Allow background audio

soepie7

Suggestion

6 replies to this server topic

7 hours ago, soepie7 said:

So other UE4-4.5 games can switch audio source?

A quick search found Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Fortnite, SW Jedi: Fallen Order, Sea of Thieves, Borderlands 3, Gears of War 5, FFVII Remake, and Conan Exiles all use UE4 (or some iteration, it wasn't specific).  Sadly I don't own the games so I can't test it!  But from such a list I just imagine, what are the odds that none of these double-A to triple-A titles can dynamically switch audio source?

A search for Fortnite reveals that sometime in 2019 it used to have a similar problem, but is stated in the YouTube page to be fixed.  Searching Borderlands 3 brings up nothing on the specific topic.  Searching ARK, in the first 5 results are the issue I'm talking about.  All I'm saying is, it's solvable!

37 minutes ago, soepie7 said:

Background audio is where the game is in the background but continues to play sound. Ark cannot do this, but this setting in the Ark DevKit shows that the engine is capable of it. Can we have this as a client option?

Honestly the sound configuration for ARK has always bewildered me.  I haven't been playing Gen2, but it always struck me as fantastically weird that after all this time the game still would POOF its audio if you plugged in a headset while playing (meaning, it doesn't dynamically switch audio sources).

EDIT:  I mean to say, that has to also be an engine-level tweak as well, and in general I could get behind a spit-polish of ARK's engine-level audio setup!

27 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

Honestly the sound configuration for ARK has always bewildered me.  I haven't been playing Gen2, but it always struck me as fantastically weird that after all this time the game still would POOF its audio if you plugged in a headset while playing (meaning, it doesn't dynamically switch audio sources).

EDIT:  I mean to say, that has to also be an engine-level tweak as well, and in general I could get behind a spit-polish of ARK's engine-level audio setup!

It's not just Ark that has that, the editor has that problem too. With Minecraft, to fix the audio source you have to do F3+T, which reloads all resources. However, it is not true that it is just a thing for bigger games, because on the other hand, Monster Hunter World dynamically alters the audio source when needed. I can imagine though that this is just a flaw of the Unreal Engine that Ark uses.

4 hours ago, soepie7 said:

It's not just Ark that has that, the editor has that problem too. With Minecraft, to fix the audio source you have to do F3+T, which reloads all resources. However, it is not true that it is just a thing for bigger games, because on the other hand, Monster Hunter World dynamically alters the audio source when needed. I can imagine though that this is just a flaw of the Unreal Engine that Ark uses.

Aaah.  Well with so many other UE4-4.5 games available, I've only seen it with ARK, but what you say makes sense!

Archived