The Problem with Wildcards Dates

DarastrixKepesk

One of the reasons Wildcard always delays arks updates and will end up delaying ark 2 is because they don't give themselves enough time most games take multiple years to make many take much longer ark 2 is supposed to be out next year and wildcard have 1 new map (Maybe more) with 3 new dinos and there is still play as dino coming witch means that wildcard is going to rush all of it end up delaying all of it because they didn't meet the deadlines and ark 2 will end up coming out several years from now anyway. they should just guess how long something will take to make double it and tell everyone that date at worst they'll only delay it a couple times at best they be able to surprise everyone with an early release. PS I'm not Trying to Sound rude or upset or frustrated I don't even have really strong feelings one way or another and ark is one of my favorite games and I will probably play ark 2 a lot.

Do you think they didn't have a discussion like this? Idk what the calculus is, are they being realistic? Perhaps they really think they can get it done by their deadline this time, perhaps they don't even think they can do it but for some reason they intentionally give unrealistic deadlines. Maybe they think it makes them work faster. Maybe they think it makes us more hyped up, bad publicity is still publicity...

Your post got me wondering what version of Unreal is used for Ark... we can find out from the file properties...
Unreal Version 4.5 was released in October 2014 (I can't find a release date for 4.5.1).  Ark was available from June 2015.  So it looks like WildCard haven't updated their game engine 🙂

Interestingly, the Atlas server also uses Unreal 4.5.1

image.png.dca434efe212d19f0074a02fd3ed7bb3.png

23 hours ago, Larkfields said:

I think you'll find that there is a separate dev team  for Ark 2 - it would be unmanageable to have a dev team switching between versions of Unreal to work on Ark 1 one day, and Ark 2 the next 🙂

but still it's in the background until next year and if they weren't working on anything else Id say maybe that they won't delay it and they have some big things this year. but at the same time I'm no expert and I'm pretty sure they just want to release stuff as soon as possible.

20 hours ago, DarastrixKepesk said:

They do have a really cool game and I never said they didn't but they delay everything sometimes multiple times.

So what? You don't see me complaining to Ryan Reynolds about Free Guy being delayed, do ya? If it takes weeks or even months later to get the game out, then that is what it takes. There is always something that kills a deadline. 

You can either take it straight or with a grain of salt. You have control over how you respond to things outside your control.

On 7/16/2021 at 4:30 AM, DarastrixKepesk said:

One of the reasons Wildcard always delays arks updates and will end up delaying ark 2 is because they don't give themselves enough time most games take multiple years to make many take much longer ark 2 is supposed to be out next year and wildcard have 1 new map (Maybe more) with 3 new dinos and there is still play as dino coming witch means that wildcard is going to rush all of it end up delaying all of it because they didn't meet the deadlines and ark 2 will end up coming out several years from now anyway. they should just guess how long something will take to make double it and tell everyone that date at worst they'll only delay it a couple times at best they be able to surprise everyone with an early release. PS I'm not Trying to Sound rude or upset or frustrated I don't even have really strong feelings one way or another and ark is one of my favorite games and I will probably play ark 2 a lot.

Wildcard has never given a release date for Ark 2, and I would say that it will be further away than 2023 as well.

The main reason for this is UE5, that is not officially released until mid next year and developers are not in the habit of releasing games on non production ready releases. That is just suicide for any developer.

On 7/16/2021 at 8:47 AM, Larkfields said:

Your post got me wondering what version of Unreal is used for Ark... we can find out from the file properties...
Unreal Version 4.5 was released in October 2014 (I can't find a release date for 4.5.1).  Ark was available from June 2015.  So it looks like WildCard haven't updated their game engine 🙂

Interestingly, the Atlas server also uses Unreal 4.5.1

image.png.dca434efe212d19f0074a02fd3ed7bb3.png

Wildcard has made the necessary changes to their game, provided it affected them. This was evident a few years ago, when a certain version was causing serious crashes. The main release got a patch that fixed this, and Wildcard eventually patched the version of UE4 that they were using.

It is very common for developers to stay with the version of the engine that they released the game with, because the cycle for testing it works on the newer version is way to time consuming. Therefore, if a critical patch is required to be made, it will be made.

1 hour ago, CyberAngel67 said:

Wildcard has made the necessary changes to their game, provided it affected them. This was evident a few years ago, when a certain version was causing serious crashes. The main release got a patch that fixed this, and Wildcard eventually patched the version of UE4 that they were using.

It is very common for developers to stay with the version of the engine that they released the game with, because the cycle for testing it works on the newer version is way to time consuming. Therefore, if a critical patch is required to be made, it will be made.

True that. Kind of the same for newer version of a language or data server.

I should sweep my queries for deprecations just to  install different number on something that already works?

Do all my supporting libraries work in this new version, or will I have to wait for that library publisher to sweep their code to handle syntax deprecation or changes?

Unless I see something fresh and intriguing to take advantage of, I'll let versions sit on what is already stable. Sweeping code and data structures to support a new engine is laborious. The higher number alone does nothing for me.

2 minutes ago, Ganelon said:

True that. Kind of the same for newer version of a language or data server.

I should sweep my queries for deprecations just to  install different number on something that already works?

Do all my supporting libraries work in this new version, or will I have to wait for that library publisher to sweep their code to handle syntax deprecation or changes?

Unless I see something fresh and intriguing to take advantage of, I'll let versions sit on what is already stable. Sweeping code and data structures to support a new engine is laborious. The higher number alone does nothing for me.

Exactly, we have enough of a headache finishing the job, than have to worry about causing more headaches.

On 7/17/2021 at 8:10 PM, Ganelon said:

So what? You don't see me complaining to Ryan Reynolds about Free Guy being delayed, do ya? If it takes weeks or even months later to get the game out, then that is what it takes. There is always something that kills a deadline. 

You can either take it straight or with a grain of salt. You have control over how you respond to things outside your control.

I think most of us have not realy an issue with 1 or more delays. But the obvious lack of testing before releasing broken patches again and again show they realy have put the bar too high most of the times.

4 hours ago, MMaas said:

I think most of us have not realy an issue with 1 or more delays. But the obvious lack of testing before releasing broken patches again and again show they realy have put the bar too high most of the times.

Agreed, theres way to much rush for new content.  Id prefer to play with what i already got and patiently wait for them to make it right.  Im totally ok with long wait times as long as it is done right.  This rushing is why crap doesnt work right.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 2:10 PM, Ganelon said:

First off I'm more or less just saying something to get people talking about stuff related to this, second this "discussion" or whatever you want to call it isn't going anywhere so let's just agree to disagree. PS I dont know why my comments seem frustrated on this topic I'm actually rather calm.

On 7/18/2021 at 12:40 PM, CyberAngel67 said:

Wildcard has never given a release date for Ark 2, and I would say that it will be further away than 2023 as well.

The main reason for this is UE5, that is not officially released until mid next year and developers are not in the habit of releasing games on non production ready releases. That is just suicide for any developer.

I could have Sworn it was supposed to come out next year I remember hearing so multiple times but I can check again if this is true that actually makes me feel a little bit better (Knot that I'm that mad about it). PS it would be kind of funny (funny doesn't mean good or bad) if wildcard stopped saying anything about ark 2 no new news at all until one day in the future it just shows up on steam and starts being sold on amazon and in stores.

Archived