Jump to content

Community Crunch 278: Introducing Dinopithecus, Beginner Server Wipe, and More!


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, xackbelle said:

I think the reason we aren't seeing eye to eye here is because you seem to be playing the game with a completely different mentality than I am. You said: 

In my view, this mentality has the potential to reduce the appeal of nearly every creature of the game. You're saying it's not worth taming TO YOU. But to me, it's still worth taming. Abilities are going to overlap over time, but the dinos and creatures in ark are all still unique in their own right. I don't sit around going "why would I tame a ice wyvern when their breath attack is objectively less useful than a lightning or fire wyvern?" They may have similarities in their abilities, but the creatures themselves are very different. The ice and poison wyverns look cool, and are fun to use, therefore I want to use them. I don't care if there is a "stronger and better option," I'm going to play the game in the way that is most fun for me. Like you won't catch me going "oh no an iguanodon is faster and can carry a bit more than a parasaur, so I guess im done taming parasaurs." If a dino looks cool, and has fun abilities, then I don't care if it overlaps with another dino. To me, the idea of a budget Ferox that can throw grenades instead of boulders is genuinely really fun. I am more interested in the creature as a whole, rather than how "useful" or "unique" it's abilities are. Sure shadowmanes are strong, and they may be a hodgepodge of several creatures mixed into one, but more importantly, they're insanely cool. I use deinonyschus AND thylas, because they're both fun to use. I don't stop using another dino simply because another one is more useful or more meta. And so im not going to stop using a thyla or a deinonychus once the baboon comes out, because I want all of them. If you don't want to use it because you don't want it to "replace" your other dinos, then that's on you. Me? Imma be swinging through the trees throwin poop at sarcos while being happy as heck! 

The other thing you aren't considering, is that dedicating one or two unique abilities per dino but then not reusing those abilities again later for other new dinos can potentially leave the game feeling stagnant.  Like, if I want a dino that can do a fear roar, I only have 2 options between the rex and yuty. What's wrong with wanting extra options between my mounts? Everything is going to have a niche anyways, since no dino is EXACTLY the same, and that leaves certain dinos completely useless when compared to others no matter what you do. So me personally, I enjoy visual diversity in my game and having only 2 or 3 dinos that climb? To me THAT is what's boring and, in your words, "makes the variety worse or makes creatures people really like not a necessity". I want TONS of climbing dinos, even if they're relatively the same at the end of the day. 

Just remember, everything in ARK is going to have a niche anyways, since no dino is EXACTLY the same. None of the climbing mounts are arguably the "best" if you were to ask me, becasue each fills very different purposes.

-I have a climbing mount that can be fairly tanky and can bleed enemies like crazy, while also staying hidden in the trees where I can pounce on prey : the thyla

-I have a small and nimble pack hunting climbing mount that can jump onto the back of larger dinos and takes no fall damage : deinonyschus

-I have a cute little fuzzball that I can carry on my shoulder until I feed it element, where it then becomes a powerhouse of a climbing mount that can then throw giant boulders from afar: ferox

-And now I will have a mid sized pack hunting climbing mount that can throw grenades and disable tek: dinopithecus

 

You can try and come up excuses such as "well this dino is bad because another dino does it better" all day, but I'm sorry, I just don't think any of these are going to replace any of the others. They all have their own unique uses and if you think the baboon is going to make others useless, or that it by itself will be useless, I just think you lack creativity. 

People can tame what they want, but there's a meta, and people do replace other dinos when new and better ones are released. I've never seen anyone talk about the Spino since Shadowmane came out. Yes, every creature has their own niche, but it's not hard to remove at least part of that niche when a new dino gets the same ability. For example, Megalania isn't downright useless and can still do things others can't, but once a player has access to a Rock Drake, their Megalania becomes much less useful when you have access to a better option. Of course that Megalania can still be used, but it won't benefit you as much when compared to a Rock Drake. The case with Dinopithecus is a bit different though. Ferox can be used for both power and mobility, but requires element to be used. Dinopithecus comes out, and it's more mobile than Ferox and doesn't require element. You have both of these creatures, and both are still useful, but one does a specific job better than the other, therefore your Ferox won't be used as much, since one of its niches have been replaced. Both are still usable, and you may like the Ferox more, but Dinopithecus will benefit you more in terms of transportation. People can play the game how they feel, and almost every dino has a scenario where they can best be used, but niches can be stolen by other creatures, like the Rock Drake did to Megalania. Now Megalania is your midgame free climber, but Rock Drake is the stronger, lategame dlc climber, and therefore will be used more once you have access to both. There's also nothing wrong with loads of climbing dinos if they all are unique in a different way, but the fastest climber would be the creature you would use specifically for climbing. The Thyla can still climb, but that wouldn't be the main reason they tame it if they have the best possible climber. Maybe they need a small enough cave mount that can take out large groups on enemies, in which case that best climber wouldn't be as useful for. 

