How do I get more meat?

Zapha

As new breeder I'm facing a new problem now after the event ended. It was already annoying while the event to spend a hour for meat runs before log off, but now with x1 it's really bad.

Even with a 512 slots capped Maewing full of meat it's barely enough for 6 or 7 hours, that means I even can't sleep too long, or my babies would starve. 2 hours for meat runs every evening is too much for me.

How could I optimize my meat gaining, please? Currently I'm doing my meat runs with a 500% melee Wyvern, that's the best I have.

3 hours ago, Zapha said:

As new breeder I'm facing a new problem now after the event ended. It was already annoying while the event to spend a hour for meat runs before log off, but now with x1 it's really bad. Even with a 512 slots capped Maewing full of meat it's barely enough for 6 or 7 hours, that means I even can't sleep too long, or my babies would starve. 2 hours for meat runs every evening is too much for me. How could I optimize my meat gaining, please? Currently I'm doing my meat runs with a 500% melee Wyvern, that's the best I have.

Meat runs shouldn't be too difficult, Id suggest running around with a wil tamed giga or rex. Wyvern is ok, but not as good. Heck even an allasour is better......You might wanna get bunch or rare flowers to help. Fly out in the middle of a bunch of big dinos, eat the flowers, everything will come to you. Wash rinse repeat. However if your on the island, or someplace with water, Id also suggest a mosa with the same strat, but be careful of the jellys.  Good news is with a mosa, you can build a small metal base on their back and put down a gen with a couple fridges, and a industrial cooker. While fish meat is worse than raw meat, if you only target other mosa's, plesiasaurs, and alpha mosa's, you can rack up and cook a LOT of cooked prime, and it will provide the a little more food per trough.

However due to bugs and other issues, a full tough and nurser may not be enough. Its prolly best to just use cryopods for when you are offline.

4 hours ago, Zapha said:

Even with a 512 slots capped Maewing full of meat it's barely enough for 6 or 7 hours, that means I even can't sleep too long, or my babies would starve. 2 hours for meat runs every evening is too much for me.

My biggest question: How many and what kind of dino's are you trying to raise at the same time?
I used to do meatruns with an argy on the Island, raising a few allo's, a spino and 1 rex at the same time. This was before maewings and incubators, it was doable without loosing sleep outside events.
My problems started when I got a Giga egg and had to feed 3 of those babies... Thanks to pods I managed but it took me 6 weeks ;)

I always cook the meat, it's only 20 to 30 deinos I raise per cycle. And I don't see the advantage of a walker (Rex/Giga) because I already have to cover a large part of the map for all the meat. Without a flyer that should be better?

Sorry, I think the meat requirements are totaly out of balance. I had to do a 2 hour meat run yesterday in the evening and another 2 hour meat run now in the morning. I say the maturing should be made x2 permanent.

I want to play a game and have fun and not spend half a day for meat runs. That means I will limit my cycle to 10 babies outside of events.

1 hour ago, Zapha said:

I always cook the meat, it's only 20 to 30 deinos I raise per cycle. And I don't see the advantage of a walker (Rex/Giga) because I already have to cover a large part of the map for all the meat. Without a flyer that should be better?

Sorry, I think the meat requirements are totaly out of balance. I had to do a 2 hour meat run yesterday in the evening and another 2 hour meat run now in the morning. I say the maturing should be made x2 permanent.

I want to play a game and have fun and not spend half a day for meat runs. That means I will limit my cycle to 10 babies outside of events.

Do keep in mind that your dinos consume a lot less food when not rendered and you logged in. So instead of just looking at how much food they still have, just let them be. Make sure your toon is logged out and your base is somewhat isolated so people arent constantly rendering your dinos.
Also. High HP, High Food dinos dont just die if they run out of meat. They sloooowly starve, only when food reaches 0 they will start to die, slooooowly (Well not THAT slow but if your baby is at 40% and has some high hp, the starving proces might even take half an hour.

Above that when creatures reach 50% maturation, the food consumption drops big time.

2 hours ago, Zapha said:

I always cook the meat

That may seem like a good idea but it's not, because for dinos the food value of cooked meat is only half of the food value of raw meat. They eat twice as much cooked meat which makes it a lot harder to get enough meat for them.

Getting enough meat is a bigger problem than how long the meat lasts in the troughs. A better idea is to have a bunch of refrigerators to store meat in between feedings, that way you can give them high-nutrition meat to eat until the trough is empty but still keep your surplus meat preserved in the refrigerators.

One stack of 20 raw meat in a feeding trough takes 13.33 hours to spoil, which means you can do one meat run a day, fill your troughs and refrigerators, and then come back 12-13 hours later and refill your troughs from the refrigerators.

2 hours ago, Zapha said:

it's only 20 to 30 deinos I raise per cycle.

Holy cow, are you kidding? That is a lot of animals (like a whole lot) for one person to be breeding and raising, no wonder you're having trouble being able to get enough meat. The first thing you need to do is develop more reasonable expectations. If you're doing this on Official servers that's just borderline insane, even if you're doing that on an Unofficial server that you don't control it's pretty nutty. You need to adjust you expectations based on the environment you're playing on or you need to think about getting off of Official servers.

