Feedback to devs from a player who has had enough after 1000 hours.

SlimyTurnip

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, ctmtank420 said:

What is a company supposed to do? Hmit's AKE MONEY, it's the whole point. You think they care about anything but the dollars, NO. Problem is that so many ifiots have bought into this everything is fair and we all should have fun. Guess I should start playing minecraft and just complain till they make it how I like it. I'm not sticking up for the devs or anything, but I'm not stupid enough to think they care about anything more than getting their check and doing what they want. If you dont like it make your own game, and if you can't, just deal like the rest of us. One more time, they made the game, they spend hours upon hours in making this, but you all act like when you make a game you are automatically done with life except building and fixing the game. That my friend is why when you complain, you look like and idiot. All your saying is "I paid x amount of dollars for this game, so you owe me anything I want, anytime I want it. Also please add more stuff to keep me entertained and do it fast, but it better be perfect right away or I'll cry". They have lives, families,  and free time. You aren't making a game for me to enjoy, so what gives you the right to tell a company how to do it when YOU DON'T KNOW HOW? Please just stop being stupid. You have a right to an opinion, but in no way do you have a right to get 1000 hours out of a game and act like it is poop.

Uh, you're addressing the OP's 1000 hours, but I question if you're really replying to me since I'm the one who called you out on your previous message.  I, in fact, have over 2500 hours on official servers, I have another 2000 hours probably on SP, and I've recently setup a dedicated server for some friends that I run.

You didn't bother to read the rest of the thread, that much is clear.

Your belief that they only care about money is correct.    But your idea that fixing things doesn't make them money is fatally flawed.   It might grant them success on Ark, but it's a surefire way to lose money as a company because people will eventually refuse to buy future games.   They've already failed at Atlas and they have about 3 more Ark clones under the parent company that were dead in the water last I checked (Dark and Light, PixArk, and whatever that stupid theme park one is.)

The Switch and Mobile users have been complaining for years that they only have the Island and there are no bug fixes.

I don't care about their lives or their free time.  That's their time and it doesn't concern me.   The time they spend working on the game is not quality time.  Their incompetence is shown over and over again.   I don't have actual statistics, but a conservative wager says 1 out of 5 patches they send down breaks something else.   Nothing new they introduce is bug tested, or even well planned.

They never evolved from the way they operated during Early Access.   They are a terribly run studio.    If their product manager spent as much time on the game as she does worrying about what "edgy" thing she's going to say on Twitter they'd be in much better shape.   If their community manager followed up on ANY of the stuff he says he's going to do here on this board, they'd be in better shape.

The company was founded based on a guy who violated his non compete clause and had to settle for 40 million dollars.   That was after he lied about only being a consultant and putting the company in his wife's name, and then later admitted to the whole thing.  They've been incompetent since day one.

You need to look up something called, "The Halo Effect."  Because I believe it pertains to you and a lot of other people.

12 hours ago, theopheus said:

If their product manager spent as much time on the game as she does worrying about what "edgy" thing she's going to say on Twitter they'd be in much better shape.

I'd say, I don't think that is necessarily TRUE, but nonetheless I got a good laugh.  The amount of energy put into building an image on Tweet-Website nowadays is hilarious.

I have my gripes with Ark here and there, mainly their appalling treatment of Ark Switch players but I haven’t really had any issues with bugs with Single Player Ark on the XBOX. Frame rate can be crappy at times but I’m patient enough to wait for things to catch up. Though I have my problems with Wildcard, I love the game nonetheless. I don’t really take it too seriously. It’s a cool game where you choose your pace.

there’s no way I’m touching PvP though. Ever.

On 6/19/2021 at 5:23 AM, theopheus said:

I would argue that the overall story is crap, but the explorer notes happen to be written extremely well.

have you ever taken the time to actually learn the story? granted you can learn more about the story by reading the wiki and watching vids about it than actually playing the game itself. but for the most part its super interesting and well crafted for the most part. tho at some points it does seem like they are making it up as they go along. you cant really judge a story till you have actually taken the time to learn about it and understand what it is.

