Advice from the old timers

LordKel

So I'm in a conundrum.   I have been progressing through the game on a single player world with some QOL adjustments to the settings.  I have completed the alpha ascension on the island, the boss fights on Rag, scorched earth and crystal isles,  all titans on extinction with the exception of the king titan.  The only major fight left story wise is rockwell, which I am 99% prepared for.  I have yet to purchase the genesis season pass, so can't access that content.

My question is this:  What do I do after Rockwell?  I realize I have some levels to gain after the ascensions,  but what do I do after that?   I dread starting over, but don't want to lose the passion and drive I have for the game.   Any suggestions from those that have played for years?  Not into pvp or even pve on the officials.

2 hours ago, LordKel said:

So I'm in a conundrum.   I have been progressing through the game on a single player world with some QOL adjustments to the settings.  I have completed the alpha ascension on the island, the boss fights on Rag, scorched earth and crystal isles,  all titans on extinction with the exception of the king titan.  The only major fight left story wise is rockwell, which I am 99% prepared for.  I have yet to purchase the genesis season pass, so can't access that content. My question is this:  What do I do after Rockwell?  I realize I have some levels to gain after the ascensions,  but what do I do after that?   I dread starting over, but don't want to lose the passion and drive I have for the game.   Any suggestions from those that have played for years?  Not into pvp or even pve on the officials.

I have to admit, I hit that wall myself, even tho I probably just a bob compared to you....best advice I got is to start a new account, and try a new run through. But maybe give yourself some extra challenges.

Only limit your engrams to primitive and hit supply drops for anything else, attempt to do it with only one life, a lot of people believe that no fliers should be an option.

Honestly we just started crystal isles up as fresh lvl 1 bobs instead of transferring, man there is a heck of a difference instead of just transferring. Took us a whole day just to get a bed down XD With that said, our settings is just default single player. No cheeky x 4 harvesting or what not, so its probably why we struggled so much, but still on default single player it was pretty hard! But very satisfactory when we finally tamed a max lvl stego.

20 hours ago, LordKel said:

So I'm in a conundrum.   I have been progressing through the game on a single player world with some QOL adjustments to the settings.  I have completed the alpha ascension on the island, the boss fights on Rag, scorched earth and crystal isles,  all titans on extinction with the exception of the king titan.  The only major fight left story wise is rockwell, which I am 99% prepared for.  I have yet to purchase the genesis season pass, so can't access that content.

My question is this:  What do I do after Rockwell?  I realize I have some levels to gain after the ascensions,  but what do I do after that?   I dread starting over, but don't want to lose the passion and drive I have for the game.   Any suggestions from those that have played for years?  Not into pvp or even pve on the officials.

Quit. Play something new. 

3 hours ago, Ganelon said:

Quit. Play something new. 

TBH I am close to this point too. On official PvE I have done alpha island bosses/alpha aberration/alpha valguero/alpha ragnarok, only done beta gen1 & gen2. Havent done extinction bosses as they dont give anything I dont already have except a skin and badge. I only have the tame a voidwyrm note to do on gen2 and I think ill have the +10 max levels thing unless it requires them from all maps.

With my beginning goal a few years ago being to do all the bosses on alpha on official, I am nearing that end. I am pretty sure I can knock out alpha gen2 in the near future, been stuck on alpha star dolphin for a few days but I am progressing there and almost got to the face last night. After that mission and team downriver run on alpha I only have some of the easier ones to do. Going back to do enough gen1 missions to do alpha MC is not something I am looking forward to so I might just be done with ark pretty soon and I can finally move on feeling fulfilled.

48 minutes ago, Piffguru said:

TBH I am close to this point too. ... Going back to do enough gen1 missions to do alpha MC is not something I am looking forward to so I might just be done with ark pretty soon and I can finally move on feeling fulfilled.

All games come to an end. We do ourselves a disservice in fighting that. We never get to see what's next for us if we labor to not let go of the game we no longer have the best time in. There is ALWAYS something better and more engaging for our time than ho-hum mediocre login to refresh.

On 8/22/2021 at 10:12 AM, LordKel said:

You have to decide what's fun for you, no one else can tell you what you will find fun.

Examples:

1) Do another play through using "No Flyers" on any server.

2) Do another play through using "No Tek" on any server.

3) Do another play through doing all of the maps in order, even the free DLC maps.

