question Do players take bonus headshot damage? Do bigger heads have bigger hitboxes?

Narananas

10 minutes ago, ThePryBar said:

The hit box stays the same size, based on my experience bigger heads are harder to get a head shot on hence why all my characters have massive heads plus who doesn't like big heads lol

hitbox same =/= harder to get headshot
did you intentionally write a conflicting statement to conflictingly conflict the previous answer? lol

14 hours ago, Thyme said:

Headshots will do more damage, and the hitbox matches your character size (make your pvp characters the smallest female possible to make your hitbox small)

This is what I've always assumed but never tested. Watching pvp videos the seemingly better pvpers will often try to get head shots, and it seemingly kills the enemies faster, but honestly Idk for sure, never like analyzed videos to verify that, is just an impression... some two people wanting to test this could get together on a beach and have one of them use a sling shot maybe? / make various characters 

2 hours ago, ThePryBar said:

Sorry but the hit box stays the same size as the original head, so a smaller head has a bigger hit box then the big head.

I think you're saying they have the same absolute size, but e.g. a small head has a larger relative box, essentially you can miss the smaller head but hit the hit box.

Just now, sjskdjkfa said:

I think you're saying they have the same absolute size, but e.g. a small head has a larger relative box, essentially you can miss the smaller head but hit the hit box.

...if it's the same hit box for all heads and you run around with the biggest head possible, people aiming for your forehead are shooting above the actual hitbox.

9 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

...if it's the same hit box for all heads and you run around with the biggest head possible, people aiming for your forehead are shooting above the actual hitbox.

If ThePryBar is right about the hitbox staying the same for different sized heads, then your observation here is intriguing! It shouldn't be hard to test, just need to try shooting a character with a giant head on the very top.

Though the opinion of most people (I asked on Reddit too and tried searching for this info) seems to be that the hitbox matches the character. Yet the Getting Started section on the Official Wiki claims character creation doesn't affect the hitbox. There's a lot of misinformation around.

In my experience the hit box stays the same size as the original heads.  If your sniping in this game always aim for the center of the chin and take off the crosshairs for accuracy.  In PvP I'm the first to die by Bola so I've spent a lot of time with ascendant longnecks sniping clowns, big heads forhead shots always miss.

6 hours ago, ThePryBar said:

In my experience the hit box stays the same size as the original heads.  If your sniping in this game always aim for the center of the chin and take off the crosshairs for accuracy.  In PvP I'm the first to die by Bola so I've spent a lot of time with ascendant longnecks sniping clowns, big heads forhead shots always miss.

So I've asked this on the official discord, Ark reddit, and from my future tribemates. Everyone thinks the hitbox perfectly matches the body & head. So I'll have to test it for myself when I finally get the chance. If you're right, then I'll be able to make a character with an oversized head like I hoped!

Archived