On 6/22/2021 at 1:48 AM, Spinosaur said:

I have my gripes with Ark here and there, mainly their appalling treatment of Ark Switch players but I haven’t really had any issues with bugs with Single Player Ark on the XBOX. Frame rate can be crappy at times but I’m patient enough to wait for things to catch up. Though I have my problems with Wildcard, I love the game nonetheless. I don’t really take it too seriously. It’s a cool game where you choose your pace.

there’s no way I’m touching PvP though. Ever.

its not exactly just bugs and issues that makes single player unbearable for the most part. its also the gameplay itself. im not complaining here nor am i saying i have issues with these. im just listing things that ik are issues for players (not all) that play single player
1. genesis part 1 missions, more specifically the gauntlet missions.

2. taming process for some creatures like the quetzal

tbh these are the only ones that come to mind as of rn. but there are more. yes there are ways to deal with these things. but for the most part ark is a game that seems to focus on the online aspect. which is a seriously huge issue. over all ark has its pros and cons, ups and down, goods and bads. its a cool game in theory. but WC just aren't cut out to handle a game of this scale. they've shown this time and time again. most of it is due to incompetency. i like ark. its my favorite game of all time. but the only reason i love it as much as i do is because its a one of a kind game. its a survival game with dinosaurs. there's no other game like it. there's no other game with the type of content ark has. taming, building, breeding and such. if a game like ark enters the ring and it seems better than ark then i will gladly give it a go.

PS: ik there's pixark and yes i do play that from time to time. but honestly its like they took ark and tried to make it even more worse than it already is. that being said i actually find it more challenging than normal ark in some ways. 

On 6/18/2021 at 9:53 PM, Joebl0w13 said:

That's right, you have to be Johnny on the spot around here with the time zones otherwise you get the genius "it's 3PM and no patch yet, fix plox!" posts.

A thing to avoid the "what time?" discussion is to state all times in, or with reference to, UTC.
By just "forgetting" to mention time schedules in a game depending on timers for feeding and breeding you make it your users a bit difficult.

On 6/19/2021 at 7:20 AM, ctmtank420 said:

What is a company supposed to do? Hmit's AKE MONEY, it's the whole point. You think they care about anything but the dollars, NO. Problem is that so many ifiots have bought into this everything is fair and we all should have fun. Guess I should start playing minecraft and just complain till they make it how I like it. I'm not sticking up for the devs or anything, but I'm not stupid enough to think they care about anything more than getting their check and doing what they want. If you dont like it make your own game, and if you can't, just deal like the rest of us. One more time, they made the game, they spend hours upon hours in making this, but you all act like when you make a game you are automatically done with life except building and fixing the game. That my friend is why when you complain, you look like and idiot. All your saying is "I paid x amount of dollars for this game, so you owe me anything I want, anytime I want it. Also please add more stuff to keep me entertained and do it fast, but it better be perfect right away or I'll cry". They have lives, families,  and free time. You aren't making a game for me to enjoy, so what gives you the right to tell a company how to do it when YOU DON'T KNOW HOW? Please just stop being stupid. You have a right to an opinion, but in no way do you have a right to get 1000 hours out of a game and act like it is poop.

In general I can not disagree, but If a product is broken there are 2 options: The manufacturer repairs it or refunds. We are entitled to the product we bought, if they break it with upgrades give us back the old product or fix the upgrade.
The thing with ARK is however that downgrades updates are compulsary and break things that were good before.

So just refund or fix it. I did not buy the Genesis DLC but still have to suffer all the issues that came with it, and it seems there is no priority for fixing it. Refund? Good luck, not gonna happen.... Therefor we are indeed entitled for the game to be fixed.

10 hours ago, Kodking194 said:

have you ever taken the time to actually learn the story? granted you can learn more about the story by reading the wiki and watching vids about it than actually playing the game itself. but for the most part its super interesting and well crafted for the most part. tho at some points it does seem like they are making it up as they go along. you cant really judge a story till you have actually taken the time to learn about it and understand what it is.

