Community Crunch 278: Introducing Dinopithecus, Beginner Server Wipe, and More!

StudioWildcard

Again, let's be honest. most people only voted for the baboon because they are immature users who think monkey memes are funny (and they aren't). While a smaller percentage of them voted for it because of Name Recognition from the OP (which is unfair since they are a famous ARK YouTuber). That said however, what WC is bringing to the table is sort of cool. Sure it panders to the poisonous PvP crowd, and it's yet another tool to bully players for petty reasons, and it will likely be outclassed by Mr. High Level Yuty and his band of bigger monkeys (or something better at fighting). BUUUUUUT, the new map is A JUNGLE so it kinda makes sense to add some exotic fauna to The Lost Island (I mean Monkeys and Jungles do go hand in hand.) Let's also not forget that we still have Amargasaurus AND a mystery animal... so if you don't like the monkey no one is forcing you to tame one (and you probably will anyway because ARK)

Is it Stupid? YES! oh god YES, it's amazingly stupid and I'll never say otherwise. But this is a game with unicorns, Gryphons, Wyverns, A giga that's only bigger than T-rex to make the giga fans shut up (it was actually smaller, dumber, and weaker than T-rex), Glow-In-The-Dark dinosaurs, Alien knock-offs the size of a house, Tameable Spiders (two kinds even), A Manticore and a Dragon as bosses, Liopluradons that are about as magical as can of soup and only exist because of a meme that's been dead LONG before this game even launched, A Dodo wyvern/rex hybrid which leads an army of zombie creatures, and all sorts of strange amalgamations curtesy of an English man with a god complex. I think AN EXTINCT MONKEY is pretty normal in comparison.

Edited by TyranntX
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, TyranntX said:

Again, let's be honest. most people only voted for the baboon because they are immature users who think monkey memes are funny (and they aren't). While a smaller percentage of them voted for it because of Name Recognition from the OP (which is unfair since they are a famous ARK YouTuber). That said however, what WC is bringing to the table is sort of cool. Sure it panders to the poisonous PvP crowd, and it's yet another tool to bully players for petty reasons, and it will likely be outclassed by Mr. High Level Yuty and his band of bigger monkeys (or something better at fighting). BUUUUUUT, the new map is A JUNGLE so it kinda makes sense to add some exotic fauna to The Lost Island (I mean Monkeys and Jungles do go hand in hand.) Let's also not forget that we still have Amargasaurus AND a mystery animal... so if you don't like the monkey no one is forcing you to tame one (and you probably will anyway because ARK)

Is it Stupid? YES! oh god YES, it's amazingly stupid and I'll never say otherwise. But this is a game with unicorns, Gryphons, Wyverns, A giga that's only bigger than T-rex to make the giga fans shut up (it was actually smaller, dumber, and weaker than T-rex), Glow-In-The-Dark dinosaurs, Alien knock-offs the size of a house, Tameable Spiders (two kinds even), A Manticore and a Dragon as bosses, Liopluradons that are about as magical as can of soup and only exist because of a meme that's been dead LONG before this game even launched, A Dodo wyvern/rex hybrid which leads an army of zombie creatures, and all sorts of strange amalgamations curtesy of an English man with a god complex. I think AN EXTINCT MONKEY is pretty normal in comparison.

Don't forget the folowing: a snowy Kong, a green monster spider, however you would explain Rockwell, (almost feel sorry for him cause no one would call him something horrific like bert or jeff.) Rainbow burping whales, penguin wearing funny hats, giant centipeeds that puke a armor destroying acid, giant annoyed flying chickens, and a menace that could have been like ananconda on ark but instead makes you tired in-game and not. I think that's everything, mabey, possibly, I missed something didn't I. But carconadonthosaurus could be really cool. 

