Error message: Invalid authentication token

neo320

So I have issue with ASM. After an update anyone trying to join the server is getting the window with invalid authentication token, and server availability is waiting for publication. Before update everything was working fine and there was no issue. I am hosting my server with hamachi and know, that ASM is not created to be used with it but still maybe someone had same issue and have solution to it. I wrote about my problem on reddit and there was some people having same issue but no solution.

obraz_2020-11-15_163702.png

5 hours ago, neo320 said:

Well query port by default is 27015

image.thumb.png.81411a43a3591adc1784848fe9ea9092.png

Can't see your screenshot, but the one you posted in your first post shows your queryport is set to 7778 in the startup cmd line. As you have the main port set to 7777 that wouldn't work anyway as Ark uses two ports for the main port, the one you set and the next one up, so if you use 7777 then it's using 7777 and 7778 already so setting your query port to that won't work as its already in use.

However (and more importantly) the queryport setting is for the Steam query port and Steam only allows a certain range of ports to be used for that (actually there's two small ranges).

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,
my friend has an issue with "Invalid Authentication Token" every time he tries to join my ASM server. Everything was fine on Epic games edition but when he switched to ARK edition this text started appearing each time he tried to join my server. I tried to ask from the ASM Discord but I didn't get an answer. He is able to join any official server yet not mine, while I can. And yes, we use mods. The server is on Ragnarok with these mods: Primal Fear, More Tranq Items, Powerful Plant X, Structure Plus, Death Recovery Mod, Creature Finder Deluxe, Awesome Spyglass!, HG Stacking Mod
I've been trying to fix this for a half a month now..

Are we to assume your Ark Server Manager is going through Steam?  And you are using Steam workshop mods?

How is an EPIC client connecting to a modded Steam server?  I thought crossplay might be possible if unmodded but have never tried.

Please be specific as to exactly what you are doing, where the server and clients reside (LAN, Internet) and what versions you are talking about (Steam/EPIC/XBOX).

LHammonds

Saw a bunch of forums posts for this error, which people see for a few different reasons, it seems. Posting here what worked for us:

Setup: I'm running a dedicated server on a Windows machine with -crossplay. Epic clients can connect using the "open" command from the console, but Steam players were seeing "Invalid Authentication Token".

What worked - after starting the server, wait about 5 minutes, until the server shows up in the server list from the main menu, and have the Steam players join from there. I also closed my own Steam client, not sure if that helped or mattered it all.

Another issue I ran into is that if the same machine is running the dedicated server and wants to play on the server, I had to change the server port from the default (7777) to like 7779 so that the client and server don't fight over the same port.

Hope that helps anyone else who's running into this issue.

Hi, I've installed a server with ASM and since version 331.7 i recieve "invalid authentication token" error.

I am Epic client, Firewall ports are open, I enter by going to host/local using the open [IP]:7777

I've tried everithing, change the token, also reinstall the server but still not working

Please someone can help?

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having this exact issue on my Windows cluster. All EGS users are unable to see the servers in the server browser, and manual connection attempts with open ip:port immediately receive "invalid authentication token". Servers, settings and firewalls are all working fine for steam users and they were able to connect before I migrated the worlds to an updated server. I've tried everything I can think of and am at a loss. I am also using ASM, however I also tested outside of ASM with a brand new server install with no luck.

No matter what I do, crossplay NOR epiconly on this fresh install never works!

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this again. See screen shots. I wish we could get some attention on this.

This server does not show up in the Epic server listing, manual connections from epic clients result in "Invalid Authentication Token". If I remove -epiconly the server shows up in the Steam listings, and Steam clients can connect just fine.

Windows Server 2019 Standard
Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz
Windows firewall is properly forwarded
No NAT

Is there any way to enable some kind of debug logging to see what's going on?

ark_epic_not_working.PNG

• 3 weeks later...

My friend and I were running into this problem on our co-op campaign.  He runs the server on his machine and I connect remotely.  We originally were both running ARK on Epic, and I was always able to connect to the Epic server using the “open” command from the console command line.  However, we both recently switched to Steam in order to gain access to mods, and since switching to Stream, I have never successfully logged onto the server using the “open” command from the console command line.  I always get the “Invalid Authentication Token” error, despite my friend having white-listed my player ID on the server.  For the first couple of weeks we were playing, this did not prevent my connecting to the server, as the server consistently appeared on the ARK Server listing inside ARK, and I was able to connect to the server from the server listing.  But our server has recently stopped appearing on the Join Ark server listing inside the ARK client, leaving me with no way to connect.

Here is the workaround that we hit upon.  It is only going to be available if both the server and the client trying to connect are on Steam.

1.       From the Steam UI, click the View menu option on the top menu bar and then click Servers on the dropdown menu.

2.       On the Servers dialog, select the Favorites tab, and then click Add a Server.  Enter the IP address and queryport of the server as “<IP address>:27015” and add the server to your Favorites.

3.       If the server is visible to your client, the server name and version will now be shown on your Favorites list, along with some other basic information about the game server.

4.       Now run ARK using the Host/Local and Play Single Player options to start up your solo game on your local machine.

5.       Once your local solo game is up and running, switch back to the Favorites tab of the Steam Servers dialog.  Right-click on the server name in the Favorites list and then select View Server Info on the dropdown menu. A Game Info dialog box will open. 

6.       Click the Join Game button on the Game Info dialog to connect to the server.  Your ARK session will then switch away from your solo game and connect to the server, much as if you had successfully connected using the “open” command from the ARK console command line.

On 7/24/2021 at 10:36 AM, Zhandroid said:

This morning I noticed someone was able to join the server. It's been running and not working for 5 weeks now. It shows up in the Epic listing and changing back to crossplay seems to allow Epic and Steam players in.

I'm going to go ahead and guess this was on the Epic end of things.

I'm still unable to figure out why Epic Games Players cannot connect ;( .

Archived