help [HELP] Lag when more than 8 players in a server

vacmg

Hi, recently I bought a computer to host an ark cluster with all the 10 official maps with some plugins like ark shop, etc.

The problem that I have is that performance is heavily impacted when more than 8 - 9 players are on a single map.

The cluster is hosted on a windows 10 machine with a ryzen 3900x CPU running at 4.1Ghz all cores, alongside 64GB of ram @3200Mhz, with a Sata SSD (500/420MB/s) and a 2.5Gb ethernet connector. The machine can have arround 70 to 80 players simultaneosly, but equally spread on different maps, but when more than 9 players enter on the same map, server fps drop to 2sfps and ping increases to 255 (probably is more, but 255 is the maximun number for a byte type number)

Firstly I thought that the server was running out of ram, but despite using around 60GB when the servers are starting, it settles back to 40GB of ram used in normal operation.

My theory is that ark server is not using all the CPU single thread power that it has, because there are little processors which can run faster than mine, and ark servers have been running for ages, when 3Ghz or even less frequency whas the standard, and those server had more than 10 players at the same time.

Maybe it is better to try with linux and wine? or with a virtual machine running in windows server? I don't know what to do, so help is really appreciated.

So, if anyone knows something, or want to help me, it is welcome!!! :D

I'm guessing that you're experiencing lag because the CPU cores used by your busiest maps are maxing out.
The Ark server will use one core for a map.  It is multi-threading, but not multiprocessing, you can't change it.

The ping time is usually reported in milliseconds - it's .  So "1000" means a 1 second ping time.  AFAIK, the Ark client filters out servers by ping time, so it might simply not be showing servers that have more than a 255 ping (just over 1/4 second)  time.

You won't gain any performance by running in a VM, as that will will require a second OS running on top of your bare-metal OS.

I've no doubt that lots of people would be delighted to hear if you manage to get the Ark server running under Wine, but it sounds like a recipe for lots of wasted hours and heartache.

Mods and plugins will have a small-ish hit on RAM and CPU time.  

2.2Ghz cpu faster than 4,2Ghz? really??? a xeon can perform better in single core than a 3º gen ryzen? I've been checking single thread performance, and my ryzen is by far better in single core/thread performance in comparison.

Maybe that is not the problem, but not sure... so, my problem is weird, isn't it?

Anyways, thanks for trying to solve my problem @Larkfields, lets see if we can come up with other idea...

12 hours ago, vacmg said:

What I need an answer for is: why there are lot of servers with more than 30 players per map, and I cannot have more than 8 with better CPU single thread performance, what I am missing?

if you are using all cores on multiple maps this will cause a lag issue and the same if you are playing on the same PC. if you are going to host and play on the same pc limit each map to 4 threads. make sure they are not on the same thread lanes. this is how the servers hosting do it. but even if you are not playing and hosting on the same PC this will stop each map running on the same core to over lap processing information at the same time.

also windows is an operating system that needs 2 cores to also run on. hope this helped with your lag issue

also, another thing depending upon your settings you have for player stats and dino stats can cause lag issues as well. levels above 300 will cause issues. extreme settings will cause issues as well. i am not sure what your settings are but it could cause it. what about your back up saves. how often can start causing it as well. 

On 7/30/2021 at 2:34 AM, bertrob2 said:

if you are using all cores on multiple maps this will cause a lag issue and the same if you are playing on the same PC. if you are going to host and play on the same pc limit each map to 4 threads. make sure they are not on the same thread lanes. this is how the servers hosting do it. but even if you are not playing and hosting on the same PC this will stop each map running on the same core to over lap processing information at the same time.

also windows is an operating system that needs 2 cores to also run on. hope this helped with your lag issue

So, 12 cores for 10 maps may be too little CPU for having 20 - 30 players on the same map?

Right now, I have the affinity set so any server has a dedicated core for it and another one shared with other map, in practice is like having one core and a half for each server

26 minutes ago, vacmg said:

So, 12 cores for 10 maps may be too little CPU for having 20 - 30 players on the same map?

Right now, I have the affinity set so any server has a dedicated core for it and another one shared with other map, in practice is like having one core and a half for each server

12 cores for 10 maps is fine...  1 map per core +  1 core for the OS.

You could try running the 10 maps without the affinity setting.  Let the OS manage the cores.  I found my maps ran with less lag this way.
I'd also recommend you don't use affinity to run a map on core 0, as Windows like to use that core.

Sorry for replying late, I had a busy week, anyways, without affinity it seems to run better, but not fine, instead of lagging with >9 players, it lags with >10 players.

I have to test running the cluster in x1, but I didn´t have time yet

Does any of you have a dedicated server? if so, can you share specs/os/configuration here, maybe something there is making the difference...

Anyways, thanks mates!!!

19 hours ago, vacmg said:

Does any of you have a dedicated server? if so, can you share specs/os/configuration here, maybe something there is making the difference..

Dedicated server with all official maps, no mods, and lightly boosted rates.
Windows 10 Pro, i9-9940X, 128GB RAM, 1 TB NVMe.

I start to see lag when there are more than about 15 people on a map.

The biggest single improvement (saving RAM and CPU time) came from setting the engine.ini to...
[/script/onlinesubsystemutils.ipnetdriver]
NetServerMaxTickRate=15

Archived