2 hours ago, TyranntX said:

Monkey memes are great😢

3 hours ago, Gonewhalin said:

Really disappointing tbh. Thought we were gonna get an actual new real life dinosaur but instead we get a monkey that has been rediculously upscaled into a monstrous werewolf like creature. The ability that this creature has been given has nothing to do with the actual animal or what the creature should be. It’s unrealistic and rediculous, created only to add some strange change in the meta. These weird attacks and abilities started with extinction dlc and are now managing to kill the game with gen 2 being the most atrocious example yet.

Seriously, read a Wikipedia page this thing was real, and so what, WC always does this kind of thing with their creatures

5 hours ago, StrandedAndStoopid said:

what i said was my ideas for it. the missles are awesome too. it would be like a ground tropeo/delphis. also forgot to mention i also thought of a armor saddle, more focused on armor instead of versatility. having metal plates and abase armor of 100 instead of 25. if u needed to take out a wild giga solo, you would need the armor saddle.

I know it was your idea, my idea is completely different obviously. My idea for the Carchar was to have it be a glass cannon, it wouldn't be as tanky or as powerful as a Trex despite it being slightly bigger than it (I picture it as having similar stats to an Allosaurus). Though I do like your idea of giving it more armor rating of 100 instead of 25 armor for the saddle. 👍

Real talk, people are being so insanely pessimistic about something we ourselves voted on. 

On 7/30/2021 at 8:33 PM, AllOfTheAllos said:

So, that's a ferox with no extra arms and weaponized diarrhea. Great. Definitely not taming that. And not feeding that to my dinos either - they deserve better.

Why are people talking like that's a bad thing? Are y'all just incapable of being happy we get free content? I am 100% okay with Dinopithecus being an alternative to Ferox that can disable tek. I'll happily tame all the ones you ignore ;) 

On 7/30/2021 at 8:29 PM, HolyPoly1026 said:

And this is why you don't vote for a creature because of its concept, non-official abilities. Good job everyone! Coulda had carcharo or livyatan, but we got a Thyla with extra abilities. 

Like bruh, we quite literally voted for this ourselves as a community and now people are throwing a hissy fit because it can't use guns and wasn't the carchar. That makes our community look like spoiled babies who get mad when things don't go their way. If the carchar had won, people would be complaining it's "just another lazy rex". Like the argument these people are using here of "It can do things other dinos can do already" or "it's just a thyla with extra abilities" just makes me simply go "yeah, and? What's your point?" Ferox and Deinonychus and Thylas and megalania and rock drakes can all climb and yet we don't complain about having "too many climbing mounts." We don't call rock drakes stupid for being "glorified gliding megalania". We don't say "they should remove maewing from the game because we already have rock drakes". Just because a mechanic already exists in the game doesn't mean the developers can't find alternative ways to apporach that pre-existing mechanic in order to find new ways to play with it. Having a creature that is a combincation of a chalico, ferox, dire wolf, and ravager is (in my humble opinion) an extremely fun idea and I can't wait to use it. Has good potential to replace the thyla as peoples "go-to" traveling mount. 

On 7/30/2021 at 8:33 PM, JuliusSeizure said:

Sweet.  A chali 2.0! Another useless tame for PvE :) Why no Evo event though? Was really hoping there would be one

Like, calling it a "chali 2.0" is just straight up lazy. Like I said, it's quite literally a combination of a chalico, ferox, dire wolf, and ravager all smashed into one giant baboon that can also disable tech. Sorry but i highly doubt this thing will be useless in PVE. I play VE exclusively and I fail to see how this wouldn't be useful. Sounds like you simply lack creativity. 

On 7/30/2021 at 8:32 PM, Kaho said:

Add Carcha Wildcard, without GUNS monke is just a random BABOON.

cmon ADD BOTH.

Like come on guys. It can throw grenades, but since it cant use guns, that makes it just some random baboon? Really? Lazy af unappreciative and pessimistic players man. Without guns, it's still an awesome design and an awesome creature that will make plenty of new survivors on the lost island venturing into the jungles poop themselves silly. 

