20 hours ago, DromaeoSapiens said:

I have to say those little sketches by you are hilarious and adorable. This combined with the rest of the thread really conveys a creature with so much personality. I'm glad this is currently in the top 10 submissions, it might actually have a chance of getting in.

Also, thanks for crediting the ideas respectively. 😁

What did you use to make those sketches btw? I've been tempted to make one myself for this or another creature.

Ahh, thank you so much! ❤️ I am glad you liked them. I do agree with you on it having a lot of personality, I believe it would fit well in the Ark world :) Now we gotta keep this thread active to hopefully keep it in the top 10, I've noticed a lot of new submissions have been getting votes lately and are slowly approaching. 

And no problem about the credits. It's the least I could do and I really liked your ideas! 

About the sketches - I drew first on paper, then transferred to my PC where I did the lineart on Krita. It's a drawing/painting program you can get for free :D 

19 hours ago, DromaeoSapiens said:

smaug the terrible GIF

All Yi-Qi's in the vicinity when you dismount mid-flight and fall to your death. 

Idk why but I felt the need to do this, it was just too fitting.

🤣🤣🤣 this is perfect!!!

14 hours ago, xelkon said:

mmmm more microraptors? i dont care..

Oh no no no, I wasn’t trying to imply that Yi-qi’s would dismount you like microraptors (dear god no). I only meant that as a joke about how every now and then we accidentally press “E” while flying. Besides, if there are any tames nearby (shoulder pets included), then Yi-qi won’t try anything. Also, as Zorafoxx mentioned, chasing it would make it drop what it took. Believe me, we’ve considered some counter measures. 👍

19 hours ago, Zorafoxx said:

Ahh, thank you so much! ❤️ I am glad you liked them. I do agree with you on it having a lot of personality, I believe it would fit well in the Ark world :) Now we gotta keep this thread active to hopefully keep it in the top 10, I've noticed a lot of new submissions have been getting votes lately and are slowly approaching. 

And no problem about the credits. It's the least I could do and I really liked your ideas! 

About the sketches - I drew first on paper, then transferred to my PC where I did the lineart on Krita. It's a drawing/painting program you can get for free :D 

🤣🤣🤣 this is perfect!!!

I actually have Krita, i just haven’t messed with it in a few years, got a little confused and intimidated. I guess I’m still used to more traditional mediums. 

On 7/4/2021 at 2:42 PM, DromaeoSapiens said:

Oh no no no, I wasn’t trying to imply that Yi-qi’s would dismount you like microraptors (dear god no). I only meant that as a joke about how every now and then we accidentally press “E” while flying. Besides, if there are any tames nearby (shoulder pets included), then Yi-qi won’t try anything. Also, as Zorafoxx mentioned, chasing it would make it drop what it took. Believe me, we’ve considered some counter measures. 👍

Yeah this! I believe we are all trying to be a bit unique here, that involves not only the utility of the dino for the survivor but adding a new mechanic/threat to the game is also important. But in no way it would be like a microraptor 

On 7/4/2021 at 2:58 PM, DromaeoSapiens said:

I actually have Krita, i just haven’t messed with it in a few years, got a little confused and intimidated. I guess I’m still used to more traditional mediums. 

That's totally fair, it also took me a long time to get used to painting/drawing digitally. And even then it's still more comfortable to me to draw in paper 😅

I finally got around to draw (and paint) my interpretation of the Yi Qi for Ark. Too bad my style is a bit cartoonish so I don't think it looks as good in the dossier, but I will still update my previous post with it to avoid using artwork that doesn't belong to me. 

I tried to give him a more dragon-ish look without straying away from the real thing. However, since Ark often implements details from other animals into their dinos, I did the same by using peacock feather textures to paint him. I feel that when going with our idea for the Yi Qi, their feathers would be very shiny and pretty to attract potential mates. Plus - peacock feathers surprisingly look a lot like dragon scales :D

And of course he would be holding something shiny.

YIQIFUNDO.thumb.jpg.ec44c26a125ed94434819b19b10d6897.jpgdd.jpg.6744780d267843628b23c11a5d022970.jpg

On 7/3/2021 at 6:00 PM, xelkon said:

mmmm more microraptors? i dont care..

One is common, everywhere you don't want it, runs at you and stuns you off your mount for no reason other than to annoy you, and is near useless when tamed unless you're a pvp player wanting to put people through the absolute hell that they do when entering the redwoods. 

One is rare, skittish, doesn't attempt to murder you on sight, and are very useful when tamed, acting as a free mobile supply drop, for free items to use or grind into free material. 

Yep, totally the same! 🤣

On 7/11/2021 at 6:54 PM, Zorafoxx said:

I finally got around to draw (and paint) my interpretation of the Yi Qi for Ark. Too bad my style is a bit cartoonish so I don't think it looks as good in the dossier, but I will still update my previous post with it to avoid using artwork that doesn't belong to me. 

I tried to give him a more dragon-ish look without straying away from the real thing. However, since Ark often implements details from other animals into their dinos, I did the same by using peacock feather textures to paint him. I feel that when going with our idea for the Yi Qi, their feathers would be very shiny and pretty to attract potential mates. Plus - peacock feathers surprisingly look a lot like dragon scales :D

And of course he would be holding something shiny.

YIQIFUNDO.thumb.jpg.ec44c26a125ed94434819b19b10d6897.jpgdd.jpg.6744780d267843628b23c11a5d022970.jpg

Very nice! 👌🏻

The wings feel a bit off to me, yi-qi wings I think are a little more distinctive from normal bat wings. As far as colors go, a color region with spots along its belly and tail feather tips that might look like gemstones would be neat. I was also thinking eye spots on the wing membranes would add some more visual interest as well. I’d hope for some more drab or earthy tones for the overall color palette alongside the brighter colors for some more contrast and mixing.

6 hours ago, DromaeoSapiens said:

Very nice! 👌🏻

The wings feel a bit off to me, yi-qi wings I think are a little more distinctive from normal bat wings. As far as colors go, a color region with spots along its belly and tail feather tips that might look like gemstones would be neat. I was also thinking eye spots on the wing membranes would add some more visual interest as well. I’d hope for some more drab or earthy tones for the overall color palette alongside the brighter colors for some more contrast and mixing.

Overall I mostly agree with you. I couldn't find many reference images for the wings (all of the interpretations I saw were very different) nor do I enjoy/know how to draw wings very well so that's fair lol 

I like the ideas you have for the color regions though!

7 hours ago, DromaeoSapiens said:

10th place is still in the top 10 😅

Yeah, of course. What I meant is that by being in 10 we are not in such a safe spot anymore. RIght now both nº 10 and nº11 are VERY close to passing us, and they are getting votes more regularly than the Yi Qi, so we might be in 11 by the time this ends :/

2 hours ago, Zorafoxx said:

Yeah, of course. What I meant is that by being in 10 we are not in such a safe spot anymore. RIght now both nº 10 and nº11 are VERY close to passing us, and they are getting votes more regularly than the Yi Qi, so we might be in 11 by the time this ends :/

Yeah, I get what you mean. All we can do at this stage is cross our fingers and hope. Though at the end of the day I’d personally be happy with whatever the devs choose, I know they’d make it interesting regardless. I just thought the yi-qi concept offered some more unique, non-repetitive mechanics.