WoW and Ark…Father and Son.

Oriongaming1234

So with all the news from WoW coming up on how they fell from being the top #1 MMO there was an interesting discussion/theory that came out about the current state of the gaming industry in MMOS which lead me to this conclusion which I had a feeling since gen1 ark came out but this kinda prove it.

The business format stablished by WoW is something that most MMO developers are using.
so I have been reading the news and watching the major ex or current Wow players and weirdly how they spoke about WoW was exactly how most of us talk about Ark. what does that mean? 
Well, WoW over the past 10 years has sold a game that is broken (knowingly) which the developers then later sell a DLC or give an update to fix the issues they knowingly left to later fix it near a DLC to create hype to the core players of the game. They know these games are addicting due to the grind leading to a reward in quality of life ingame instead of actually giving you good gameplay cause it is cheaper to give less for more ingame work than good game play for more new content. 

if that doesn’t make sense think it in this format:

*Have a core game

*create an issue

*fix issue in DLC

*players join the game again for the fix but not for the DLC actual gameplay being good.

I mean, I kept asking my self, “how is it that a simple problem takes these multimillion dollar game developers so long to fix?” And something clicked when I kept telling my tribe mates over the years that this was always the pattern. And what is the best way to sell to sell a DLC but by fixing the problem they created to sell the solution. Not by actually creating something new for the game worth playing. 

think about it…

created the issues with slow fliers by nerffing the fliers speed…then release wyvens…forces you to buy…scorched earth.

creates issues with getting element and transferring it… releases Extinction.

creates issues with picking up your base so you don’t lose your mats…you have to buy gen2.

element is a grind on free maps…creates gen1. 

fair enough that games are a business but I think it is interesting than it is not only ark pulling this crazy strategy to sell DLCs. And that perhaps WoW is the father of this business model.

Not that Ark devs don’t fix things. They eventually do but is usually to create the hype for us to buy the upcoming DLC which usually doesn’t bring much new content but a minor improvement that makes life ingame less worst. And like the game addicted people we are we get back to the grind. To feel that minor improvement make life a little less grind….while we are grinding just for that minor implementation.

Gen2 is a perfect example of that. We should of had the mek to pick up things 3 years ago. But it was only released now. That is the only good thing about that DLC. The missions are terrible, the map is ok, and the server stability is as usual…bad. But we all got back to grind just so that we could now NOT lose everything that tooked us hundreds of hours. Which is crazy.

watch asmongold talk about Wow…and every time he says “blizzard” change it for Wild Card…it will make sense. I am so glad I wasn’t the only one who was thinking this.

1 hour ago, Oriongaming1234 said:

That is the only good thing about that DLC. The missions are terrible, the map is ok, and the server stability is as usual…bad.

I'd have to disagree and say that you are wrong. I love that DLC. It's not perfect, but it is a lot of fun.

Although I do agree with you on some aspects. I would prefer if the quality of life stuff was in the base game, and have the DLC stuff be more suited to be used on the map that its found on. That's what made Aberration hands down the best DLC.

Despite that I still bought all the DLCs not for the Exo Mek, wyvern, or the easier element, but because they provided their own different, and awesome unique experiences.

Archived