Although I agree it would be awesome if wildcard added both dino and carchar. 

Edited by xackbelle

4 hours ago, Gonewhalin said:

Really disappointing tbh. Thought we were gonna get an actual new real life dinosaur but instead we get a monkey that has been rediculously upscaled into a monstrous werewolf like creature. The ability that this creature has been given has nothing to do with the actual animal or what the creature should be. It’s unrealistic and rediculous, created only to add some strange change in the meta. These weird attacks and abilities started with extinction dlc and are now managing to kill the game with gen 2 being the most atrocious example yet.

Bro are you brand new to the game? Are you gonna also complain about how yutyrannus can buff its allies because "the dino couldn't do that in real life" or because it's "unrealistic and ridiculous, created only to add some strange change in the meta"? Are you gonna say that the Tropeognathus wouldn't have been able to survive having a jet engine on its back? Are you gonna complain about how the rex is way bigger in ARK than it was in real life? You're complaining about realism and believability in a game with dragons and lion fish-lions dude. Chill. The only thing dissapointing here is how unrealistic you let your expectations become. Team baboon HYPE for life. 

Edited by xackbelle

15 hours ago, ihasredstone said:

lol better than a carno but bigger or a leedsith but more aggressive and tek disabling helps against people who camp gen 2 also climbing grenades and pack alpha bonus make this thing a literal god for raiding bases

The tek disabling is completely useless in PvE, which consists of around half the community. Also, no one wanted a more aggressive leedsichthys. Livyatan would've been a deep ocean creature (its a sperm whale) and wouldn't even swim up to the surface. Leedsichthys isn't even tamable, and people wanted Livyatan as the ultimate water mount that ate Tuso and ignored Jellyfish. 

26 minutes ago, xackbelle said:

Real talk, people are being so insanely pessimistic about something we ourselves voted on. 

Why are people talking like that's a bad thing? Are y'all just incapable of being happy we get free content? I am 100% okay with Dinopithecus being an alternative to Ferox that can disable tek. I'll happily tame all the ones you ignore ;) 

Like bruh, we quite literally voted for this ourselves as a community and now people are throwing a hissy fit because it can't use guns and wasn't the carchar. That makes our community look like spoiled babies who get mad when things don't go their way. If the carchar had won, people would be complaining it's "just another lazy rex". Like the argument these people are using here of "It can do things other dinos can do already" or "it's just a thyla with extra abilities" just makes me simply go "yeah, and? What's your point?" Ferox and Deinonychus and Thylas and megalania and rock drakes can all climb and yet we don't complain about having "too many climbing mounts." We don't call rock drakes stupid for being "glorified gliding megalania". We don't say "they should remove maewing from the game because we already have rock drakes". Just because a mechanic already exists in the game doesn't mean the developers can't find alternative ways to apporach that pre-existing mechanic in order to find new ways to play with it. Having a creature that is a combincation of a chalico, ferox, dire wolf, and ravager is (in my humble opinion) an extremely fun idea and I can't wait to use it. Has good potential to replace the thyla as peoples "go-to" traveling mount. 

Like, calling it a "chali 2.0" is just straight up lazy. Like I said, it's quite literally a combination of a chalico, ferox, dire wolf, and ravager all smashed into one giant baboon that can also disable tech. Sorry but i highly doubt this thing will be useless in PVE. I play VE exclusively and I fail to see how this wouldn't be useful. Sounds like you simply lack creativity. 

Like come on guys. It can throw grenades, but since it cant use guns, that makes it just some random baboon? Really? Lazy af unappreciative and pessimistic players man. Without guns, it's still an awesome design and an awesome creature that will make plenty of new survivors on the lost island venturing into the jungles poop themselves silly. 

Although I agree it would be awesome if wildcard added both dino and carchar. 