2 hours ago, Zapha said:

And I don't see the advantage of a walker (Rex/Giga) because I already have to cover a large part of the map for all the meat. Without a flyer that should be better?

I'm guessing you've never owned a giga, which means you don't understand how much ground they can cover. You really need to ride one and go hunting with it, even if it's only one time, to appreciate how quickly they can move around the map and kill lots of stuff for meat harvesting. Giga's can walk over mountains and valleys as if they're just tiny bumps and cracks in the terrain, and they can kill so many things so quickly that they're basically a walking meat factory. You should run the game in single-player and then use admin commands to spawn one that you can control. It will only take you about 5 minutes to understand just how good they are for meat harvesting, then you can decide whether you still prefer your wyvern. Basically the only advantage that a wyvern has over a giga is that if you run into a wild giga the wyvern can fly away.

2 hours ago, Zapha said:

Sorry, I think the meat requirements are totaly out of balance.

That's because you're trying to raise "20 to 30 deinos" at a time, that's not the game's fault.

2 hours ago, Zapha said:

I had to do a 2 hour meat run yesterday in the evening and another 2 hour meat run now in the morning. I say the maturing should be made x2 permanent.

Sorry, but you really need to adjust your expectations of what one person can do (or play on a different kind of server, either Unofficial or single-player with boosted rates).

2 hours ago, Zapha said:

I want to play a game and have fun and not spend half a day for meat runs.

Now that is completely understandable, and I think any reasonable person would agree with you. Speaking for myself, this is one of many reasons that I don't like the Official servers and move to Unofficial servers instead. Having said that, harvesting rates on Official servers are probably not going to be changed again before the game comes to the end of its lifecycle, so you have to decide what choice is best for you.

2 hours ago, Zapha said:

That means I will limit my cycle to 10 babies outside of events.

Which is the smart move. Seriously though, you should also look around at the wide range of Unofficial servers that are available to public players, you might find one that suits your preferences.

Sorry, I don't play with cheats, so only official for me. But I will try that with the raw meat, thx.

Finaly I have to say that hose meat runs totaly kill the last immersion for me. To get some meat for the babies is one thing, but going all over the map like a crazy mass murderer and kill all in sight is not my imagination of immersion. It's sad and sick.

I tried a while to keep some immersion by only killing carnivors, but I would need the double time. This brainless mass murdering is an ugly part of ARK. And for what? There are better timesinks possible.

7 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

That is your problem right there. Don't cook your meat. They will eat twice as much cooked because it is less nutritious.

the wiki is not very clear on what does best to feed tames. It does for raw meat, but as for prime meats and such, its either hides the info or doesn't have any. =/ Raw meat provides some info on what it does for tames, while it does not provide any info on the other meat types.

Raw Meat - Official ARK: Survival Evolved Wiki (fandom.com)

18 hours ago, Zapha said:

Sorry, I don't play with cheats, so only official for me.

Self righteous much? Mods are not cheating, single-player is not cheating, altering settings on a private or unofficial server is not cheating. They are all just different ways to play the game - all of which were intended by WildCard, which is why they built the game they way they did.

WildCard explicitly, specifically designed the game to be played many ways, Official servers are only one of the many ways that the game was designed to be played. You should reflect on the fact that (last time I checked) over 70% of all players are playing on Unofficial servers, which doesn't even take into account people who play in single-player mode. You aren't seriously going to try to argue that 70%+ of all players are cheating? With an attitude like yours you might just as well call PvE cheating, since it's so much easier than PvP.

People pay for a game to provide them with a form of entertainment, taking advantage of features that the developer deliberately built into the game in order to make the game more fun and entertaining is not cheating, it's getting your money's worth from your entertainment dollar.

Finaly I have to say that hose meat runs totaly kill the last immersion for me. To get some meat for the babies is one thing, but going all over the map like a crazy mass murderer and kill all in sight is not my imagination of immersion. It's sad and sick.

So... it's ok to "kill" 5 imaginary pixel dino's in order to feed your imaginary pixel babies, but "killing" too many of them somehow ruins the immersion for you. That sounds odd in a game that is entirely based in a world in which the wild animals are constantly killing each other, and you, day & night, 24x7. You do realize there's no such thing as a vegan carnivore, right?

Go talk to any zoo keeper and ask them how much meat it takes to keep modern carnivores alive then think, really think, about how much meat it would take to sustain multi-ton behemoths. This is a game about surviving & thriving in a dangerous, primitive and intrinsically violent environment, so of course lots of killing is necessary.

Dinosaur translates into "terrible lizard", not "care bear".

Frankly your comment sounds more like an insincere rationalization to justify wanting to spend less time on meat runs, rather than just admitting you want it to be easier.

I tried a while to keep some immersion by only killing carnivors, but I would need the double time.

