Hopefully someone can explain what just happened

Doomette

So the game crashed as I was on my way back from a metal run with my argy and anky. After a couple of failed joined attempts and about 10min of the session just disappearing from the list, I was able to get back on. And of course I fell to my death because heaven forbid the game keep you on your mount after you get kicked. Flew back with my snow owl, whistled for my argy to follow, and went to find my poor Anky Breaky Heart. Found him, realized argy didn’t follow me, and found it looking like it was flying but not actually moving. Then it just disappeared right in front of my eyes. I tried looking for a bit, but was worried about my anky all by himself so I started back to my base to get another argy. And guess who was just hovering over my base like nothing happened? That little scamp argy. This wasn’t the only time it has happened either (that specific argy disappearing after I get kicked, only to be somehow back at my base, it happened once before). Now obviously I can’t complain, I’m glad the game didn’t just eat my bird, but what mechanic/bug/whatever am I unaware of explains this?

I had the same mistake a few days ago. My Tropea (which didn't want to land) disappeared before my eyes and has not appeared since.
At first I searched the whole area around the place but found nothing. He hasn't appeared at my base either. No death report either. Nothing.

Does anyone have any idea where I could look? He still seems to be alive because there has been no death report so far.

On 8/29/2021 at 10:22 PM, Doomette said:

So the game crashed as I was on my way back from a metal run with my argy and anky. After a couple of failed joined attempts and about 10min of the session just disappearing from the list, I was able to get back on. And of course I fell to my death because heaven forbid the game keep you on your mount after you get kicked. Flew back with my snow owl, whistled for my argy to follow, and went to find my poor Anky Breaky Heart. Found him, realized argy didn’t follow me, and found it looking like it was flying but not actually moving. Then it just disappeared right in front of my eyes. I tried looking for a bit, but was worried about my anky all by himself so I started back to my base to get another argy. And guess who was just hovering over my base like nothing happened? That little scamp argy. This wasn’t the only time it has happened either (that specific argy disappearing after I get kicked, only to be somehow back at my base, it happened once before). Now obviously I can’t complain, I’m glad the game didn’t just eat my bird, but what mechanic/bug/whatever am I unaware of explains this?

Not sure it is the same, but I have had this exact thing happen ( not getting metal) but other times. And the one thing they all have in common is a dino leash. Were you using a dino leash?

The only time I've had this happen they seem to get confused. No visual red lock or anything, they appear fine. then all of a sudden it's like the leash pulls them back or something. they are always at the edge of the leash perimeter. 

That's my only experience with snatched dinos and it happens quite often.

1 hour ago, Entenkiller said:

I had the same mistake a few days ago. My Tropea (which didn't want to land) disappeared before my eyes and has not appeared since.
At first I searched the whole area around the place but found nothing. He hasn't appeared at my base either. No death report either. Nothing.

Does anyone have any idea where I could look? He still seems to be alive because there has been no death report so far.

Yes, like the other guy suggests. I am pretty sure its related to the leash and it not working properly. They are off the leash, but it somehow triggers to be on the leash again. Im also not certain yet why this happens and on what occasions it will or might happen. So in "ticks" its moving towards the leash. If you can mount the creature, do that. Mostly its not possible, but trying to let it move will only trigger "ticks" So let it be and try to reach it if neccecary. If not possible to mount it, follow it back in a straight line towards your base. (Towards the leash they were previously attached to)

Again, Im not at all certain yet when this might be triggered. But Id say it has to do with dinos going into stasis when flying. Not "properly" unleashed (dismounted and remounted after leaving leash range, before ???) Then adjusting its location by other means then when mounted. (Move to, Try to land, Follow)

7 minutes ago, Doomette said:

Yup, it was within the leash radius. As far as bugs go it’s not the worst but it’s still pretty weird. 

yeah, We don't use them as much as we used to. If one of our dinos is snatched, that's the first thing I look to. and it's usually the culprit. I usually ride the dino out a couple times and it helps. haven't had it happen in a minute. Good luck! I haven't been able to play at all today since the update last night. So things can be worse :D

18 hours ago, Entenkiller said:

You can either look at 50.50 or check the eastward path. I have seen this several times that tames started running eastwards (growing longitude) until they hang at an obstacle.

