Breeding: Mutations and how to get started?

RoyalHoyness

Hey everyone!

I'm pretty new to this whole official server thing and I am learning a ton of new stuff about the game in particular breeding and mutations. From what I've found out from this, there are "proper" ways to breed, but then some people just keep breeding until they get something that is semi close to what they are wanting, but then the mutations will have stacks in the negatives.

My question for everyone would be what is the best way to get started with breeding (in general) as far as level of tamed dinos, mutations (how they work/what they are), and how to breed them effectively and efficiently so I don't spend the rest of my life being a breeder.

Please feel free to link me any videos or guides that explain this if that is any easier and I thank you all in advance!

-Royal    

The video does not really explain what's important for starters.

It should better explain the difference between points and final values. The final values are good for dps calculations and posing, but for a breeder they are unlikely.

For the breeder only the base points are important and nowhere in the video it's mentioned that "30" is the leading number, means every wild base stat of 30 or greater is worth to breed. So if you collect wild dinos for the breeding try to get some with 30 or more points in a stat.

If you want to avoid permanent use of tools like dodoex for calculating forth and back points and final numbers, use only the numbers displayed on the egg incubator.

12 hours ago, RoyalHoyness said:

Hey everyone!

I'm pretty new to this whole official server thing and I am learning a ton of new stuff about the game in particular breeding and mutations. From what I've found out from this, there are "proper" ways to breed, but then some people just keep breeding until they get something that is semi close to what they are wanting, but then the mutations will have stacks in the negatives.

My question for everyone would be what is the best way to get started with breeding (in general) as far as level of tamed dinos, mutations (how they work/what they are), and how to breed them effectively and efficiently so I don't spend the rest of my life being a breeder.

Please feel free to link me any videos or guides that explain this if that is any easier and I thank you all in advance!

-Royal    

There are several types of breeding projects that people do to target specific things on the dinos they use or just plain love.

Stat mutation projects /  color projects /  zero stat projects / rolling counter projects / final mixing projects 

A person or tribe can do any any of these things methodically , or they can just wing it and start going at it - there's no "must" in how to breed.  Most of these types of projects are completely unnecessary, but some people want their dinos to look and perform certain ways.  Overpowered and flashy is commonly desired, but often completely excessive.

To mutate stats the most efficiently - you breed so that you only keep mutations that stack the same type of stat mutation.  So if I'm breeding for a melee mutation, I toss all babies that do not give me a stat mutation (some will keep non-desired mutations for their colors on color mixing projects).  I keep the first baby that gives me a 1 mutation and it's on melee.  That baby is used to try for the next one w/ another mutation and that will also be on melee.  All other babies will be killed or wasted mutations might be kept for the color that goes w/ the mutation.   All mutations will generate a color change even if it can't be seen on the animal, not all color changes are equal.  If a baby shows up with 2 or 3 mutations at once, if 1 is melee but the other 1 or 2 aren't - most likely baby is killed unless kept for colors*(this rule changes later on, by the time you reach that stage, you will know why and when that is.).

color projects ignore stats usually, but not for everyone, some people mix their best stats and colors all at once, but some of us try to get solid color dinos and so we breed just to focus putting all the colors in place, ignoring stats.  This can be done ignoring mutation count, or it can be a hard fast rule that no mutations are allowed into this mix.  There's different reasons for both paths, but this is a 2 different goal kinda breeding project. 

zero stat projects are to make a level 1 dino, taming all lowest lvl dinos possible and then merging all stats that have zero points to them.  THis dino , no mutations are allowed to flow into the final mix.  The goal of this dino is to use a female version of it as a cheap cloneable breeder for a mutation or color project.

Rolling counter projects , you touched upon this result in your post, but you didn't really understand the point of it.  THis is a deliberately bred project where the breeder keeps mating siblings to double the mutation count over and over again , from +1 to +2....all the way up to 2billion.  ONce this limit is reached, the counter will flip to a negative.  And a negative # is less than 20, which means it can supply a mutation again.  Move this count over to the highest stat mix, and all 20+ mutation counts no longer limit mutating.   negative counters are specificly used to unlock mutation potential, there's a reason people do this.

Final mix, is just that, you take your best stats, the colors you desire, and you put them altogther.  This process takes many breeding sessions of mating siblings, cousins, parents to child... repeatedly until all stats and colors fall into place, this will result in a mutation count that is high and not reflective of anything other than you added a bunch of #s together repeatedly because of the need to get everything else in place.

I'm sure plenty of people here are able to give you pretty good advice on how to breed, but you may first want to consider why are you doing it, especially on official where breeding dinos will likely take you months if not years depending on how far you want to go.

