Why is there a max slots

JensDl

11 hours ago, JensDl said:

Why is there a max slot limit in ark, you can level weight to carry more items so isn't it weird that there is a max slot limit for player inventory or Dino inventory 

not really.....Iv noticed that every time I deal with an inventory that is loaded, the games starts to get sluggish pretty badly. Especially the tek fab....Every time I open it up, its like the game just stops, process what I just did, everything in the fab, the spoiler timer on anything, and then continues on. In fact, inventory management in split screen mode is nearly impossible. The game weirds out hard anytime there is two people on the same machine attempting to do transfer goods and such.

Because of this, Id be extremely suspect that if you and a split screen player was loaded full of whatever you had, it would eventually cause the game to crash. Perhaps even a server. And they decided to slot cap to prevent that from happening.

9 hours ago, JensDl said:

thank you i also have noticed this happens when there are a lot of items in my inventory and i try to transfer it. There comes a massive FPS drop with it.

Sadly Im not a programmer, or a coder. If I was, I would try to fix this and see if I could sell wildcard the optimized version. Might not make a retirements worth off of it, but with ark 2 in the rabbit hole and a clean slate, Im sure they would at least humor me a bit.

But yeah, if there was any one area in need of optimization, inventory management is a big one that could use a poke or two.

14 hours ago, Noa said:

Probably depend on database used or software doing it.

Cant think how bad would be for banks or stock exchange to work with such item number caps  and they don't have just 60k players but millions of users.

Limit is obviously due performance reasons. It can be limit by engine used, by method of using it, by incompetence of develeopers... but I guess the first reason is true.

Do you want in real time game wait like bank workers do? 😉

2 hours ago, Graviphoton said:

Limit is obviously due performance reasons. It can be limit by engine used, by method of using it, by incompetence of develeopers... but I guess the first reason is true.

In New York Stock Exchange every fraction of second is important. Message like "you cant invest/buy this shares because  you reached your inventory (account) limit" is not acceptable.

Foer bank you describe access of bank worker to my inventory what would be predicable by numbers of users an bank have (millions) but not  some banal reason like you cant buy this currency (USD or EUR) to pay international invoice because your account reached item cap or you cant make this bill payment recurring as you have already inventory full of bills ...

Software performance is one thing but need to be  helped with good computers and servers which are for sure not from stone age.

23 hours ago, Noa said:

Probably depend on database used or software doing it.

Cant think how bad would be for banks or stock exchange to work with such item number caps  and they don't have just 60k players but millions of users.

true, but in their defence, they have literally the worlds economy at its fingertips. Hence why many small key bank are part of bigger banks, as they use their networking to move numbers around. And that in itself isn't too hard to compute compared to the many different computes needed for each item.....Spoil timers, varies degree's of items, each item stack, each item graphical, eggs with pre determined states that the baby will carry, any tames that are out or in cryo storage.......In the banking world, it literally is just math, and while ark is just a prettier version of math, it includes a lot more independent maths at the exact same time.

As for the stock exchange, I wish we could borrow just one of those servers to test how a multi trillion dollar server would compare to wildcards {probably} couple hundred dollar server. XD

9 hours ago, Graviphoton said:

OMG I didn't even think of that. 😮 Nuuuuuuu nu nu......nope, nah eh....Hail no!

Archived