Why can’t we just get along

Realcheese

Since dinopithecus was announced as the new creature coming to ark there has been so much negativity and conflict between all of us some people just being completely ridiculous acting like a four year old who didn’t get the toy they want honestly everyone just calm down it’s not fun posting a comment on a YouTube video or the dossier photo on Instagram then being attacked for saying you like this idea just chill everyone so I’m asking can we just be civilised 

Unfortunately, no matter which creature ended up winning the vote, there would still be people getting angry about it. It just isn’t something that can be avoided. The best thing to do is look forward to the fact that we’re getting 3 new creatures and a map for free, that’s pretty cool.

While I voted for the Yi-qi, I’m still very excited about getting the dinopithicus. Really I would’ve honestly been happy with any of the final candidates (shoulder pets included).

24 minutes ago, maxplanck58 said:

I haven't seen any of the toxicity.  I guess I don't prowl in the wrong places on the internet.

It seems to be on twitter, primarily. I only read the unhappy comments there because, for whatever reason, I sort of find it a little entertaining how upset some people seem to be over the results. 

Our brains did not evolve to meaningfully process communication from people divorced from our Dunbar Number.  In essence, people outside our number circle are only meaningfully REAL to us if we imagine them to be. You, your family, your street, your town, your country... the farther away from you the less those people are REAL in terms of meaningful impact. They stop being real to us the moment we move on from them. So all the emotional reactions... happiness, sadness, anger, love, hate, etc... only exist tangentially. They are a choice.

Here's a self run thought experiement. Remember the news story of the toddler that drown escaping from Syria? Remember the picture? Remember how horrifying it was to take in? Then the next day... the weight of that just went poof. And it is very unlikely that you gave any thought of that since I just brought it up. Yet, it is unarguably an impactful event that touches the core of our human empathy. Why were most not forever traumatized by it, so that our lives were changed?

Dunbar's Number. It was only meaningfully REAL to us when we imaged a connection to our own Number, and the moment we stopped... it drifted. And it is GOOD that it drifted, because we could not live and function with the billions of trauma events we receive via all forms of media. 

So...

Every person is finite and has a limited number of f***s to give. Mindfulness requires being selective of people you can give a f*** to. You will find that your f***s are better spent where they can effect the outcome to you and those in your Dunbar Circle.

It's a video game.

It's a feature.

These are far far far away from my Dunbar Circle. I budget my f***s accordingly.

Archived