My opinion has changed on the creature since it first came out, and I'm still mixed on it. I only want the creature if it's actually done right. Right now, it seems pretty similar to a few other creatures, and plays the near exact same as some of them. Anyways, this is just to clear up some of what you've replied. 

Carcharo would've won if it weren't for one person (not the youtuber who suggested the creature). I don't remember the full story, and I don't remember their names, but some carcharo fan decided to trash talk the Dinopithecus and said that the fundraiser the youtuber made was bs and only used to gain votes. After someone else confirmed it was a complete lie, the votes backfired on the carcharo fan and Dinopithecus ended up winning. 

If carcharo won, it wouldn't be a "lazy rex", "giga wannabe", or the other thousand phrases people call it. Are people really gonna compare a new creature to the 5 year old giga with no updates since besides stat changes, or the rex, which is literally made to be generic? Yes. Yes they will, which doesn't make any sense. I feel like people aren't using common sense when they feel it's just another giga/rex clone, but when you tell them that, they say "still, we don't need another theropod". Are people really complaining about veriety in terms of theropods when we have over 20 wyvern varients, 11 being tamale? At least the theropods are different creatures and not the same thing with a different secondary attack. 

People don't complain about the Rock Drake being a better Megalania because the Megalania was bad to begin with, and at the time of abberation's release, climbing dinos weren't very common. Also, no one complains about the amount of climbing creatures anymore because at this point it's not that unique of an ability anymore and everyone likes it. The reason people don't like Dinopithecus is because it takes multiple abilities of good creatures and renders the other creatures useless. Why tame a ferox is Dinopithecus doesn't need element? Why tame Deinonychus if Dinopithecus is stronger? Why tame Thyla if Dinopithecus is faster? While lots of people like having multiple dinos in one (like Snow Owl and Shadowmane), others feel it makes other creatures not as worth to tame when a better option is available, and makes the veriety worse or makes creatures people really like not a necessity. Two examples, say you have Daeodon as a healer, and Griffin as a high speed travel mount. Snow Owl comes out, and it's automatically an amazing creature while the other two are worse than before. Sure, they both have their uses, but Snow Owl takes up half of those uses and ends up more useful. Next example, I'm a huge Magmasaur fan and a PvE player. Suddenly the Stryder comes out, and it's easier to tame. Now it would just be a waste of time to tame one of my favorite creatures, since I can just collect an absurd amount of metal with a Stryder. 

Again, I don't hate Dinopithecus anymore, and could be very fun to use if done right. However, Dinopithecus has nothing way too special and seems like it would just replace other mounts and that's it. Sure, it can disable tek. What's a PvE player gonna do with that? A good creature should appeal to both communities, add veriety and versatility, and be worth taming (Dinopithecus already has the last one). 

I hope this cleared up on why people don't seem to like this creature. Like lots of other people, I do hope both Dinopithecus and Carcharodontosaurus are added to clear out the controversy and toxicity. 

3 hours ago, HolyPoly1026 said:

My opinion has changed on the creature since it first came out, and I'm still mixed on it. I only want the creature if it's actually done right. Right now, it seems pretty similar to a few other creatures, and plays the near exact same as some of them. Anyways, this is just to clear up some of what you've replied. 

Carcharo would've won if it weren't for one person (not the youtuber who suggested the creature). I don't remember the full story, and I don't remember their names, but some carcharo fan decided to trash talk the Dinopithecus and said that the fundraiser the youtuber made was bs and only used to gain votes. After someone else confirmed it was a complete lie, the votes backfired on the carcharo fan and Dinopithecus ended up winning. 

If carcharo won, it wouldn't be a "lazy rex", "giga wannabe", or the other thousand phrases people call it. Are people really gonna compare a new creature to the 5 year old giga with no updates since besides stat changes, or the rex, which is literally made to be generic? Yes. Yes they will, which doesn't make any sense. I feel like people aren't using common sense when they feel it's just another giga/rex clone, but when you tell them that, they say "still, we don't need another theropod". Are people really complaining about veriety in terms of theropods when we have over 20 wyvern varients, 11 being tamale? At least the theropods are different creatures and not the same thing with a different secondary attack. 