On 8/30/2021 at 1:22 AM, Doomette said:

Happens to us on single player too, but without the kicking.....literally just be flying along with another argy in tow, then poof. It just straight up disapears......no clue where to look to find it, quick dump off the one I was riding, then poof. The magic disappearing bird appears out of no where

2 hours ago, Zapha said:

You can either look at 50.50 or check the eastward path. I have seen this several times that tames started running eastwards (growing longitude) until they hang at an obstacle.

Oh yeah, I forgot about 50.50

For whatever reason, the game does teleport things to this location randomly. I check it every once in awhile just to see what pops up.....Had an argy do this to me once. It was a low level and didn't much care about it, but it was rather surprising to see him just suddenly pop into existence and then gently land. 

1 hour ago, wizard03 said:

Happens to us on single player too, but without the kicking.....literally just be flying along with another argy in tow, then poof. It just straight up disapears......no clue where to look to find it, quick dump off the one I was riding, then poof. The magic disappearing bird appears out of no where

So you say you also couldnt find your (Argy) within a leash range at your base, or find it back along your way (incidently) towards your base? 
With the leash glitch, I think it doesnt just "poof" away, but its actually traveling along x-y axis really fast. Maybe going from a position caused by "Follow" and then the leash range. Not sure why it wouldnt set its distance to leash to the leashes' max range instantly. It feels like its setting it closer and closer everytime, at which the origin of the next "set location" is completely based on a a riddle.
And with the 50-50, it must be a devs script, because to me 0,0 makes more sense. I did in the past find somebodies flyer at 0,0 and 1 time my wyvern also traveled to 0,0 for no reason. (Island)
Online you can cheese the traveling and make a large circle around the location and meet it on your way towards the location you last saw it, traveling from 0-0 or 50-50

On 8/29/2021 at 10:22 PM, Doomette said:

If your tame disappears on you, but reappears closer to your base - then what could be happening is it is under effect of a leash.    I've actually seen this happen with my skiff recently.    Porting away from base with a leash area overlapping on a teleporter will for sure trigger this effect.

21 hours ago, SunsetErosion said:

So you say you also couldnt find your (Argy) within a leash range at your base, or find it back along your way (incidently) towards your base? 
With the leash glitch, I think it doesnt just "poof" away, but its actually traveling along x-y axis really fast. Maybe going from a position caused by "Follow" and then the leash range. Not sure why it wouldnt set its distance to leash to the leashes' max range instantly. It feels like its setting it closer and closer everytime, at which the origin of the next "set location" is completely based on a a riddle.
And with the 50-50, it must be a devs script, because to me 0,0 makes more sense. I did in the past find somebodies flyer at 0,0 and 1 time my wyvern also traveled to 0,0 for no reason. (Island)
Online you can cheese the traveling and make a large circle around the location and meet it on your way towards the location you last saw it, traveling from 0-0 or 50-50

I do not have any dino leash's. I just have them follow me everywhere. But once you leave their render range, the game either turns them into ghosts that follow you but you cannot see them, or they suspend their following command which leaves them hovering in place. However there was also a few times where they just completely disappear. 50.50 was the location they magically reappeared. Especially babies and eggs.

Incredible, it happened again!
The same map (Crystall Island) but a different location.
We went looking for the missing Tropea. With another Tropea.
The Tropea was on to follow and got stuck on a different player structure. We were at 50/50 looking for the missing Tropea.
Just disappeared before our eyes.

Then I circled the entire map to search the east. And again at 50/50. Nothing!
The two missing Tropea did not reappear at the base either.
No death report. Nothing!
What a raptoring bug ...

I've flown across the map b4 got kicked logged back in fell to my death and been unable to find my flyer. Often if ur Internet is down the game won't kicked u for a minute or 2 so u could travel quite some distance if u didn't realise u were not connected. Gen 2 has the exo suit problem exactly the same when u dc and are across the map when u get back on. 