4) Do another play through but start a fresh character on each map. so you can't take advantage of resources & tames that are found on other maps. Doing Scorched Earth with only the animal found on SE is different from doing SE with non-native species that you've imported.

Do any of these sound fun to you? If so then give them a shot, if not then see if you can think of something that sounds fun to you and do that instead.

I appreciate all the responses but I feel my point wasn't fully explained.   I am simply asking what the long time players do to stay invested in the game,  not for someone to tell me what's fun.  Starting over and inflicting restrictions are always an option, but I personally don't feel like starting over.    Seems like building Is the way to go after completing the boss fights.

5 minutes ago, LordKel said:

I appreciate all the responses but I feel my point wasn't fully explained.   I am simply asking what the long time players do to stay invested in the game,  not for someone to tell me what's fun.  Starting over and inflicting restrictions are always an option, but I personally don't feel like starting over.    Seems like building Is the way to go after completing the boss fights.

The goal of truly beating all the bosses.  The thrill of completing all the Gen1 and Gen2 missions.  Finally getting that amazing base built.  The sweet allure of a perfected bred battle-Trike.  There are a lot of things that keep people invested in playing!  I'm not talking about just "fun" activities, but long-term goals.  If you have no more goals to compel you to log in, then as stated by @Ganelon, it might be time to at the least, take a break, and at most, wave goodbye to ARK.

That can be problematic though.  I have over 9K hours, and quitting honestly takes a toll on you... At least it did for me.  It wasn't super-dramatic, but it felt a few times like I CAN'T quit because over the 5 years I was really active, it became a gaming habit.  I had so many things on my list to accomplish, and earlier this year, I more-or-less finished that list.  I solo'ed some encounters.  I cave'd like there was no cave'morrow.  I built an intricate base in the desert crevice area of Ragnarok.  I bred so many damn dinosaurs.  Explored just about every area of every map, on foot.  Stole Rock Drake eggs and climbing-picked the whole way out of the rad-zone.  So I started playing other games.

1 hour ago, LordKel said:

People that keep playing on the same save/server/official after have done it all, it's usual driven by a few things, such as breeding, collecting dinos and building cool bases.

Chasing that perfect colors or perfect stats, is a hobby by itself for people that enjoy it and it's something you can do for months and years if it's your thing. This serves no practical purpose, it's just something a lot of people enjoy doing.

You also have the social aspect that keeps people playing, but that seems to be outside of your scope.

Other than that, you can always take a break and wait for a new map to be released.

If you play via Steam, I'd highly recommend exploring Fjordur while we wait for Lost Island new map being released later this year.

If you haven't played Gen1/Gen2 yet, that's certainly an option worth looking at. Just make sure to do some research first, as it's a somewhat radical departure from the game play style you're probably used to, which may or may not be to your liking.

Lastly, just wanted to mention that I've been on that position myself in the past. Having played over 1 year on official PvE, I was very reluctant to do a new start over playthrough, just as you are. I was wrong, I'm currently on my 3rd playthrough and having a blast with a no-tek no-flyers run. It's like playing the same game, but a different game at the same time.

3 hours ago, LordKel said:

I appreciate all the responses but I feel my point wasn't fully explained.   I am simply asking what the long time players do to stay invested in the game

And that's what people have given you, answers for multiple methods that people have used to stay invested in the game. It's not like there's a single answer to that question, there are many answers. Some of them will apply to you, some won't.

not for someone to tell me what's fun.

And yet you responded by saying that certain things don't look fun to you, which is exactly why no one can tell you "What do I do after Rockwell?" There are lots of things to do after Rockwell, you have to decide which of those things sound fun to you.

Starting over and inflicting restrictions are always an option, but I personally don't feel like starting over.

So starting over isn't fun for you, which is why no one else can answer your question for you. What do you do after Rockwell? Whatever you can think of that sounds fun to you, not what other people have done.

Seems like building Is the way to go after completing the boss fights.

Sounds like you've figured out the answer that works for you, have fun and happy ARK'ing.

On 8/24/2021 at 10:11 AM, LordKel said:

I am simply asking what the long time players do to stay invested in the gam

Son I play mind numbingly repetitive/grindy games like warframe and monster hunter. It'll be another few years before ark could even begin to try and bore a guy like me out of being invested in whatever I choose to do. If you aren't the type to spend disgusting amounts of time on things then ark isn't really the kind of game you want to stick to past the story.

Archived