Cant get ark to use more than +-3 cores on 3900x

Hydragon1

Hi,

I am noticing Ark only using a total of about 3 fully utilized cores on my Ryzen 9 3900x, 2 of which are always at 90-100% use and another 2 which are at 30% and 50-75% usage.

I am thinking this is the reason why my RTX 3080 fluctuating in usage alot, while flying in gen2 on an astrodelphis it would dip often from about 80% usage to 50% or lower for a just a small moment.

As a regular rule it seems the 3080 is used about 90% when i am at my base but when flying it would be used a lot less, usually about 70 to 50% which i find very strange.

This seems to cause a lot of stuttering when flying aswell because of the fluctuating usage of the gpu with common dips to 30% for example.

I dont know what i can do, i feel like i have tried everything, i am running -high and -useallavailablecores on startup setting of ark and i am using process lasso to tie Ark to cores 0,2,4,6,8 and 10 (which effectively disables smt, i have tried using cores 0-11, so with smt, but that doesnt help either).

I am also running high performance on nvidia control panel and 1usmus power plan for the cpu, i have disabled windows 10 game mode and i am running windows 10 gpu hardware acceleration.

I am at a loss as to what else i can do but it is annoying me because of the constant frame drops.

I am attaching a screenshot of windows task manager so you can see the fluctuations in the usage of both cpu and gpu, it is in dutch so i am sorry about that.

Any help is welcome!

1315248811_arkcpuusage.png.ccdd2d8515d838604d0042fcf2c55a0a.png

Bad news, Im a console player. Im stuck on more or less fancy mobile hardware.....with that said, its gotten worse on my end as well. Nothing is running smoothly, I am crashing constantly, and while my hardware may not pack a punch like yours does, it is at least consistant everytime I fire it up. And right now, it is acting much worse since the launch of gen 2.
So while I am implying that something has gotten worse, its the only thing i can tell you about ark. =/

Yea they might have tried something which backfired of something. Like i said, Extinction is known to be very well optimized as far as ark goes but i went on my Extinction server to try if there is a difference there and there is not, exactly the same. Really hope that whatever changed, is undone at some time because this just sucks.

Sounds like you are thinking if you have 6 cores all the calculating could be distributed equally to the 6 cores. That's basically not possible because e.g. c=a+b and x=c+y can't be calculated at the same time from two cores. One have to wait for the result of the other core.

Paralellization of gaming code has limits which can't be broke through with more cores. In practice this means mostly 2 cores are doing the game code while a third can maybe do all the UI calculations or other mostly independent calculations.

There are very few applications where the load can really equally distributed to all cores, e.g. vieo editing ... but not games.

13 hours ago, Zapha said:

That's basically not possible because e.g. c=a+b and x=c+y can't be calculated at the same time from two cores. One have to wait for the result of the other core.

It's entirely possible, many programs do it quite well. It just depends on how good the game maker is at including multi-core support in their game. At a fundamental level game software is just like any other software, either it does a good job of supporting "x feature" or it doesn't. There are other games that do this quite well.

Having said that, there are also plenty of other games that don't do this well, it's not like this is unique to ARK or even unusual. For that matter there are lots of non-game programs that do a bad job of multi-core support. I'm not bashing on ARK for this.

I'm only trying to make sure you understand that the logic of "One have to wait for the result of the other core" is an example of developers doing a bad job of multi-core support. When you architect a program for multi-core one of the goals is to specifically avoid situations in which one core has to wait for the result of the other core. If someone writes multi-core software in which that situation happens then they're not doing it right.

9 hours ago, Hydragon1 said:

There are numerous games i play that will use multiple cores which equal distribution between them, it seems ark is the exception in this regard. Most likely the ancient game engine which is not optimized for cpus with more than 4 cores (or, as it seems to be for ark, for even less than that. 

I'm going to guess that most of those are newer games, or they're games that regularly get re-architected to keep up with the current state-of-the-art (which ARK has not).

I'm probably about to tell you things you already know so if I'm "mansplaining" to you then I apologize in advance, it's just that it's hard to have this conversation without making sure we cover the basics.

For example, from what I've read FarCry 5 is a game that supports multi-core quite well. I've seen multiple shots people have taken of FarCry 5 running evenly on 4, 6, 8 cores... but I haven't seen similar analyses of FarCry 1-4, which (as far as I know) only supported single or dual-core. For that matter, I don't know many threads FarCry 5 will support, I'd be surprised if it ran evenly on all cores/threads of the most recent Ryzen CPU's. PUBG supports multi-core quite well, but as far as I know it will only use 10 threads, so even it would never fully utilize your CPU.

ARK is based on the UE4 engine and I couldn't tell you what maximum thread count is possible even when you enable multi-core support, but I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is something low, like maybe only 4, since UE4 was first being designed and written when single- and dual-core were the norm. UE4 started development in 2003 and was unveiled in 2012, when quad-core CPU's were still a tiny portion of the consumer market. I would like to assume that UE4 was upgraded to 8 threads at some point, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's still limited to 4.

Even if UE4 was upgraded to support more than 4 threads that doesn't mean a game can automatically support that feature, it takes some pretty careful planning and good coding (which means time & money) to re-architect a program to use additional cores when they become available.

All in all, I strongly suspect that the utilization you're seeing is as good as it's ever going to get with ARK. I'm betting that they're going to do a better job of multi-core support with ARK 2, but for this game I think you're seeing the final result and getting as good as you're going to get.

Yea i think you are right, also wildcard modified ue4 for ark (heavily i believe) which apparently makes updating it even harder. They said they basically need to remake the game completely to update ue4 so it supports multicore.

The thing i dont get, and as became apparent in this thread, i am not the only one is why it became so much worse after gen 2, game wide aswell. On multiple ark dlcs i tried, they all have this annoying microstutter problem, and at least for Extinction, i know it wasnt nearly as bad before as it is currently. Cant say i remember it being this bad on gen1 either. 

My understanding and recollection is that it was an old ue4 that they modified so much that they couldn't update to later versions. And.. that version or the way they used it wasn't suitable for more than two cores. The third core utilisation is probably the OS and other background tasks. I think early fortnite versions where similar.

Hopefully ark2 will fix those issues.

On 8/12/2021 at 8:35 PM, Ganelon said:

Hey, this may not be a thing for others, but the ARK client was much less stable for me when run with all cores. 

Yea after trying -useallavailablecores and seeing it didn't make a difference i took it away again as i read about what you are saying before. Running only -high as startup option now

Hmmm - core usage aside = The point here is that "stuff used to work ok", but then "Gen 2 released and all maps - and it looks like all platforms exhibited stutter"

So Gen 2 release changed something that is used across all the maps that causes a stutter - likely some texture was altered and that is whats causing issues.

On 8/20/2021 at 5:26 PM, DirkInSA said:

Hmmm - core usage aside = The point here is that "stuff used to work ok", but then "Gen 2 released and all maps - and it looks like all platforms exhibited stutter"

So Gen 2 release changed something that is used across all the maps that causes a stutter - likely some texture was altered and that is whats causing issues.

So, if thats the case, not something i can fix? 

Archived