In summary, it can be determined: Both Tropea have disappeared because.

1. The Tropea were to "follow"
2. Both stuck to playful structures
3. Both were trapped in a dino leash before leaving the base.
4. The dinosaurs suddenly disappeared from one second to the next.
5. There was and is no death report!

And where do I look now?

My skiff did that to me just the other day, I found it was following a line back to my base right to the center of my leash area.  Then it was in my base when i reached it, then it disappeared.  Then it was just outside my building down a cliff a little ways away and was finally stable and was no longer blinking away from  me as I reached it.

You might try flying around on an owl or w/ tek helmet and look for it that way along path from where it first got lost and then look along a path back to where you think it was headed.

There is also another quirky bug that has become a normal thing too that's not really the same but similarly annoying.  Now when saves are started and you are flying, if you dismount while that's going on - the game will pop you off where you saw yourself last, but it will put your mount back where it was when server save began.  Added effect with skiffs is it will count the fuel spent during save even though it rolls you back to a position when the save started, it counts all the fuel you spent during the gamesave.

20 hours ago, Entenkiller said:

Incredible, it happened again!
The same map (Crystall Island) but a different location.
We went looking for the missing Tropea. With another Tropea.
The Tropea was on to follow and got stuck on a different player structure. We were at 50/50 looking for the missing Tropea.
Just disappeared before our eyes.

Then I circled the entire map to search the east. And again at 50/50. Nothing!
The two missing Tropea did not reappear at the base either.
No death report. Nothing!
What a raptoring bug ...

the spot in crystal isles is different due to the size of the map.....I think thats more 60,50???

someone help me, I know its a different longitude or lattitude, but still center of the map?

18 hours ago, Entenkiller said:

In summary, it can be determined: Both Tropea have disappeared because.

1. The Tropea were to "follow"
2. Both stuck to playful structures
3. Both were trapped in a dino leash before leaving the base.
4. The dinosaurs suddenly disappeared from one second to the next.
5. There was and is no death report!

And where do I look now?

I still believe the glitch you are describing is the same as my "Leash Glitch"

1. Yes, same
2. Not neccecary structures I think. Stuck behind anything might get it to happen.
3. Yes, ofcourse, I could even see the leash icon above my dinos name, when away from my base, nowhere near my leash.
4. It doesnt disappear, it relocates. I had the chance to see it "blink" 10-20 meters closer towards the leash every time.
(I really think you should really consider traveling/flying from the initial spot you lost your Tropea, towards your base with the leash, or 50-50, in a straight line. My base is actually at 50-50 so I dont know if it goes to 50-50 or my base :))
5. Its probably not dead! It still waiting for you! :)

Edit: Keep it on follow when looking for it when its "blinking" So it keeps blinking towards its destination, unless you can reach it and mount it.

6 hours ago, wizard03 said:

the spot in crystal isles is different due to the size of the map.....I think thats more 60,50???

someone help me, I know its a different longitude or lattitude, but still center of the map?

Ci is at 50 50,  but ur right not all maps have that point there.  On genone it’s at 80. 80.

Incredible! We found the two Tropea again! After over a week!
Your tips here in the forum have led to success. 🤩

The animals reappeared on the STRAIGHT way from the place of disappearance to their home base.
The search with a snowy owl has proven to be the BEST.

The rule of thumb seems to apply: The first big obstacle (mountain, rocks or trees) causes the animals to stop.
Built structures are not considered an obstacle. You don't stop the animals!

Thank you for the numerous tips and hints! 😀

On 9/7/2021 at 2:11 PM, Entenkiller said:

The animals reappeared on the STRAIGHT way from the place of disappearance to their home base.
The search with a snowy owl has proven to be the BEST.

Good for you to have them back! :)
Why didnt I think about the Snow owl? 🤦‍♂️ It helped me also in noumerous occasions. It can help a lot when your pet is lost in dense forrest.

Archived