Why make the new dinos taming methods so tedious?

Allanballan

The Stryders taming method ''Hacking'' is really fun. I also tend to like that the fish basket finally came to prove itself useful.

But why do the tame have to reset if you push a button wrong while hacking or if you get detected by the shadowmane?

Is it not tedious enough that we have to gather mutagel and catch the fish 1 by one? I could understand if you lost the last progress made on the hack/feed but to lose it all is just a pure annoying feature that I sincerely hope that you reconsider. It takes the fun out of it in my opinion.

The affinity gained for each shadowmane feed is also a joke.

I can take the challenge but to lose all affinity is just a (as we say) F me mechanic.

And it does not stop there either because the Noglin is also a tame that require a lot of effort to tame successfully. Why is there no new dino besides the Maewing (wich is super cool btw) that is a bit easier to tame? Or at least without the losing affinity part. Alright the Astrodelphis is quite easy too tbh.

I am yet to encounter a Void Wyrm and figure out how to tame it. I have heard that it is challenging. I like a challenge but I do not like losing all affinity due to server lag or a because I pressed a button at the wrong time.

Just had to put my thoughts into writing after an afternoon where rage quitting were my only option..

I agree they are annoying to tame, but they are also the end game tames of the whole game. So should be some challenge to them.

Stryders makes farming materials a cake, and Shadowmanes seems to be new boss killers instead of rexes.
When taming Shadowmanes I lift the one I wanna tame with a skiff to a taming pen so it's contained and I can quickly get away from it once I've fed it.

Haven't bothered with the noglin yet as it's uses in pve seems meh, and haven't gotten around to getting mutagen for the voidwyrm.

1 hour ago, Gelantious said:

I agree they are annoying to tame, but they are also the end game tames of the whole game. So should be some challenge to them.

Stryders makes farming materials a cake, and Shadowmanes seems to be new boss killers instead of rexes.
When taming Shadowmanes I lift the one I wanna tame with a skiff to a taming pen so it's contained and I can quickly get away from it once I've fed it.

Haven't bothered with the noglin yet as it's uses in pve seems meh, and haven't gotten around to getting mutagen for the voidwyrm.

24 minutes ago, Nothingness said:

I personally like that they are doing something different. it gets boring where the taming method is shoot from a hill until it drops and then toss meat into it. I would have loved for them to do things like this from the start. 

As I also stated above it is not the method I am against but I am not at all fond of the losing all affinity part when failing. Losing 1 step would have been enough plus losing some levels possibly. But to outright force the taming progress back to zero is not a challenge, it is a poorly implemented feature imo.

We have started fresh on a Genesis 2 server so skiff is not an option for us sadly. I saw a vid and am going to build it in before they stop that too.

I would also have loved for more of these more advanced taming methods from the start.

1 hour ago, Allanballan said:

As I also stated above it is not the method I am against but I am not at all fond of the losing all affinity part when failing. Losing 1 step would have been enough plus losing some levels possibly. But to outright force the taming progress back to zero is not a challenge, it is a poorly implemented feature imo.

We have started fresh on a Genesis 2 server so skiff is not an option for us sadly. I saw a vid and am going to build it in before they stop that too.

I would also have loved for more of these more advanced taming methods from the start.

Surely, that seems broken in that aspect. 

5 hours ago, Gelantious said:

The problem with what you say is that lag actually makes it a game of RNG to tame and not a game of skill, I spent over 3 hours trying to tame a level 20 stryder but lag made it impossible so I just killed it.

Ok so for the other tame that was mentioned, the Shadowmane it is filled fish baskets thats the food. So I watched a vid and went ahead and caught myself some Coels. Probably took me 2 hours to get these big ones. I found a lake where no one ever goes and released them there cause I needed to go out for a couple of hours irl. Came back in and they rendered in and died instantly, all but 1. 1 is still alive and has full food despite having the same food as the rest that died.

Read the wiki and it says that you need to force feed them if they get hungry. For the love of god so either I have to catch the fish and use it to tame instantly or I need to sit and babywatch them so they do not starve? This is really getting ridicoulus...

This is such a silly method, why do coels have a food stat at all? Why the F do the fish basket spoil in the first case? I should be effing able to just let it stay in a body of water and it will not spoil. Yes yes I know I can reset the spoiltimer but then I have to be there the whole time and watch it or wait til I have 5-6 hours of playtime and do it all at once, catch fish, build a pen and tame the Shadowmane. Not a problem per say but if you have a limited playtime it is.

They should have given us a Tek fish basket!

This needs to be adressed!

EDIT: You can cryopod the fish to save for later I just found out. Still a tedious method as a whole but at least I hope now the coels wont die....

coel.png

Full ghillie and cactus broth is the way to go for the shadowmanes. We found it useful to have one of us patrol the borders and keep an eye on things from the back of a giga. The shadowmane will not bother the giga, and because it is tall my tribemate can give me a heads up or verbalize what the shadowmane is doing if I can't see it on the ground. We did it free range twice, then started using a pillar taming trap (build while it lays down, avoiding the front of the creature or you can net and build). I imagine on official the lag makes it rougher. Sometimes it seems like the thing won't settle immediately. Some take time to actually stay laying down. Sometimes we leave render and come back.

We only use 2.0 fish or bigger (it is a pain to hunt them. But plopping a cage on the fish and then using the fish trap is helpful. kill all ducks on sight.). Cryo while you hunt for more fish.

• 4 weeks later...

The problem is, before they make content they need an OFFICIAL SERVERS SIMULATOR, were the lag is insane and the crashes are constant , all this passive taming are a pain and many of the missions to in all this lag and crashes.  A while ago I just tamed this cool event wyvern and was heading to my base, STOP RIGHT THERE is CRASH TIME!! , rollback came, when I logged in, Anti mesh killed me, and my dolphin, with my wyvern and owl are lost in another dimension, and the 50 mutagen in my bar gone... in simple terms this game has no difficulty only frustration due to the lag, crashes , bugs  , etc.  So every time you are in space instead of been afraid of some giant vicious predator eating you up, you gotta pray a crash does not catch you up and the APEX ANTI MESH comes and delete you from reality LOL

Archived