Unicorns Spawnrate

Kyrocakex

So I just recently bought Ark to play with some friends, and so far it’s been great! 

However, recently as I was traveling to an area for rock carrots, I accidentally stumbled across a unicorn in a field. You could imagine my surprise, as I immediately hopped down to try and take it. 

Keep in mind.. up to this point I didn’t have a single IDEA on how to take one, but my love for unicorns drove me to at least attempt it. Plus, it’s part of the main reasons I got the game in the first place. 

long story short, my dream of obtaining one fell short when a T-Rex foiled my plans. Drats. I didn’t worry too much at the time, since I thought I could just camp out for a new one to spawn, but my friend informed me only one spawned per server. 

I came here to ask if this is true. If it is, is there a different way to obtain one? Is the spawn rate more than one, or am I screwed in that department? Also, is there a better place to post this question? 

I play on an official PVP server on ragnorak. 

2 hours ago, Kyrocakex said:

So I just recently bought Ark to play with some friends, and so far it’s been great! 

However, recently as I was traveling to an area for rock carrots, I accidentally stumbled across a unicorn in a field. You could imagine my surprise, as I immediately hopped down to try and take it. 

Keep in mind.. up to this point I didn’t have a single IDEA on how to take one, but my love for unicorns drove me to at least attempt it. Plus, it’s part of the main reasons I got the game in the first place. 

long story short, my dream of obtaining one fell short when a T-Rex foiled my plans. Drats. I didn’t worry too much at the time, since I thought I could just camp out for a new one to spawn, but my friend informed me only one spawned per server. 

I came here to ask if this is true. If it is, is there a different way to obtain one? Is the spawn rate more than one, or am I screwed in that department? Also, is there a better place to post this question? 

I play on an official PVP server on ragnorak. 

It depends entirely on what map you're playing on.   They don't always instantly respawn when one disappears either.

Island has 1 at a time, so does Ragnarok, but they're WAY easier to find on Ragnarok because they pretty much always spawn in the Highlands.   SE, Ab, and Extinction don't have them.   The Center doesn't have them.

Valguero spawns 3 at a time, and Crystal Isles spawns 4.

And contrary to the bad information out there, they do NOT share spawns with regular Equus, so killing off Equus does not make them spawn faster:
https://ark.fandom.com/wiki/Unicorn

There also seems to be some conflicting information out there as to whether or not tamed Unicorns count towards the "1 unicorn per server" rule (Obviously before Valguero).   There have been some tweets from the former community manager Jen that indicated tamed Unicorns count, and the Wiki says you should cryopod your Unicorn for 24 hours, but we've all seen servers where people have Unicorns out, and yet a new one spawned in.

19 hours ago, Kyrocakex said:

So I just recently bought Ark to play with some friends, and so far it’s been great! However, recently as I was traveling to an area for rock carrots, I accidentally stumbled across a unicorn in a field. You could imagine my surprise, as I immediately hopped down to try and take it. Keep in mind.. up to this point I didn’t have a single IDEA on how to take one, but my love for unicorns drove me to at least attempt it. Plus, it’s part of the main reasons I got the game in the first place. long story short, my dream of obtaining one fell short when a T-Rex foiled my plans. Drats. I didn’t worry too much at the time, since I thought I could just camp out for a new one to spawn, but my friend informed me only one spawned per server. I came here to ask if this is true. If it is, is there a different way to obtain one? Is the spawn rate more than one, or am I screwed in that department? Also, is there a better place to post this question? I play on an official PVP server on ragnorak. 

Yeah, one spawns per server or per map. If they die or get tamed, you can find anouther one very shortly afterwards. However they can respawn anywhere and finding one is literally finding a needle in a hay stack. Give it some time, look around where the horses spawn {its nothing more than a horse with a special detail} and hopefully next time you will get lucky. 
If nothing else, try to tame up another horse somewhere else, this way you can get a feel on how to do the mini challenge in order to tame it. That way hopefully your next run in, you will be ready for it.

17 hours ago, theopheus said:

There also seems to be some conflicting information out there as to whether or not tamed Unicorns count towards the "1 unicorn per server" rule (Obviously before Valguero).   There have been some tweets from the former community manager Jen that indicated tamed Unicorns count, and the Wiki says you should cryopod your Unicorn for 24 hours, but we've all seen servers where people have Unicorns out, and yet a new one spawned in.

I have indeed tamed a unicorn, left it out, and within a few days, another spawned in. However this was on solo xbox server style settings. Not official

5 hours ago, wizard03 said:

I have indeed tamed a unicorn, left it out, and within a few days, another spawned in. However this was on solo xbox server style settings. Not official

Yeah and when I played official, I tamed one on Dead/Carno Island, cryo'ed it there, and immediately uncryo'ed it in my base and a few days later someone found one in Redwood.  <shrug>

I play primarily on my own Ragnarok server. It helps if you camp out in the Highlands immediately after a server reset (I don't know how often that happens for official servers). The places I usually see them are in the valley with the abandoned homesteads next to the light house and between the Nataziel Spires and the Ivan's Boats For Less. And you can absolutely have them spawn when tame unicorns are out, I had a few running around my compound and saw plenty of others when out on Giga patrol. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2021 at 6:43 AM, theopheus said:

It depends entirely on what map you're playing on.   They don't always instantly respawn when one disappears either.

Island has 1 at a time, so does Ragnarok, but they're WAY easier to find on Ragnarok because they pretty much always spawn in the Highlands.   SE, Ab, and Extinction don't have them.   The Center doesn't have them.

Valguero spawns 3 at a time, and Crystal Isles spawns 4.

And contrary to the bad information out there, they do NOT share spawns with regular Equus, so killing off Equus does not make them spawn faster:
https://ark.fandom.com/wiki/Unicorn

You said every 24 hours and thats what the wiki said but does it mean real life hours and connects them to a single player game or does it mean 24 game play hours for single player? because either way on public servers gameplay hours doesn't matter it's still 24 hours but does that mean you have to play singleplayer for 24 hours?

7 hours ago, nighthawk07889 said:

You said every 24 hours and thats what the wiki said but does it mean real life hours and connects them to a single player game or does it mean 24 game play hours for single player? because either way on public servers gameplay hours doesn't matter it's still 24 hours but does that mean you have to play singleplayer for 24 hours?

I didn't say 24 hours.  I said the wiki says 24 hours.   I know the spawn rates because I monitor them with Larkator.  I have no idea what the code says about how soon before another one spawns.   Anecdotally, I'd say I've seen them spawn sooner.  I also will say I was wrong about Ragnarok as I recently saw 2 on my server, so clearly more than one can spawn.

Then again, sometimes this game just does dumb things.  In 2700 hours on official, and another 2000 hours in SP, I can tell you the location of every possible Rock Drake nest on the west side trench by the bridge, but on 2 occasions, once on official, and once in SP, I saw a nest spawn in a location it never had before.

Archived