No, I'm just talking out my butt, I didn't actually read anything.     Seriously?

Yes, I read the story.  I actually got the Perfect Explorer achievement.   I couldn't get it 100% legitimately because this game is a broken mess and so I couldn't get the boss dossiers and now they want you to get Genesis Explorer notes apparently, which you can't do if you don't buy Genesis, but I did actually go out and legitimately find all the ones from the Island, SE, Aberration, and Extinction, which is more than most people do.  

As you said, it's all over the place.   The explorer notes were extremely well written in that they definitely invoke some type of emotion when you read them.

Let be clear on one thing though.  Up until Extinction, there was no "story" there was only lore and background history.   It was until the "One who Waits" that the player was actually addressed personally.

The Genesis 1 glitch notes I listened to on the wiki because I'm not paying them anymore money for this game.   

First thought I had was the voice acting was terrible.  The voice actor is mainly known for translating anime into english, but that's whatever.   I didn't like her.  At all.   She didn't sound like how I pictured Helena, and I thought her performance was awful.   If you don't agree with that, it is what it is.

Spoiler

The story is a mess and a lot of it makes zero sense.   Also a number of explorer notes elude to things that aren't possible in the game, like taking a Giga into the boss arena, or taming a Rock Drake by knocking it out.

The Arks were meant to sustain life, so why bring back people from 1000's of years ago and stick them inside these cloned bodies?   How does that preserve humanity better than putting some type of history on a computer?  More to the point, we've seen the Arks, we've seen earth, and we've seen the Federation ship.   What happened to actual humans?   Why is humanity trying to preserve dinosaurs?   And also, the whole lot of it is a bunch of crap because all of the "life" preserved on the Ark is a genetically modified version of the original species, both animal and human, which Helena observes doesn't behave like a real animal would.   So why do we learn in Genesis that the point of the Ark's was to preserve life?

The story made a lot more sense back when people thought it was Aliens.  Why would other humans do this to other humans?   Whatever.

As I said, the Island, Ab, SE, were only background, explaining what happened to Helena, Me Lein and Rockwell. 

Rockwell was a spiteful arrogant sob since the beginning when we first met him.  I never had any sympathy for him like Helena does.   Why does this guy have nine lives?  He was killed in Aberration, killed again in the Genesis Simulation and now apparently he's the main villain on the Federation Ship.    What happened to the version of him that survived on Earth?   At the end of Extinction, we've saved the world and the Arks are opening up and we're supposed to be off to Arat Prime to find out what happened to Diana and Me Lein.   Then the devs were like, Hmmm Lets make a simulation and a space ship!

The entirety of this game is just the developers saying, "Oh, this is cool, lets throw this in there."  At no point is there any indication that they had a long term plan, or vision.    When they had that live stream to announce Genesis and said, "we had more story to tell."  It was utter horse crap.   What they meant was they needed to make more money.

If this is anyone's idea of a coherent story or world building, then they certainly need to stay away from writing books because nobody would buy them.

25 minutes ago, MMaas said:

I did not buy the Genesis DLC but still have to suffer all the issues that came with it, and it seems there is no priority for fixing it.

Including a multitude of crashes that people have been posting on every forum that have /Gen2DLC/ in the error path, whether you bought Genesis 2 or not.   I'm getting crashes from a DLC I don't own.

• Volunteer Moderator
3 hours ago, MMaas said:

A thing to avoid the "what time?" discussion is to state all times in, or with reference to, UTC.
By just "forgetting" to mention time schedules in a game depending on timers for feeding and breeding you make it your users a bit difficult.

Doesn't matter. Whether you post in UTC or PST people will still have to figure out where their time zone fits in. WildCard has had to state over and over again all times they post are PST.

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

people will still have to figure out where their time zone fits in

Just to add to this to make it more realistic.... people will still instantly ask what time that is for them and will still make zero effort to work it out themselves.

