Linux Dedicated Server Port Forwarding Not Working

Ultric

I've gone through all of the steps of setting up an ark server on my linux box. Haven't bothered with all of the automation crap or setting up a static local ip for it yet, as it's just for a few friends and myself at the moment. I can connect to the server from my main gaming system with no problems, but when I try to connect from outside the network or run a port checker, 7777 always seems to come back closed (as well as 27015). I usually test externally by connecting my computer to my phone's hotspot and using my external address.

I've hosted servers before, so I'm pretty familiar with the whole port forwarding process. I've opened all of the same ports on my router as I did for the iptables on the linux machine, so if my gaming system can connect, the outside world should too.

I appreciate any help or input folks can provide!

Just now, Larkfields said:

Did you port-forward  7777, 7778 and 27015?  Ark uses the "port=" number and the next number up.

Port-checkers usually report Ark's ports as being closed because Ark has its own protocols that port-checkers can't communicate with.

Those ports are indeed open.

I kept reading that the port checkers wouldn't work, hence why I double-check with the mobile hotspot trick. I've also got a friend who's checked a few times for me.

To clarify, while it does show up on battlemetrics.com, attempting to join through it fails. Brings up the steam server info window and it won't connect.

EDIT: My current working solution was to setup a hamachi network. My friend was able to successfully connect and play using that method. Really simple to setup, but still not ideal in my opinion. Definitely backs up my conclusion that the port forwarding on my router isn't quite functioning like it should. For any reference or assistance this might provide other people in fixing this or determining why it isn't working, I'm using a Netgear XR500 Gaming Router, a Netgear router running DumaOS.

These are the firewall rules I have on my server which allow various maps to work:

ufw allow proto udp to any port 27051 comment 'Island Query'
ufw allow proto udp to any port 7777 comment 'Island Game'
ufw allow proto udp to any port 7778 comment 'Island Raw'

ufw allow proto udp to any port 27052 comment 'ScorchedEarth Query'
ufw allow proto udp to any port 7779 comment 'ScorchedEarth Game'
ufw allow proto udp to any port 7780 comment 'ScorchedEarth Raw'

If your OS rules are similar to this, the problem is not at the OS level but at the hardware router / firewall level...or maybe your ISP is blocking Steam ports.

Hello, just popping back in for anyone else still suffering this issue: While normal port forwarding doesn't seem to work, establishing a VPN with my friends using ZeroTier One has worked flawlessly (and it was remarkably easy to do). Hamachi led to my buddy's internet offing itself periodically, regardless of whether we were using it at the time and led to him uninstalling that.

On 6/29/2021 at 11:22 AM, LHammonds said:

These are the firewall rules I have on my server which allow various maps to work:

ufw allow proto udp to any port 27051 comment 'Island Query'
ufw allow proto udp to any port 7777 comment 'Island Game'
ufw allow proto udp to any port 7778 comment 'Island Raw'

ufw allow proto udp to any port 27052 comment 'ScorchedEarth Query'
ufw allow proto udp to any port 7779 comment 'ScorchedEarth Game'
ufw allow proto udp to any port 7780 comment 'ScorchedEarth Raw'

If your OS rules are similar to this, the problem is not at the OS level but at the hardware router / firewall level...or maybe your ISP is blocking Steam ports.

I agree it's not at the OS level, as I can connect to it over LAN just fine. While I don't think I'll get anything particularly conclusive out of testing this game any further, I will try and come back after the next game I host to see if this is something unique to ARK or my router/ISP combination (I'm fearing the latter).

Sidenote: The extreme limit on posts for new users is incredibly counter-productive to anyone looking for help, kinda why I forgot to respond.

Archived