Help with backing up a game

sunnymcgee

So I have a saved game  that I want to back up. Basically Ive created a scenario, and I want to be able to restore it to its original form after its been played.

I play on PC and the game is purchased from the windows store. Is there a way to do this in game?

I have been scouring forums to find an answer. So far I've accomplished giving myself ownership of the app files (something windows doesn't think we need to own anymore?!?). But so far as I can tell, the saved game doesn't load from my PC. I contacted Microsoft support and they couldn't give me a straight answer as to where the save file would be located.  I located what resembled a save folder (I think... windows support couldn't tell me if it really was the save folder), the folder was named "theisland". I tried removing it temporarily, loaded up Ark, and my save game loaded just fine without the file (sorry I couldnt tell you the file-path now, I assumed it was useless and discarded that information). Is this even possible with the windows store version? Ive seen posts on how to do it with the steam version, but it doesn't translate well.

Please Help!

Somewhat related question: Is there any way to make my own turrets fire at me? Would they fire at me if I created a new survivor? And if I were to create a new survivor, could I later (as the owner of the server) give myself ownership of the structures built by my previous Survivor?

Not sure if the Windows Store files are the same as Steam files or not, but if they are:

Assuming you know where to find the game files at, Its a folder called "ARK", its contents should look something like this:2021-07-05.thumb.png.06654f61e4a4bcc97bff59d382cebb2d.png

Go into the "ShooterGame" folder, Then the "Saved" folder. The folder "SavedArksLocal" are the files for The Island, those are the ones you want to back up.

As for your second question, if your turrets are set to attack everything, they should attack you if you make a new survivor. And if you use the command: "GiveAllStructure", that should give whatever structure your looking at to you.

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, TimeBomb2003 said:

Not sure if the Windows Store files are the same as Steam files or not, but if they are:

Assuming you know where to find the game files at, Its a folder called "ARK", its contents should look something like this:2021-07-05.thumb.png.06654f61e4a4bcc97bff59d382cebb2d.png

Go into the "ShooterGame" folder, Then the "Saved" folder. The folder "SavedArksLocal" are the files for The Island, those are the ones you want to back up.

As for your second question, if your turrets are set to attack everything, they should attack you if you make a new survivor. And if you use the command: "GiveAllStructure", that should give whatever structure your looking at to you.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! My second question has been answered, and I appreciate the effort but steam files are different than windows store files.

4 hours ago, TimeBomb2003 said:

Hope this helps.

So I was able to get my turrets shooting at me no problem. Definitely helped dial in the settings. Problem though, I can't fully edit my base... "giveallstructure" works fine and dandy, except some items wont allow me to place them, saying they are "too close to enemy base or foundation". Ive checked around and it seems that all the components have transferred ownership to me, even tried giving the command several times from different places around the base.

Anybody got any ideas on how to fix that? Or should I be posting this in the bug report thread?

3 minutes ago, sunnymcgee said:

So I was able to get my turrets shooting at me no problem. Definitely helped dial in the settings. Problem though, I can't fully edit my base... "giveallstructure" works fine and dandy, except some items wont allow me to place them, saying they are "too close to enemy base or foundation". Ive checked around and it seems that all the components have transferred ownership to me, even tried giving the command several times from different places around the base.

Anybody got any ideas on how to fix that? Or should I be posting this in the bug report thread?

That's odd, I've never had that happen to me before. What I suppose you could do is look around your base and see if there is any structure that has a yellow name, instead of green. Then use the command: "setcheatplayer true". From there, when you look at the structure, you should see something saying Team, followed by a bunch of random numbers.

Now your going to use the command: "TakeTribe (those numbers)", without the parenthesis. That should give you ownership of the tribe.

Archived