It's one thing to breed dinos to meet specific needs, like beating bosses. It's an entirely different thing to efficiently min max stat breeding via mutations and chase specific color combinations, which is largely just a hobby that people enjoy doing and not something you actually "need".

On official, things take a looooong time to do. So, unless this is really something you figure you'll enjoy and you're prepared to invest months on that, your best bet may be to ask around and buy decent breeding pairs instead of starting from scratch.

31 minutes ago, Vit0Corleone said:

... especially on official where breeding dinos will likely take you months if not years depending on how far you want to go.

I thought that too but it isn't that long, and if you use an event a boss fight army can be made in a few weeks. Maybe not with Rexes but e.g. Allos or Deinos are growing really fast compared to a rex.

3 minutes ago, Zapha said:

I thought that too but it isn't that long, and if you use an event a boss fight army can be made in a few weeks. Maybe not with Rexes but e.g. Allos or Deinos are growing really fast compared to a rex.

Deinos, sure, I can see that, you don't really need much.

But unless something changed in the last year or so, I seriously doubt it that a normal solo player can tame and breed from scratch a mutated boss army for beating alpha bosses in just a few weeks.

I used the last x3 event to breed level 1 deinos and 30/30 deinos. Short before the event I collected the wild eggs a week long. I was a new breeder, had not much clue and did many things wrong. But after a month I had my army in the fridge and after another month they are now strong enough for beta fights on the Island.

On 8/25/2021 at 10:51 PM, RoyalHoyness said:

Hey everyone! I'm pretty new to this whole official server thing and I am learning a ton of new stuff about the game in particular breeding and mutations. From what I've found out from this, there are "proper" ways to breed, but then some people just keep breeding until they get something that is semi close to what they are wanting, but then the mutations will have stacks in the negatives. My question for everyone would be what is the best way to get started with breeding (in general) as far as level of tamed dinos, mutations (how they work/what they are), and how to breed them effectively and efficiently so I don't spend the rest of my life being a breeder. Please feel free to link me any videos or guides that explain this if that is any easier and I thank you all in advance! -Royal    

Its a pain to get those "super perfect" stats, most people will just do a general mutation and leave it at that....takes less time, gives you enough firepower to deal with allmost everything you got to deal with, and in the end what would you need anything else for? Granted, depending on the dino, you might want other boosted stats such as argies to help with metal runs, but otherwise its just melee and health mutations you going for. 

Typically the easy run is to go out, find some high levels knock them out, and compare the stats you want.....dododex is a good way to figure out if a tame has the points you want in that creature, but steam has some mods to help clarify them easier if you have that option.

Once you get two wilds, breed them to get the good stats, stay away from mutations at this point. You get a male n female with the right stats, then you can try to start working stats, or breed these again to get an equal level pair of breeders, then start working mutations from them. If you get lucky and get twins with equal levels work them instead. Its just a lot easier to spot a mutation if you start with equal level parents.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once you get a set of breeders, just start breeding them to get mutations. Its going to take a lot of time, I was getting an egg a day with my pair on official.
After you get some eggs set back, you can either throw them into the incubator to check for mutations, or you will have to let them hatch out to figure out if any of them have a mutation. Its best to let the egg cook for most of the time, then put them back up in the fridge until a day your ready to pop them cause its either going to end quickly, or starts to suck the life out of you until its a juvee. 

Once the mutated baby is full grown, you have a choice. Either long haul, or short haul. Short haul is simple, take mutation 1 and replace the parent of its sex. Continue on till mutation 2.....keep this going until the max limit of mutations has been reached, boom super dino.

Long haul is to keep the mutations male, mutate until paternal lines are maxed out, then take the maxed out male and breed with lvl 1 females. Only take the babies that have your mutation stats from the male.....repeat the mutation process for the females and boom. super awesome dino

Honestly however, that last method is a master grind. You will spend months, perhaps even a year to get a final product, on official. However if that tame ever dies, gets glitched, or something else, your prolly going to loose your mind. So keep in mind, while it might be an interesting endeavor, it can all be lost, so you might find something more useful to spend your time on. 

In my opinion, a soft mutation is most effective of time and resources....you can deal with the majority of problems, if something happens that you loose it, its a huge blow, but not a mind scramble. Kind of like a  boss fight army.... If you loose a few it sucks, slows things down, but it was a calculated risk that you understood and was slightly mentally prepared for.

9 hours ago, Vit0Corleone said:

Deinos, sure, I can see that, you don't really need much.

But unless something changed in the last year or so, I seriously doubt it that a normal solo player can tame and breed from scratch a mutated boss army for beating alpha bosses in just a few weeks.