I mean people in 2021 still can't open Google and type "1pm PST" and see what it says for their time zone. Instant answer. So no, posting it in UTC would make little improvement at all.

Not to mention that giving times in UTC (aka TST; "Terran Standard Time) is an international standard.

So if you keep posting in some exotic Timezone, other people in exotic Timezones will complain.
If you post in Standard Time (UTC), you can tell them to stick with standards.

Edit: a different topic, but we should simply keep UTC, using it Worldwide, and get rid of all other Timezones.

5 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Doesn't matter. Whether you post in UTC or PST people will still have to figure out where their time zone fits in. WildCard has had to state over and over again all times they post are PST.

UTC is an international standard wich is does not suffer from daylight savingstime or other oddities. I think it is only fair that people who want to interact internationaly at least know their own timezone but it is not realistic to demand everyone else understand all foreign timezones.

Running NA servers? Sure, use the most current local timezone.
Running EU servers? Have the decency to use at least UTC if CET is too complicated.
Avoid all discussions? UTC is your only option.

But ok, if WC choose to see themselves as center of the world? Fine, but that still does not explain why they often fail to give any time at all.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, MMaas said:

UTC is an international standard wich is does not suffer from daylight savingstime or other oddities. I think it is only fair that people who want to interact internationaly at least know their own timezone but it is not realistic to demand everyone else understand all foreign timezones.

Running NA servers? Sure, use the most current local timezone.
Running EU servers? Have the decency to use at least UTC if CET is too complicated.
Avoid all discussions? UTC is your only option.

But ok, if WC choose to see themselves as center of the world? Fine, but that still does not explain why they often fail to give any time at all.

The way they have been doing it, when they give times, is PST. That's where their office is, and the timeframe and schedule is theirs to maintain. The rest of the world is just along for the ride.

In the end, it doesn't matter. People will still have to go ok I am PST-6... same as UTC+-whatever. Time zones are hard.

4 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

The way they have been doing it, when they give times, is PST. That's where their office is, and the timeframe and schedule is theirs to maintain. The rest of the world is just along for the ride.

In the end, it doesn't matter. People will still have to go ok I am PST-6... same as UTC+-whatever. Time zones are hard.

You have responded to this several times in the same way by now but still ignore the last part of the post:

Why do they almost never state a time? When does an event start? When does it end? Quite important if breeding and raising depends on timers! How often do we have to find dead, unclaimed babies due to gestation/hatching speeded up or extended unanounced?

Just now, Joebl0w13 said:

Actually, I'm looking through tweets for the last 3 events. They gave a time for each of them. The last one was listed as 1PM PST.

And I am looking in the official forum. You know, the one that stated in CC271 there would be no Evo event that weekend. Gues what happened on sunday? And didn't we have a very short unanounced even again after one of the many updates?

All humans can make mistakes but WC is trying to be super human when it comes to scheduling and communicating about it.
Besides that: I bought the game on the PS4 platform. That does not include acces to Twitter.

1 minute ago, Joebl0w13 said:

It doesn't include access to this forum as well. Yet, here we are.

True.
I was not too lazy to mention the "ARK news" tab in the start-up menu and information in footer and headers of the menu's to keep it short but here we go: Even there the information is incorrect often, also not very consequent. Semetimes it states the event's but not always. Sometimes it does state the correct version number, but not always...

I realize you are very commited to the game, otherwise you would never voluntairly be a moderator. But please, stop defending bad and lazy management. I do love the concept of the game very much but it hurts to see how poorly they execute it and ignore genuine feedback. WC realy svcks at communication.
The last goes for me as wel, my excuse is that english is not my native tongue. What is theirs?

19 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Not once here have I done that. Cheers. 

By cherrypicking a single line of a comment and ignoring the main issues you do downplay peoples argument.
Maybe not exactly defending the management but for sure not supporting the community.

Again, communication is a huge handicap of WC. Please try not to follow that example.

Archived