In the real world carnivores mostly prey on herbivores, and in the ARK world this is also true, wild carnivores in the game are generally more likely to attack herbivores than on each other. Deliberately focusing on carnivores is such an artificial decision it sounds more like something that would break immersion than increase it.

There are better timesinks possible.

Now that point I agree with, which is why I changed from Official to Unofficial servers. Nearly everything on Official servers takes too long and sucks the fun out of the game, but meat runs aren't any different than any of the other time sinks. It's rather silly to suggest that meat runs are uniquely time wasting when compared to all of the other pointless time sinks on Official servers.

• Volunteer Moderator
6 hours ago, wizard03 said:

the wiki is not very clear on what does best to feed tames. It does for raw meat, but as for prime meats and such, its either hides the info or doesn't have any. =/ Raw meat provides some info on what it does for tames, while it does not provide any info on the other meat types.

Raw Meat - Official ARK: Survival Evolved Wiki (fandom.com)

Why don't you edit it if you think it can be improved? 🤷‍♂️

On 7/25/2021 at 12:07 PM, SunsetErosion said:

Do keep in mind that your dinos consume a lot less food when not rendered and you logged in. So instead of just looking at how much food they still have, just let them be. Make sure your toon is logged out and your base is somewhat isolated so people arent constantly rendering your dinos.
Also. High HP, High Food dinos dont just die if they run out of meat. They sloooowly starve, only when food reaches 0 they will start to die, slooooowly (Well not THAT slow but if your baby is at 40% and has some high hp, the starving proces might even take half an hour.

Above that when creatures reach 50% maturation, the food consumption drops big time.

Very dangerous advice. the calculation on logging in seems to calculate spoil first. Then it seems the dino's are fed one by one, making some of then not receiving any food from loggout instead of when the meat should have run out and so causing a mass starvation the instant you log back in.

Lessons learned the hard way, found on a few occasions far more spoiled meat than there should have been calculating the correct consumption over time. With only some of the high HP/food dino's surviving but not all and insta kill for others at log in!

On 7/25/2021 at 10:50 AM, Zapha said:

Cooking is bad for most meatlovers. That Dinocount is high or VERY high if you are new to the breeding!
Keep in mind that certain dino's are better at meat harvesting than others. Giga's are one of the easiest fast collectors. Covering large distance is doable with them. Or use flyers and pod your harvester while flying to huntingground

On 7/25/2021 at 10:01 AM, Zapha said:

If you're not willing to get more meat, why are you asking how to get more meat? LOL. That being said, I used to have a meat run where I'd go to genesis and get hexagons and spend em on meat in the store while I'm standing at a terminal, timing is key cause spoilage will kill your transfer timer, then transfer it to the map I wanted meat on. I guess you could think of that as digital meat and not "sad and sick" :P

On 7/25/2021 at 6:47 PM, Thyme said:

Grow a bunch of plant species R-1

Telling someone that has a certain idea of immersion to harvest meat from plants? Thus replacing meatruns with fertilizer runs as well...

I'm actualy on the same page,  Gen 2 is only creating big metal boxes where you don't even have to leave your bunker to breed. With meawings there's not even the issue of handfeeding anymore. Hatch egg from incubator when ever you feel, stuff mea with food and baby, come back tomorow... And with those plants not even needing meatruns.

If you want to raise multiple baby dinosaurs, food runs are a necessary evil. Unfortunately carnivores need meat and lots of baby carnivores need loads.  The problem still lies with the fact you have taken on too much for the time you have available. Sounds like your Ark/ life balance is badly out of kilter.

You are probably one of these people who has an active social life and real world fwiends. Sorry I'm not going to pull any punches, stop wasting your time on this and devote your time to feeding your digital baby dinosaurs like a proper survivor.

On 7/26/2021 at 9:25 PM, MMaas said:

Very dangerous advice. the calculation on logging in seems to calculate spoil first. Then it seems the dino's are fed one by one, making some of then not receiving any food from loggout instead of when the meat should have run out and so causing a mass starvation the instant you log back in.

Lessons learned the hard way, found on a few occasions far more spoiled meat than there should have been calculating the correct consumption over time. With only some of the high HP/food dino's surviving but not all and insta kill for others at log in!

I dont know why I dont take any kind of questions serious about how much meat is needed to be "save" for logging off on long periods of time.
I really have not experienced great losses because of starvations. Even when I go to work, Im out for 10 hours at least. So I dont really understand why people have so much trouble having enough meat. 
Ive lost a couple of gigas maybe. But thats it. Ive ones raised 10 Gigas + 30 rex army + other stuff. I think a total of 50 dinos at least eating meat. And didnt have any problems going away for 10+ hours. Even a few "full" troughs when I logged back in. 
Just overstack like mad, whats so hard about it?!

Do missions on genesis and trade hex for meat, no killing extra animals needed.

There's also a calculator by crumplecorn that will tell the user how much food will be needed to raise an animal to adult.  You can select different types of foods and it will adjust the #s for you.  The only math you have to do on your own is multiply by how many of the animal you are raising and then figure out how many troughs are going to be needed.

Archived