People don't complain about the Rock Drake being a better Megalania because the Megalania was bad to begin with, and at the time of abberation's release, climbing dinos weren't very common. Also, no one complains about the amount of climbing creatures anymore because at this point it's not that unique of an ability anymore and everyone likes it. The reason people don't like Dinopithecus is because it takes multiple abilities of good creatures and renders the other creatures useless. Why tame a ferox is Dinopithecus doesn't need element? Why tame Deinonychus if Dinopithecus is stronger? Why tame Thyla if Dinopithecus is faster? While lots of people like having multiple dinos in one (like Snow Owl and Shadowmane), others feel it makes other creatures not as worth to tame when a better option is available, and makes the veriety worse or makes creatures people really like not a necessity. Two examples, say you have Daeodon as a healer, and Griffin as a high speed travel mount. Snow Owl comes out, and it's automatically an amazing creature while the other two are worse than before. Sure, they both have their uses, but Snow Owl takes up half of those uses and ends up more useful. Next example, I'm a huge Magmasaur fan and a PvE player. Suddenly the Stryder comes out, and it's easier to tame. Now it would just be a waste of time to tame one of my favorite creatures, since I can just collect an absurd amount of metal with a Stryder. 

Again, I don't hate Dinopithecus anymore, and could be very fun to use if done right. However, Dinopithecus has nothing way too special and seems like it would just replace other mounts and that's it. Sure, it can disable tek. What's a PvE player gonna do with that? A good creature should appeal to both communities, add veriety and versatility, and be worth taming (Dinopithecus already has the last one). 

I hope this cleared up on why people don't seem to like this creature. Like lots of other people, I do hope both Dinopithecus and Carcharodontosaurus are added to clear out the controversy and toxicity. 

I think the reason we aren't seeing eye to eye here is because you seem to be playing the game with a completely different mentality than I am. You said: 

3 hours ago, HolyPoly1026 said:

Why tame a ferox is Dinopithecus doesn't need element? Why tame Deinonychus if Dinopithecus is stronger? Why tame Thyla if Dinopithecus is faster? While lots of people like having multiple dinos in one (like Snow Owl and Shadowmane), others feel it makes other creatures not as worth to tame when a better option is available, and makes the veriety worse or makes creatures people really like not a necessity.

In my view, this mentality has the potential to reduce the appeal of nearly every creature of the game. You're saying it's not worth taming TO YOU. But to me, it's still worth taming. Abilities are going to overlap over time, but the dinos and creatures in ark are all still unique in their own right. I don't sit around going "why would I tame a ice wyvern when their breath attack is objectively less useful than a lightning or fire wyvern?" They may have similarities in their abilities, but the creatures themselves are very different. The ice and poison wyverns look cool, and are fun to use, therefore I want to use them. I don't care if there is a "stronger and better option," I'm going to play the game in the way that is most fun for me. Like you won't catch me going "oh no an iguanodon is faster and can carry a bit more than a parasaur, so I guess im done taming parasaurs." If a dino looks cool, and has fun abilities, then I don't care if it overlaps with another dino. To me, the idea of a budget Ferox that can throw grenades instead of boulders is genuinely really fun. I am more interested in the creature as a whole, rather than how "useful" or "unique" it's abilities are. Sure shadowmanes are strong, and they may be a hodgepodge of several creatures mixed into one, but more importantly, they're insanely cool. I use deinonyschus AND thylas, because they're both fun to use. I don't stop using another dino simply because another one is more useful or more meta. And so im not going to stop using a thyla or a deinonychus once the baboon comes out, because I want all of them. If you don't want to use it because you don't want it to "replace" your other dinos, then that's on you. Me? Imma be swinging through the trees throwin poop at sarcos while being happy as heck! 

