Guess My Ark Story Ends with a Whimper (rant)

yekrucifixion187

I have roughly 17k hours in this game since March of 2017. I have endured the bugs and official headaches and loved all of it. 

I left Legacy for the promise of fixed issues and despite many issues persisting continued through it all because there was always ways around any issue. Tribemates, allies, kind souls. 

I started Ark with the mission to beat the bosses and that is where my focus was. I did some top stat breeding to pass the time but ultimately every metal node I crushed, penguin I clubbed, cave I ran, dino I raised and imprinted was with the aim at beating the bosses and I largely succeeded. Island, checked with my tribes own work and no carries. Ab checked with my tribes own work and no carries. Extinction checked with my tribes own work and no carries. 

The idea behind Genesis intrigued me and brought me back out of retirement. I had taken a 6 month break before I knew Genesis was a thing, logging off a level 134 homo deus, having the top weight Argy's on PS4. I loved the mission base ideas and joined up with old legacy buddies to conquer that part of Ark. 

Poor design plagued many a survivor but ultimately, tribed, everybody had their strengths and we were able to pull together to get Alpha MC done. The benefits of a tribe were shown especially in the run up to that boss. 

Today after my 19th attempt, I realized I will never be able to complete Gamma Star Dolphin. I don't play racing games. I don't play with invert. I don't play with a mouse and keyboard. If I wanted and could play that way I would play a racing game designed to be a racing game on PC. I have a tribemate who can do those things but since I need the mission done myself to participate in the fight it leaves me in the position of a level 155 survivor with nothing to work towards. We have pretty good Shadowmane line starting (8.5k hp with 0 mutes and 461 melee after 4 mutes) but what will be the purpose of continuing that project if I can't use them to fight Rockwell? 

Including race missions, which have nothing to do with any other thing you do in this creature taming and breeding, map exploring, survival game, is bad enough but then to discount the whole notion of tribes playing off each others strengths to get the goal done is just a huge dumbfounding decision.

So here it ends I suppose. I'm not looking for sympathy (well maybe a little). I'm not looking for advice. I am just venting my frustration. Bring on your troll comments. I may even come back to see them. I am just extremely irritated that my last 3k hours in this game goes out with a whimper after being thee survivor after my first 14k.

19 minutes ago, Ganelon said:

That is at least 708 full 24 hour days.

https://www.talkspace.com/online-therapy/

I don't need therapy for playing Ark. I work my 40 hours and pay my bills, see family and friends monthly, and play the game. What else should I do? Watch sports? Who cares. Watch movies and shows? I do. Visit places? I've been to 4 continents, 10 countries, and 23 states in my lifetime. I've seen enough places. Read books? I've read plenty and if something pops up that interests me, I'll read that too. So what am I missing?

Star Dolphin isnt THAT hard

I mean its definitely a major pain in the butt, but just seek out the health power ups to give yourself enough life to survive the garbage first 2 sections where you can barely turn. Just spam lock on bombs the whole time while doing your best to stay off the walls (its not easy).

You kinda have to get lucky with the health pick ups but once you get out into open space the rest of the mission is a piece of cake.

9 minutes ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Star Dolphin isnt THAT hard

I mean its definitely a major pain in the butt, but just seek out the health power ups to give yourself enough life to survive the garbage first 2 sections where you can barely turn. Just spam lock on bombs the whole time while doing your best to stay off the walls (its not easy).

You kinda have to get lucky with the health pick ups but once you get out into open space the rest of the mission is a piece of cake.

I can't turn almost at all. I can only destroy like 3 or 4 things so I can't even get the points to open everything up. On controller you can't even touch the left stick. I've read a million just keep the reticle centered but then how do I get the health power ups? 

I do not play these types of games. I did not like Star Wars, Star Fox, Need for Speed, Gran Turismo, or anything that resembles them. 

For a game based on tribe success and promoted as such for the last 5 years and then in the final chapter they remove that component. It makes little sense. You know what I'm good at? Having the time to tame, farm, and breed what we would need for that fight. That's my strength for the tribe. 

Hell, I'm even going to do that so that they can still get it done but it's definitely a gut shot I'll never get it done. 

19 times, 0 improvement from the 1st one and that's only Gamma. Lol. 

