• Announcements

• Jatheish

Note for players regarding Ascension (please open terminal/tribute before ascending)   02/04/18

With the latest server update on PC (v276.493), if you're going to attempt ascension, before doing so please make sure you've opened a supply crate/transmitter/obelisk/ basically anything terminal/tribute inventories. It's a temp workaround to characters being lost when ascending whilst we're investigating character issues further.
    • Eli

Official PC: Hard Turret Limit begins on 18th of February at 1PM ET   02/16/18

On the 18th of February, at 1PM ET we will be enabling the hard turret limit on all PC Official Servers. This means that you will not be able to build over 100 turrets within a 10k unit radius. This will work on autoturrets, heavy turrets, tek turrets, plus plant turrets and is no longer map specific. The hard limit calculation is done on start-up, so if your turrets are ever over the limit, they will be randomly shut-off until you're under the limit. In order to restore shut off turrets, you must pick up any which exceed the number, as well as shut-off turrets and replace them in order for them to work.
Sign in to follow this  
LilNastyGurl

Painting Dinos with Black Dye

I wouldn't mind if you guys could fix painting on dinos. From what I experienced, Black is the most popular color in the game, but as it stands it is one of the most difficult to use due to the fact that color regions on dinos causes it to come out nearly non-existent. Not only that, there are dinos whose color regions actually prevent painting. Cyan comes out invisible on humans and dinos alike, and Gray paint suffers from a lot of black's "invisibilty" quality where it acts like a paint eraser and not as an actual paint.

I heard a rumor that black paint was left this way on purpose to prevent dinos from becoming too difficult to see at night in PvP, but this would only affect anybody running their computer on ultra-settings (because anything lower and you see the dino clear as day before the paint even renders in) so, if that's the reason Black Dye doesn't work, then lol @ that balancing tho

This isn't for some kind of XxEdgyxX Hardcore Bloodtalon Fantasy RP where I play with Shadow the Edgehog recolors or something or need to express my Evildarkedge Bitter Hatred-Master-Axar-Killa Attitude, I would just like black to work so I can draw black stripes on my dinos.

Here is a current example, at 8-8-2017. This Griffin is completely covered in Black Paint. Notice any difference? No? Exactly.

Griff.jpg

Edited by LilNastyGurl

I completely agree, but i believe the devs have stated in a digest (or the other one) that the painting issue is being looked into. 

But i must admit... with all of the crazy choices the devs make... i truly don't understand why black paint (something humans used since the stone age) isn't allowed on a dinosaur. They want a wild west kind of game without rules...but then decide that black paint would be too OP...

On 5/24/2016 at 11:48 PM, panteni87 said:

I completely agree, but i believe the devs have stated in a digest (or the other one) that the painting issue is being looked into. 

But i must admit... with all of the crazy choices the devs make... i truly don't understand why black paint (something humans used since the stone age) isn't allowed on a dinosaur. They want a wild west kind of game without rules...but then decide that black paint would be too OP...

That also doesn't take into consideration the fact that the Giga can come in pure black naturally, making the Dev's fear of an invisible griefing dino real.

Painting in general with black is hard.

When on dinos like you said is really difficult to use, On players it turns up as a pale shading of grey.

How I fix it:

1. get easy to make bright dyes and paint it different colors over different regions and then save the painting. Save the painting
  2. take it out of the ark files (should save in a file called MyPaintings) and then use photoshop (gimp, firealpach Paint SAI etc would work as well)
  3. Recolor it as a darker color.
  4. Use a ARK paint converter (forgot its name(This one also reverts it to teh ARK hex colors BUT somehow makes it darker than would it is when painting in game xD)) to change it from a psd file to the pnt file
  5. drop it back into the MyPaintings file
  6. hop pack into ark and smack the dino/player with the brush and then hit Load Painting and select the one.

It will tell you the missing colors and just go get them (100% being 1 dye, 1000% being 10 dye etc) and then it will auto paint it onto the dino/player and you will have better looking paintings xD difficult way of doing things i know. They really need to change the Hex's...

also if you have mods installed and you get Alpha Colors that wont work on Dinos, Walls, Signs (Signs, Wallsigns and billboards), Structures and players. Alpha Paints only work on tools, armor and gear

If you have access to console commands you can permanently recolour your dino as well. It won't help you do black stripes unless the dino has an actual stripy region, but you could colour them completely black and then paint on stripes of a difeerent colour which would give the effect of black stripes.

Not ideal admittedly, but a workaround until they fix the paint opacity issue.

8 hours ago, Kraken said:

If you have access to console commands you can permanently recolour your dino as well. It won't help you do black stripes unless the dino has an actual stripy region, but you could colour them completely black and then paint on stripes of a difeerent colour which would give the effect of black stripes.

Not ideal admittedly, but a workaround until they fix the paint opacity issue.

I can do that in SP really well, the problem is we don't have access to console commands on Official Servers.

I agree LilNastyGurl.

If this rumor is true that they did not add it because it would be considered "OP," then I think they are missing the point of their own game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is the game centers around the principles of evolution, the obvious being that only the strongest creatures will prevail. This means that players must adapt to each situation to survive. There are no hand-me-downs, no in-game tutorials, no free rides. You spawn naked with literally nothing and only your wit and will to survive and reach end-game status.

All that being said, if another player decides to use black dinosaurs at night to raid, this is a strategy on their part they have come up with to survive that is completely realistic. Players should be given an equal opportunity to adapt to that strategy. Maybe setting up lamp posts on approach paths, noise tripwire alarms, flashlight attachments on rifles, etc.

I think adapting is the main point of the game, and developers should allow players to do so. Preventing dying dinos full black is not the answer.

10 minutes ago, madfretter said:

I really hope they don't add this feature to XBOX. It takes away from the thrill of finding rare or uniquely colored dinos.

You could still find Reallllly cool natural colored dinos, maybe the paint can be washed off when a dino steps in water or has soap uses on it, it would certainly balance it out.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 3:24 PM, ImpureFrost said:

You could still find Reallllly cool natural colored dinos, maybe the paint can be washed off when a dino steps in water or has soap uses on it, it would certainly balance it out.

Washing off would help... But then you'd need to do all dino trades in water so you know what you are getting...lol

2 hours ago, Smurfin said:

Me too, and one year and a bit longer later, even near launch, it still hasn't been fixed.

I kind of gave up hope on this and don't even use black paint anymore.

I hope the out-of-game texture editors still work though.