCMD. They have the correct version and never had the issue updating because it was done by the book from day one. Heck the first post here clearly states an issue with Vivox in the very first line! Vivox was added FOR EPIC PLAYERS because EGS has nothing but a storefront.

I am not attacking you, but pointing out that the original issue was directly related to Vivox. The OP then discovered he had the wrong version. Had the server been installed properly, by the book, that problem would not have shown up. Meanwhile servers all over are indeed down due to Vivox crashing when you attempt to start the server, even if we have not told the server to use Vivox. So yes, Vivox is an issue and if I could have my Steam-only server I would not have an issue and neither would the group of admins I chat with.

TLDR;

The original post clearly states in the very first line that the issue a bunch of us admins are having is with Vivox, a voice-comm added for Epic players because Epic has no infrastructure for voice, unlike Steam. The OP realized he did some strange, unsupported server install originally, found the directions the rest of us used, fixed a bad install and got lucky. Before ever posting here I personally verified the install via SteamCMD since the servers were a SteamCMD install and even reinstalled a few for giggles. Vivox is still crashing servers.

Also, I started a server at random and captured the error. Note that the version is indeed 678.10 and the crash is indeed the server attempting to load Vivox against my wishes. Vivox doesn't load, server craps itself, and we're still down.

2021-09-01 Ark Server Crash.jpg

10 hours ago, KelTuzack said:

I have mods, so will I have to move the mods and content folder over? it's like 300gb total.

15 hours ago, KelTuzack said:

"Plugin VivoxCore failed to load because module VivoxCore could not be found. Please ensure the plugin in properly installed, otherwise consider disabling the plugin for the project."

I start a dedicated server with a command line and this error shows since last update. Server won't start.

Anyone knows how to disable Vivox with a command line argument?

I run the Epic version of Ark, it just updated this morning to version 678.7

-EDIT:

I managed to start the server by changing the plugin status to false in ShooterGame.uproject

{
            "Name": "VivoxCore",
            "Enabled": false
        }

Sadly, that doesn't help because it seems they did NOT UPDATE the ShooterGameServer.exe version. It is still running the 336.24 version. The updated client won't see the old server in the server list.

i am sorry i dont quite understand this workaround? I run my dedicated server using steamcmd but i am also getting the vivoxcore error when trying to boot up the server would really like to know how to fix thanks

Vivox core appears to be attempting to load the client. Look at the error I posted above. It calls "GetVivoxClient()" on our dedicated servers. This is very clearly a programming error and I am just floored that we are stuck all this time later. Clearly it IS a patch issue. We all had dedicated servers running, whether correctly via SteamCMD or through some other method, we patched, and now we cannot even start them. I have completely removed my server install and installed fresh via SteamCMD and still get the error.

I believe I am going to write a script which will start the server and when the PID dies, it will autmatically file a bug-report and attach the logs and crash-dump. Let's see if Wildcard will respond to a few thousand crash dumps.

Hello everyone. This is my first time trying to reply to a thread here or ask or answer a question I have seen on Survivetheark. But with this I had to say something. I found for my setup a fix for this specific issue with this stupid vivoxcore crap. Forgive my rambling but here we go. I have a PC I built specifically for an Ark Survival Evolved server. The only two things downloaded through STEAM is Ark the game, and Ark Dedicated Server. I found Ark dedicated server when you go to STEAM and goto your library and the left side  in a vertical list is your games, go up to where it says games and click and check the box for tools. Ark dedicated server will show up. Download it. I then will go into ark dedicated server and goto the folder that has shootergameserver.exe and right click and copy it. then goto Ark survival evolved and go to the folder under WIN64 and then in that folder will be shootergameserver.exe. right click on that and delete it. and then right click again and paste the shootergameserver.exe and click on paste. I have had to do this a number of times over the past couple  years because it seems my shootergameserver.exe in the ark game doesn't update. but the shootergameserver.exe in the Ark dedicated server does. and now my server is loading and working fine with no vivoxcore error message crap. soooo I hope this helps you guys. it worked for me.

Archived