15 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

I don't need therapy for playing Ark. I work my 40 hours and pay my bills, see family and friends monthly, and play the game. What else should I do? Watch sports? Who cares. Watch movies and shows? I do. Visit places? I've been to 4 continents, 10 countries, and 23 states in my lifetime. I've seen enough places. Read books? I've read plenty and if something pops up that interests me, I'll read that too. So what am I missing?

Dude... there is literally NOTHING you can do that much that would not be considered obsessive in the most unhealthy way.

Since 2017? That's 4 years. Approx 35,040+ hours.

You are telling us, at 17,000 hours of ARK, that  you play  12 hours a day, every day.... and on weekdays work an 8 hours job(so that's at least 20 hours on weekdays between work and ARK... rinse repeat x5 per week). Oh, I forget... you took 6 months of that off.... that 4,368 hours freed up to expand your glorious life by ...

"Watch movies and shows? I do. Visit places? I've been to 4 continents, 10 countries, and 23 states in my lifetime. I've seen enough places. Read books? I've read plenty"

After 6 months of that, and I assume days of full and healthy sleep to recover from the mere 4 hours a day every workday... you see a DLC and decide to give up your globetrotting ways and dive back into ARK like a heroine addict dives into a toilet to get that dropped bag of smack.

TRAINSPOTTING7.jpg

If what you say is true, you would be THE most pathetic person on the planet and deeply in need of therapy to not be an emotionally crippled shut-in. Life... you are doing it wrong.

ALTERNATIVELY... I think you are LYING about how many hours you played because you foster the delusion that hours played equals authoritative credibility for your mewling whine about a video game being too hard for YOU. ALTERNATELY... You are a lying liar that lies for attention and overtly requested sympathy. On the plus side, that isn't pathetic at all... 

:)

Well if it comforts you i didn't do most of  missions.

Missions are done for young people with fast reflexes and good eyes.

Also mission do not explain what you have to do, what command/ buttons you need to press to drive maewing, enforcer, astrodelphis etc.

In some missions you use mouse to change direction in other buttons, total confusion.

All that could pass but excessive flashing, colors, lighting make me don't see anything.

Also seeing how bad is to drive astrodelphis is bad advertisement for that dino, you don't want to tame one lol.

But you are forced if you want to unlock HLN-A explorer notes, same with Noglin - deadly and not useful in PVE, but you must tame it in total pilared map if you dont have pack of voidwyrms or spare brontos to unlock explorer note.

On 7/13/2021 at 4:03 PM, yekrucifixion187 said:

I can't turn almost at all. I can only destroy like 3 or 4 things so I can't even get the points to open everything up. On controller you can't even touch the left stick. I've read a million just keep the reticle centered but then how do I get the health power ups? 

I do not play these types of games. I did not like Star Wars, Star Fox, Need for Speed, Gran Turismo, or anything that resembles them. 

For a game based on tribe success and promoted as such for the last 5 years and then in the final chapter they remove that component. It makes little sense. You know what I'm good at? Having the time to tame, farm, and breed what we would need for that fight. That's my strength for the tribe. 

Hell, I'm even going to do that so that they can still get it done but it's definitely a gut shot I'll never get it done. 

19 times, 0 improvement from the 1st one and that's only Gamma. Lol. 

I'm on playstation so I had to do it with a controller. I fully understand that its a massive pain in the allo but it is doable. 

Just take the course piece by piece, obstacle by obstacle and try to learn where the power ups are positioned. You kinda have to get lucky with health drops though because every run wont be the exact same.

I don't know who says to keep the reticle centered but that wont work. You'll just keep smashing into walls and losing health. You have to make small adjustments with the steering as it's really sensitive. 

Youre gonna take hits from the walls no matter what because the controls are so bad, so the key is just to top off your health as much as possible with the power ups while constantly blasting enemies with the lock on missles to build up points.

I get where you are coming from yekrucifixion187

My buddies have this same problem with Star Dolphin.  I have a core group of players and every Saturday we do a boss fight.  We have been doing Boss Fight Saturday for years.  These guys have bred up awesome dinos we use on the Boss Fights and have defeated all the Alpha Bosses on all the maps multiple times, until now.  We haven't been able to do even Genesis 2's Gamma Boss Fight because a few of them can't get through Star Dolphin.  I can't help them more than just participating in their missions, but I can't stop them from slamming into stuff or clipping out of the course.