I could do a simple theri army in about a month....maybe two if I was particular or if I was getting some bad RNG on the mutations. Good news is with cakes, I don't think Id need but 5 or so mutations to hit the dragon

1 hour ago, wizard03 said:

I could do a simple theri army in about a month....maybe two if I was particular or if I was getting some bad RNG on the mutations. Good news is with cakes, I don't think Id need but 5 or so mutations to hit the dragon

I would be curious to better understand how you think that is even possible.

At the current official rate ( which is what the OP refers to ), it takes you almost 5 days to even fully raise a theri, and usually dealing with a 18-24h mating interval cooldown.

Let's not forget that you need to:

1) Hunt and tame a decent m/f pair to start with

2) Merge stats, breed and raise your final breeding m/f pair

3) Breed and raising potentially dozens of clean females

4) Start going for mutations, raising each mutated, switching genders as needed, etc.

1-3 alone will probably take you a month in itself at official rates, and you haven't even started with mutations at that point.

Even surfing the occasional Evo event, I seriously doubt you would be able to raise a full 5x melee mutation army in 2 months, let alone 1 month.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong thou, if you care to explain your logic.

3 hours ago, Vit0Corleone said:

I'd be happy to be proven wrong thou, if you care to explain your logic.

I spend 12-16 hours a day on the game. o.o

But looking back at my statement, you are more correct I suppose if I was to work at mutations. It would take more time than I stated, but honestly I feel like Id be able to do it in 2-4 months realistically.
1st week, collect 3-5 eggs, pop em all at once, see what I got and if possible, replace parents. Move on to babies and getting them to adults. Would probably squander week 2 on the babies, but hopefully collect another 2-3 eggs before the end of the week. Week 3, collect eggs. Pop em all one at a time to check for mutations. Hopefully would get a mutation 1 out of 4 eggs, but with RNG the big factor, this is where Im at mercy to the system. hopefully week 4 will yield results. Pop egg, raise baby, replace parent of same sex. Wash, rinse, repeat. 2 months if Im lucky, 3 is more likely, 4 if I get hosed on RNG.
After the mutations are met, breed for a solid two weeks and save the eggs up. Pop em all at once, don't forget to cryopod the babies up when your offline, and spend a week or two to raise and imprint for perfection.
Before the final product, kangaroo's can be used to help. But as for the final product, Im not sure if having 20 roo's would be a worth while endeavor or not. Not unless your purposely breeding roo's on the side just for this instance.

The hard part might be getting the saddle however.....I have never had good luck at getting good saddles that don't require insane amounts of ingredients or even just finding them.....Swamp cave can be good, but again, RNG.....that could take months again. x.x

6 hours ago, wizard03 said:

I spend 12-16 hours a day on the game. o.o

But looking back at my statement, you are more correct I suppose if I was to work at mutations. It would take more time than I stated, but honestly I feel like Id be able to do it in 2-4 months realistically.
1st week, collect 3-5 eggs, pop em all at once, see what I got and if possible, replace parents. Move on to babies and getting them to adults. Would probably squander week 2 on the babies, but hopefully collect another 2-3 eggs before the end of the week. Week 3, collect eggs. Pop em all one at a time to check for mutations. Hopefully would get a mutation 1 out of 4 eggs, but with RNG the big factor, this is where Im at mercy to the system. hopefully week 4 will yield results. Pop egg, raise baby, replace parent of same sex. Wash, rinse, repeat. 2 months if Im lucky, 3 is more likely, 4 if I get hosed on RNG.
After the mutations are met, breed for a solid two weeks and save the eggs up. Pop em all at once, don't forget to cryopod the babies up when your offline, and spend a week or two to raise and imprint for perfection.
Before the final product, kangaroo's can be used to help. But as for the final product, Im not sure if having 20 roo's would be a worth while endeavor or not. Not unless your purposely breeding roo's on the side just for this instance.

The hard part might be getting the saddle however.....I have never had good luck at getting good saddles that don't require insane amounts of ingredients or even just finding them.....Swamp cave can be good, but again, RNG.....that could take months again. x.x

12-16 hrs a day on ark? U need to turn off the computer/console and take stock of ur life. I love this game and breeding is all I really do these days but that amount of hrs per day is very unhealthy. 

14 hours ago, Hurebhsdyrgsg said:

12-16 hrs a day on ark? U need to turn off the computer/console and take stock of ur life. I love this game and breeding is all I really do these days but that amount of hrs per day is very unhealthy. 

been this way for 20 years now man. :P original and super nintendo, ps 1 and 2, xbox 360, and one....

Archived