The true story about Wild Card lying about server locations.

MostSpy

Figured out why my NA server is such a piece of crap, they're now provisioning cheap servers in Europe and naming them NA thinking no one will know. https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/ark/11708239

How unethical can a company get, provisioning cheap servers in EU and naming them NA thinking no one will notice.
Blatant lying to customers is now the norm for "Wild Card"

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, MostSpy said:

Figured out why my NA server is such a piece of crap, they're now provisioning cheap servers in Europe and naming them NA thinking no one will know. https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/ark/11708239

How unethical can a company get, provisioning cheap servers in EU and naming them NA thinking no one will notice.

That IP resolves in the US. Battlemetrics appears to be using the address of the owner.

% This is the RIPE Database query service.
% The objects are in RPSL format.
%
% The RIPE Database is subject to Terms and Conditions.
% See http://www.ripe.net/db/support/db-terms-conditions.pdf

% Note: this output has been filtered.
%       To receive output for a database update, use the "-B" flag.

% Information related to '109.230.214.0 - 109.230.214.128'

% Abuse contact for '109.230.214.0 - 109.230.214.128' is 'abuse@noc.marbis.net'

inetnum:        109.230.214.0 - 109.230.214.128
netname:        US-MARBIS
admin-c:        MB31653-RIPE
tech-c:         MB31653-RIPE
mnt-by:         MB24342-MNT
mnt-by:         MNT-MARBIS
created:        2019-07-12T11:24:21Z
last-modified:  2019-07-12T11:24:21Z
source:         RIPE

person:         Marcel Boessendoerfer
address:        marbis GmbH
address:        Griesbachstrasse 10
address:        76185 Karlsruhe
phone:          +49.72175404444
nic-hdl:        MB31653-RIPE
created:        2012-11-07T13:53:02Z
last-modified:  2017-10-30T22:22:49Z
source:         RIPE # Filtered

% Information related to '109.230.214.0/24AS199610'

route:          109.230.214.0/24
origin:         AS199610
mnt-by:         MNT-MARBIS
created:        2018-12-29T14:46:52Z
last-modified:  2018-12-29T14:46:52Z
source:         RIPE

% This query was served by the RIPE Database Query Service version 1.100 (ANGUS)

Kinda odd relying solely on a website information, while just doing '109.230.214.21 location' in Google would give u 10 different websites that show the actual GEO location of the IP, all nicely pointing to a location in US.  I think your trutn and unethical should be pointed at battlemetrics, rather then WC (this time :P)

On 6/21/2021 at 11:01 AM, MostSpy said:

All joking aside: Why do you even asume servers in Europe are cheaper and crappier than servers in the US? In worst case you have a bit more ping but that does not mean it is not good. Even then, ping is affected by about everything between you an the server: In some cases a remote server can be better than the one behind 5 hubs one block away...

I'd like to point out that this thread is on the internet, including the post that did the actual IP location. I'm too lazy to do the trace myself, so I feel pretty good about accepting this new information. :)

I dig the OP reaction, as it would be understandable to assume Battlemetrics was giving traceroute info and not registar location info, as the former would be the only relevant information... so why even show it otherwise. Hell, I thought they were in Germany because of that, but never thought to do the trace. I wasn't bent out of shape by it, as I am not paying for those official servers, anymore than I am paying for the unofficial servers I could choose to enjoy this game on.

I think getting habitually pissy with Wildcard is 'a thing' that some people put more stock into than I. Wildcard is a company doing their business. If I like their product, I will give it my time until such time as I do not like that product. Hell, I expect to not like a game after a certain period of time. I put about 173 hours into Fallout 4... a GREAT game. I got more than my money spent in enjoyment. I've played 2366 hours of ARK, for about the same expenditure (adding in all the FO4 deluxe variants and season pass).

Yet, some people with tons of hours in this game wants to wave the Red Flag and rouse the rabble for some kind of community Revolution, as if they were somehow duped into spending their time and tricked into having fun for over 1000 hours.

Les_Mis%C3%A9rables_Tour.jpg

I consider the very existence of those official servers to be outside of what I paid for when I bought the game, since the game has SP and dedicated server apps where I can enjoy the game as coded. Others can respectfully disagree.

Archived