 

So every creature isn't useless, but once you have access to all creatures, some will be used more than others because they do a specific job better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And this is why you don't vote for a creature because of its concept, non-official abilities. Good job everyone! Coulda had carcharo or livyatan, but we got a Thyla with extra abilities.   

It would be great fan service to add Carcharo as the third and final lost island creature, especially coming in as a photo finish 2nd place. Seeing how creative they were with the Amarga and monkey ab

Absolutel trash. It dosent surprise me the Ark community would vote for the dumbest dino on the list. 

On 7/31/2021 at 3:33 AM, Vaiav said:

Before you release anything new what about you fix your crap that you call genesis 2 ?

Before wasting more resources on Gen2, why not fix first everything that got broken from Gen2?

Oh, wait... That only concerns people not throwing more money at them for brokren DLC.

  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just can't understand why people are so upset we didn't get yet another theropod. We have so many. Giganotosaurus, Tyrannosaurs, Allosaurus, Yutyrranus, Carnotaurus, Megalosaurus. And those are just the big ones. Why do we need more of the same?

Unfortunately, I missed the final vote and the top ten list isn't loading for me, but I wouldn't have voted for another theropod. I AM sorry people are disappointed and I hope y'all get to see the carcharodontosaurus in Ark 2. I'd enjoy seeing a new set of theropods in it instead of the ones we already have.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Xoloitzcuintli said:

I just can't understand why people are so upset we didn't get yet another theropod. We have so many. Giganotosaurus, Tyrannosaurs, Allosaurus, Yutyrranus, Carnotaurus, Megalosaurus. And those are just the big ones. Why do we need more of the same?

Unfortunately, I missed the final vote and the top ten list isn't loading for me, but I wouldn't have voted for another theropod. I AM sorry people are disappointed and I hope y'all get to see the carcharodontosaurus in Ark 2. I'd enjoy seeing a new set of theropods in it instead of the ones we already have.

Giga is not that usable in PvE, Rex is very generic and has no special abilities, Yuty is bad in combat, Carno is replaceable by Allo, and Allo is replacable by Rex. 

  • Facepalm 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, xackbelle said:

Bro are you brand new to the game? Are you gonna also complain about how yutyrannus can buff its allies because "the dino couldn't do that in real life" or because it's "unrealistic and ridiculous, created only to add some strange change in the meta"? Are you gonna say that the Tropeognathus wouldn't have been able to survive having a jet engine on its back? Are you gonna complain about how the rex is way bigger in ARK than it was in real life? You're complaining about realism and believability in a game with dragons and lion fish-lions dude. Chill. The only thing dissapointing here is how unrealistic you let your expectations become. Team baboon HYPE for life. 

YYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSS! I knew I was not the only one that says lion fish lion, Rockwell, where did you get the name shadowmane? (I know the crew probably named it shadowmane. But when has that stoped Rockwell?)

Edited by Compyking
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Compyking said:

YYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSS! I knew I was not the only one that says lion fish lion, Rockwell, where did you get the name shadowmane? (I know the crew probably named it shadowmane. But when has that stoped Rockwell?)

Actually it was HLN-A that came up with the name Shadowmane, she did the same for noglins 

Link to post
Share on other sites

To all the people saying that the Carcharodontosaurus would have been better then the Dinopithecus, I have a serious question for you. How would it be better? If it was better then the rex, then people would stop using rexs, if it was worse then the rex no one would use it, so other then being another large carnivore, with maybe a bleed (hello Allos & Carnos) how would it be better? Because as we saw with the Dinopithecus, wildcard wouldn't have given it the abilities suggested & it likely would have just ended up as another dino for meat runs.

 

What I'm saying is, if it's better then a rex it would have just taken the rex's place, if it's worse then it ends up in the same place as the other large carnivores. If it's worse then a giga people are still just going to tame a giga, that wouldn't change.

Edited by TheTwistedKeeper
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2021 at 8:29 PM, HolyPoly1026 said:

And this is why you don't vote for a creature because of its concept, non-official abilities. Good job everyone! Coulda had carcharo or livyatan, but we got a Thyla with extra abilities. 

