Shadowmane Viability?

CanisLupus

5 hours ago, CanisLupus said:

So I've seen a lot of bossing with Shadowmanes, issue is most look like they have incredibly modded stats due to damage output. So I was wondering about the viability of vanilla shadowmanes as bossing dinos, levels, stats and all.

actually you might be in for a shock, the couple people Iv kept an eye on swear they are doing it with vanilla settings....the natural armor being the most important feature. Lets face it, you find a lvl 150 shadowmane, its got the max armour right off the bat.
Then with imprinting, boom. You have all you need to boss fight. No need to go find a saddle BP.....Add a yuty, mate boost, shadowmane roar, and maybe a piggy to heal on the fly and I would accept it as truth.

While you can be skeptical on this and that, the idea and ability even on vanilla server settings.....its there, it can be done. With that said tho, I think I would still stick with theri's on the dragon. Lest till I had a few mutations in play

18 hours ago, wizard03 said:

actually you might be in for a shock, the couple people Iv kept an eye on swear they are doing it with vanilla settings....the natural armor being the most important feature. Lets face it, you find a lvl 150 shadowmane, its got the max armour right off the bat.
Then with imprinting, boom. You have all you need to boss fight. No need to go find a saddle BP.....Add a yuty, mate boost, shadowmane roar, and maybe a piggy to heal on the fly and I would accept it as truth.

While you can be skeptical on this and that, the idea and ability even on vanilla server settings.....its there, it can be done. With that said tho, I think I would still stick with theri's on the dragon. Lest till I had a few mutations in play

Im with OP - base damage stats (wikkie) are 35  compared to a rex 62 Base health is 825 compared to a  rex is 1100, - so how does this compete?
Half damage and 2/3 as "squishiy".  What am I missing?

50 minutes ago, DirkInSA said:

Im with OP - base damage stats (wikkie) are 35  compared to a rex 62 Base health is 825 compared to a  rex is 1100, - so how does this compete?

Well for one you are not factoring in their pack bonus roar buff. They have a water buff, they are a much smaller with a smaller hitbox and can turn and maneuver much much better than a rex. Also I would say their bites per second is faster than a rex. Shadowmanes have multiple types of attacks as well as doing a DoT damage to enemies. I would say they are much more versatile than rex's in my opinion.

On 8/29/2021 at 8:35 PM, wizard03 said:

That definitely makes sense for sure. All that they have, it certainly is why it made me so interested to look up their vanilla viability as bossing dinos. My friend and I have been trying to figure out bossing plans and from what I've picked up on the shadowmane meta, it sounds like they're a worthwhile consideration as rex competition for bossing overall. Especially, as you mentioned, that natural armor is glorious and saves so much resource grinding, and in turn time spent simply to make enough ascendant saddles.

7 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

DPS, natural armor, power attack.....but yeah, a lvl 1 mane vs a lvl 1 rex, rex wins.....now with that said, a max tame shadowmane vs a max tame rex WITH an ascendant saddle, the shadowmane wins. https://youtu.be/KSbDTyEJUpQ?t=902

However the question was if they could take down bosses. If max level, imprinted, and leveled up accordingly, yes. They can be used to hit bosses. May not even need to worry about mutations even. 

39 minutes ago, CanisLupus said:

That definitely makes sense for sure. All that they have, it certainly is why it made me so interested to look up their vanilla viability as bossing dinos. My friend and I have been trying to figure out bossing plans and from what I've picked up on the shadowmane meta, it sounds like they're a worthwhile consideration as rex competition for bossing overall. Especially, as you mentioned, that natural armor is glorious and saves so much resource grinding, and in turn time spent simply to make enough ascendant saddles.

It kinda bums me out that its the last page in the storyline department and if you wanted to play this as some form of run through to progress to the finally, its the last tame on the list. But I feel like at that point in time, it is rather mundane to grind rexs, then the saddle BP's, then the resources.....

So yeah, it is nice not to worry about the saddles, its a bummer to only get to that point last page of the story.

I play on an Unofficial with settings identical to Official. I have 1st generation Shadowmanes with relatively average stats and two of them(Male and female) can kill a wild Giga. 

I have damage numbers on so I can see live how powerful they are and they are ridiculous. I ride a male to give the courage roar, the only problem is that the roar only seems to increase the damage of the one you're riding, but it's a substantial rise. Courage and mate boosted my Shadowmane(700% damage after levelling) does about 900-1000 damage, which is about equal to the bite of a 230% melee giga, for comparison. The issue is, as I said, the roar only seems to effect the Shadowmane that did the roar. The rest of them, with mate boost, do about 300-400 damage a hit. In water, mate boosted and roar boost, a charge attack does nearly 5k damage, it's insane.

As for their armor, I took two mate boosted Shadowmane's up against the TItanosaur, my Manes had 15k Health and 700% melee, and the Titano had 90k health left when I had to back out because the Mane that wasn't ridden nearly died, but the one I was riding was still at 8k. Without mate boost, the unridden Shadowmane was taking about 300 damage a hit from the Titano, when I was close to it and it had the mate boost, it was only taking about 20/30 damage. 

So yeah, long story short, their armor is ridiculous when ridden and mate boosted, the roar only seems to affect the one you're riding and their attack, in the right circumstances, is crazy high.

Archived