The other thing you aren't considering, is that dedicating one or two unique abilities per dino but then not reusing those abilities again later for other new dinos can potentially leave the game feeling stagnant.  Like, if I want a dino that can do a fear roar, I only have 2 options between the rex and yuty. What's wrong with wanting extra options between my mounts? Everything is going to have a niche anyways, since no dino is EXACTLY the same, and that leaves certain dinos completely useless when compared to others no matter what you do. So me personally, I enjoy visual diversity in my game and having only 2 or 3 dinos that climb? To me THAT is what's boring and, in your words, "makes the variety worse or makes creatures people really like not a necessity". I want TONS of climbing dinos, even if they're relatively the same at the end of the day. 

Just remember, everything in ARK is going to have a niche anyways, since no dino is EXACTLY the same. None of the climbing mounts are arguably the "best" if you were to ask me, becasue each fills very different purposes.

-I have a climbing mount that can be fairly tanky and can bleed enemies like crazy, while also staying hidden in the trees where I can pounce on prey : the thyla

-I have a small and nimble pack hunting climbing mount that can jump onto the back of larger dinos and takes no fall damage : deinonyschus

-I have a cute little fuzzball that I can carry on my shoulder until I feed it element, where it then becomes a powerhouse of a climbing mount that can then throw giant boulders from afar: ferox

-And now I will have a mid sized pack hunting climbing mount that can throw grenades and disable tek: dinopithecus

You can try and come up excuses such as "well this dino is bad because another dino does it better" all day, but I'm sorry, I just don't think any of these are going to replace any of the others. They all have their own unique uses and if you think the baboon is going to make others useless, or that it by itself will be useless, I just think you lack creativity. 

Edited by xackbelle

6 hours ago, HolyPoly1026 said:

I doubt that it was just because one person. The version i´ve heard was, that modders and some Youtubers startet pushing the Baboon (like one promising, that he would make a standalone Carcha mod, if people voted for the Baboon... which well ... he already announced 2019....) 
the charity thing... well good idea, nice marketing but terrible timing... 
Why not start that after the voting was over?  like either "Thanks for voting the monke, now hear me out for a sec.." or "too bad, the Baboon did not survive against Carcha... now let´s try to help real apes to survive" 
But announcing that during the votes, it´s certainly clear, people would accuse Up, that he was just trying to push his creature by any means.

The Reason, why i dindn´t like that thing from the start was, that Ark for me always was about prehistoric and fantasy creatures (Well, the second only after they actually started adding these regularly), with the mamals allways being rather boring. This Baboon resembles just a upscaled present day Baboon.. ant people beating a dead horse with their stupid memes or "MoNke wIlL uSe GuNS!!!" didn´t make it any better...
So still hoping for a third addition that will cover up this disappointment. 

I have doubts it will be charcara simply because "it was a 1% difference", wild Card is a bit uncool like that and doesn't seem like something they'd do. No, creature number 3 is going to be something no one has thought of and something that makes sense to the area... Like an extinct parrot, or some kind of iguana, or some other vanity shoulder pet that won't be used in PvP and has no use in PvE.

Either way, expect it to be something exotic.

Edited by TyranntX

12 minutes ago, TyranntX said:

I have doubts it will be charcara simply because "it was a 1% difference", wild Card is a bit uncool like that and doesn't seem like something they'd do. No, creature number 3 is going to be something no one has thought of and something that makes sense to the area... Like an extinct parrot, or some kind of iguana, or some other vanity shoulder pet that won't be used in PvP and has no use in PvE.

Either way, expect it to be something exotic.

simply hope for the best but expect the worst

9 hours ago, HolyPoly1026 said:

Yeah we pick a fight we are gonna pay and because of that a creature that has been mentioned for years is out voted by a psycho giant mesopithecus that was brought in out of nowhere.