 

Edit: My opinion on the creature has changed quite a bit since it was first announced, I have a full summary about it here on this topic. 

So the 10th version of a rex or another useless water creature. LMFAO

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TheTwistedKeeper said:

To all the people saying that the Carcharodontosaurus would have been better then the Dinopithecus, I have a serious question for you. How would it be better? If it was better then the rex, then people would stop using rexs, if it was worse then the rex no one would use it, so other then being another large carnivore, with maybe a bleed (hello Allos & Carnos) how would it be better? Because as we saw with the Dinopithecus, wildcard wouldn't have given it the abilities suggested & it likely would have just ended up as another dino for meat runs.

 

What I'm saying is, if it's better then a rex it would have just taken the rex's place, if it's worse then it ends up in the same place as the other large carnivores. If it's worse then a giga people are still just going to tame a giga, that wouldn't change.

You just described how I don't want carcharo to be made if added. They should just make it on par with Rex, Spino, and Yuty in terms of stats, but with different abilities. Bleed would be fine for carcharo since the current bleeders are much weaker and need a tlc anyways, and you can change the bleed effect quite a bit than what the normal bleed does. The standard bleed effect reduces 5% of a target's health overtime, but the Deinonychus bleed is different. If we have a creature with a different bleed from the normal one, it would be more unique and wouldn't make a bigger allo. 

 

If they made carcharo in between Rex and Giga, it'd be useless. It would be too strong for boss fights unlike the Rex, and would just be weaker than a Giga. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, TyranntX said:

Literally everything if its levels are high enough… unofficials matter too you know.

Not talking about rediculously boosted servers where is doesn't matter what you tame. Even then a rex would still be stronger unless the server modifies the base creature stats, which aren't the official base stats and are completely unreasonable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HolyPoly1026 said:

You just described how I don't want carcharo to be made if added. They should just make it on par with Rex, Spino, and Yuty in terms of stats, but with different abilities. Bleed would be fine for carcharo since the current bleeders are much weaker and need a tlc anyways, and you can change the bleed effect quite a bit than what the normal bleed does. The standard bleed effect reduces 5% of a target's health overtime, but the Deinonychus bleed is different. If we have a creature with a different bleed from the normal one, it would be more unique and wouldn't make a bigger allo. 

 

If they made carcharo in between Rex and Giga, it'd be useless. It would be too strong for boss fights unlike the Rex, and would just be weaker than a Giga. 

Just my idea but if you´d give it kind of a rivalry buff or bleed immunity, it´d be a nice addition to fend off wild gigas or be used in Boss fights. but there´s a lot of possibilities if one has the goal to find something to make it unique or useful. 
Even if it had the habit to attack even other carnivores that would be something unique.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Vaskur said:

Just my idea but if you´d give it kind of a rivalry buff or bleed immunity, it´d be a nice addition to fend off wild gigas or be used in Boss fights. but there´s a lot of possibilities if one has the goal to find something to make it unique or useful. 
Even if it had the habit to attack even other carnivores that would be something unique.

My idea was making carcharo an anti-tank and a boss fighter, ripping large chunks out of large creatures to eat them alive, healing carcharo and bleeding out the foe. This ability could work on smaller creatures as a grab similar the the Megalo, but working on larger creatures, probably the same creatures as the crab but including flyers. Also a roar that stuns and deafens foes. Maybe even a tail swipe or stomp to attack foes from behind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HolyPoly1026 said:

Not talking about rediculously boosted servers where is doesn't matter what you tame. Even then a rex would still be stronger unless the server modifies the base creature stats, which aren't the official base stats and are completely unreasonable. 

 Unofficial servers are where people usually play anyway. Unless you are a problem child who plays official… which if true you should be ashamed you were even born never mind endorse the cancerous behavior commonly found there.

the point is, any creature can be powerful. It’s about NUMBERS not stats.

Edited by TyranntX
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, HolyPoly1026 said:

My idea was making carcharo an anti-tank and a boss fighter, ripping large chunks out of large creatures to eat them alive, healing carcharo and bleeding out the foe. This ability could work on smaller creatures as a grab similar the the Megalo, but working on larger creatures, probably the same creatures as the crab but including flyers. Also a roar that stuns and deafens foes. Maybe even a tail swipe or stomp to attack foes from behind. 

That’d be broken af. Not even WC would add something THAT game breaking.

Edited by TyranntX
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...