I have never heard such frustration out of these guys until recently.  We are an older crew, most 40+.  Hand-Eye coordination has started to slip for some of them.  They have no desire to play a Space Fighter Simulator.  They want to play a survival game with dinos and fantasy creatures.  They very much enjoy other missions, Survive the Ark, Code Red, and Choose your own Adventure are well liked.  A few of these Genesis 2 missions are in now way like any other part of Ark.  There is nothing like Star Dolphin or Circuit Chase in the open world maps.  There is no sloped curvy river like Downriver Run in the open world maps.

If all participants didn't individually have fulfill the boss fight requirements (such as in Gen1) or if the Boss Fight requirements didn't require all the missions of a difficulty it would solve so many of their frustrations with this DLC.

Its ironic that WC asked us to complete every single mission, and yet they failed to get any single mission right.

I guess this statement is at least valid on official servers, where the ping is high enough so that the phase pistol becomes a decoration, a bulbdog can be shot in the face without taking damage, as astrodelphis can teleport straight into wall, and a enforcer or a cannoe can blink around in a completely unpredictable pattern not unlike that of a electron in its orbit.

Although nothing is impossible and i believe some people CAN get all the alpha missions, but what they have gone though is probably a trail of pain instead of joy.

i understand your frustration, i am in the same boat but for different reasons, i got interested in ark because of the dino (breeding fight), so i am only doing bosses/missions that involve using dinos, i had fun doing bosses on island, scorthed earth, aberation, extinction, valguero, because you could do them with dino

but i am not interested in doing fight where you have to run on foot with shotgun, there is tons of FPS games for that, so i did not do master controller and most of the missions on gen1 and gen2, simple if i cannot take a dino to do the fight, i don't do it

so obviously i will never do the gen 2 bosses on any difficulty

passed alpha circuit chase in official, i thought it was the worst, and yet.......

tried alpha star dolphin 120 times, got the best score in an official server, and...... still failed
now i feel this is pure evil that no human should go through, and its just a single mission out of many
every single player is expected to face these to complete their journey !?! if the person who designed alpha missions were to puke out all the time he wasted us players, that person will instantly die of old age

On 7/16/2021 at 6:56 PM, L4D2 said:

i understand your frustration, i am in the same boat but for different reasons, i got interested in ark because of the dino (breeding fight), so i am only doing bosses/missions that involve using dinos, i had fun doing bosses on island, scorthed earth, aberation, extinction, valguero, because you could do them with dino

but i am not interested in doing fight where you have to run on foot with shotgun, there is tons of FPS games for that, so i did not do master controller and most of the missions on gen1 and gen2, simple if i cannot take a dino to do the fight, i don't do it

so obviously i will never do the gen 2 bosses on any difficulty

How did you ever tame a dino if you refuse to engage in any FPS like activity  ? Wouldn't firing a longneck or bow constitute such an act ?

Seems like kind of a weird place to draw a line in the sand.

soloed alpha star dolphin in official server cluster
17 hours tried, 150+ fails, and now, i have the right to demand that this mission should be made easier, or at least make it so that anyone who joins that alpha rockwell prime get to miss 3-4 missions

no one else deserver to suffer this, and i at least deserve to get a few tribemates to come with me to the final boss.....

What is hard is not Star Dolphin, what is hard is that many people are losing all their mission progress and a GM wont restore it , so figure that scenario. This has been like the most annoying dlc, this missions and passive tames with this huge lag are a nightmare, plus the stupid ANTI MESH destroying people on space and sending tames to another dimension , I have like a week looking for a tame in space that had my mutagen and 2 event wyverns inside, server crashed and Anti Mesh killed me, and then right in front of my base in space , in one of the big metal plat, out of the blue the hyper space took another tame, never to be seen again. Space is full of a bunch of tames and skiff that come and go, it says you can find them when the same asteroids are back... NOP, still waiting for the damn thing to show up. So literally be in space at your own risk. Is this gonna get fixed? well I ranted a lot about anti mesh destroying ferox when gen 1 was around, and still even in gen 2 anti mesh is destroying people ferox loool , Ark is a bad romance, really gonna wait like 2 years to jump to Ark 2 or skip it just to avoid the frustration of the bug fest. 

Yea, the mission requirements turned me (and my tribe) off of Gen 2 as well. It really should have been something like Gen 1, where you could leave the ones that started bogging you down.

The big killer for my tribe was the requirement that everybody do all of the missions. I'm the one in the tribe who does the missions, as the others don't have much interest in them. Since we would never have been able to do the boss fight together, we simply stopped playing Gen 2 after a few weeks.

We'll be back when Lost Island comes out, but until then we're taking an Ark break.

EDIT: OP, with 17k hours, I'd say you got your money's worth out of Ark, even if it didn't end so well.

2 hours ago, xirael said:

What is hard is not Star Dolphin, what is hard is that many people are losing all their mission progress and a GM wont restore it , so figure that scenario. This has been like the most annoying dlc, this missions and passive tames with this huge lag are a nightmare, plus the stupid ANTI MESH destroying people on space and sending tames to another dimension , I have like a week looking for a tame in space that had my mutagen and 2 event wyverns inside, server crashed and Anti Mesh killed me, and then right in front of my base in space , in one of the big metal plat, out of the blue the hyper space took another tame, never to be seen again. Space is full of a bunch of tames and skiff that come and go, it says you can find them when the same asteroids are back... NOP, still waiting for the damn thing to show up. So literally be in space at your own risk. Is this gonna get fixed? well I ranted a lot about anti mesh destroying ferox when gen 1 was around, and still even in gen 2 anti mesh is destroying people ferox loool , Ark is a bad romance, really gonna wait like 2 years to jump to Ark 2 or skip it just to avoid the frustration of the bug fest. 

agreed, and i will add all the character loss as well

On 7/21/2021 at 7:23 PM, St1ckyBandit said:

How did you ever tame a dino if you refuse to engage in any FPS like activity  ? Wouldn't firing a longneck or bow constitute such an act ?

Seems like kind of a weird place to draw a line in the sand.

of course i did use a gun and crossbow to tame dinos but the goal of this game is not to spend your life on foot shooting gun, having dinos is suppose to make your life easier, that is why i think missions and bosses should focus on actually using dinos.

when i started playing on the island, taming a ptera was a game changer, on ragnarok the first thing i would do was taming an equus, then ptera then griffin etc...

on gen 2 i hardly tamed any dino because having a tek suit make most of them obsolete, the only thing i tamed are the new dino, stryder, maewing astrodelphis etc also got a couple of reapers because they are easy to get, got an owl, that's about it,

i am just waiting for the transfer to open to bring my top dino in, i don't really want to spend time taming new ones when i know they are going to be completely obsolete in a few weeks

Yeah the requirement to personally complete ALL missions to do the boss fight has fragmented my tribe. On other maps, those of us who are "good" at the game get everything ready for the boss fight and we take the lead giving out instructions on what to do during the fights which generally goes smoothly. But with Gen2 missions, my tribe of ~10 is now me and 1 other tribemate that completed nearly all the alpha missions. The others do not have the hand eye coordination needed to do alpha races, star dolphin, etc. I was able to coach the older tribemates through gamma races and carry them on other gamma missions, but that's where it ends for them so they've given up with that aspect of gen2 and have went back to their other maps.

20 hours ago, L4D2 said:

of course i did use a gun and crossbow to tame dinos but the goal of this game is not to spend your life on foot shooting gun, having dinos is suppose to make your life easier, that is why i think missions and bosses should focus on actually using dinos.

when i started playing on the island, taming a ptera was a game changer, on ragnarok the first thing i would do was taming an equus, then ptera then griffin etc...

on gen 2 i hardly tamed any dino because having a tek suit make most of them obsolete, the only thing i tamed are the new dino, stryder, maewing astrodelphis etc also got a couple of reapers because they are easy to get, got an owl, that's about it,

i am just waiting for the transfer to open to bring my top dino in, i don't really want to spend time taming new ones when i know they are going to be completely obsolete in a few weeks

The tek suit is great to get around the huge gen 2 map but the new dinos actually have some amazing utility like raising babies w the mae, farming w the stryder, scouting/infiltrating bases w the noglin, structure damage with the tek dragon, and the dolphin is a PvP menace.

Every single one of the new dinos brings something to the table.

I guess you could argue that the Shadowmane is outclassed by other power dinos but I found it fun as hell to play around with. You can get them surprisingly strong through breeding and even tamed ones have serious stats when maxed out.

So gen 2 arguably introduced the best overall dino collection of any map. 

Is it vital to tame transport dinos on gen 2 like every other map ? Well, no. But the gen 2 dinos are 100% worthwhile tames.

Archived