Uhhhh.... my babies starved?!

RedDogRob

A very good morning Survivors!

I lost two baby Maewings last night and I am still confused about how this could have happened.

I am (was) raising 10 baby Maewings and placed them by Momma Maewing who had a full inventory of meat. However, when I came back to them, the meat had spoiled BUT the Maewings were still alive. I then refilled the Maewing and went to Gen2 for a little while. When I came back to check on them, 2 of them starved but the other 8 made it to Juvenile. All Maewings were within trough range, too.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

26 minutes ago, theopheus said:

Babies starving when you leave render is an old bug that WC has never shown the inclination to fix.  I have no idea how Maewing's work because I refused to give them anymore of my money for Genesis, but I would not be surprised if they copy and pasted the bad code as they are known to do that.

willing to bet this is true, gen 2 seems a lil rushed, much like the rest of the game.

However you may stick to 8 babies at a time to see what happens.

On 6/16/2021 at 1:13 AM, Stiffeno said:

Maybe it’s limited to 8 at a time? 8 nipples = 8 babies fed?

I don't think so...I had 20+ vultures when I tested a maewing on official PvE. Placed them on a raft in the middle of the water on a Rag map where most folks usually don't tend to go. Logged out for 12 hours, came back: still  alive. Also just recently I had 4 gigas (clipped in close) 3 rexes and 3 snowowls plus a baby wing. All survived (gigas still growing). Now, the rexes were in the baskets with the baby maewing, but...I have yet to see a dino cap of how many it can nurse at one time.

On 6/16/2021 at 1:49 PM, wizard03 said:

willing to bet this is true, gen 2 seems a lil rushed, much like the rest of the game.

However you may stick to 8 babies at a time to see what happens.

It's most likely not a bug and has not much to do with Genesis.

It seems that what is mentioned on Crumplecorns webpage is most likely the issue.
Short version:
The game is calculating different when in render distance, out of render distance and offline.
In worst estimated case it starts calculating spoilage first without kids eating. Then it starts to calculate "hunger" over the same time without eating. Basicly ignoring that kids eat during that time as long as there is food.
And finaly I have the feeling the kids are eating one by one the moment you log on. This explains some kids survive while others starve with an exces of spoiled food in throughs.
An other thing I'm not sure about is if the used time is in-game time, corrected for all the small "save file delays" (~15 sec's ever few minutes) or the real life time that does not recognize all the minor setbacks and other delays.

Tl;dr: Always stay online in render distance to make sure the kids don't starve, since the log-on algorithem is neither correct nor fair.

7 hours ago, MMaas said:

It's most likely not a bug and has not much to do with Genesis. It seems that what is mentioned on Crumplecorns webpage is most likely the issue.
Short version: The game is calculating different when in render distance, out of render distance and offline. In worst estimated case it starts calculating spoilage first without kids eating. Then it starts to calculate "hunger" over the same time without eating. Basicly ignoring that kids eat during that time as long as there is food. And finaly I have the feeling the kids are eating one by one the moment you log on. This explains some kids survive while others starve with an exces of spoiled food in throughs. An other thing I'm not sure about is if the used time is in-game time, corrected for all the small "save file delays" (~15 sec's ever few minutes) or the real life time that does not recognize all the minor setbacks and other delays. Tl;dr: Always stay online in render distance to make sure the kids don't starve, since the log-on algorithem is neither correct nor fair.

Have to admit, that does sound logical as well.....I have encountered this issue myself with my short stint online.....had 8 yuty babies one day, next day only one was alive with a trough of rotten meat. The only one to survive was the one with a food mutation. And he had half a stomach full....

But Im not sure if the same would apply to a maewing parent?

6 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Have to admit, that does sound logical as well.....I have encountered this issue myself with my short stint online.....had 8 yuty babies one day, next day only one was alive with a trough of rotten meat. The only one to survive was the one with a food mutation. And he had half a stomach full....

But Im not sure if the same would apply to a maewing parent?

I'm afraid it does not matter where the food is stored. Had issues with food calculation before using maewings, always overstuffed babies with at least a full stack more to prevent them from starving.
An other thing is adolecents turning adults, those seem to have priority (while not even in danger of starving!) and will drain a lot of food before the other kids get their turn.

To be safe, better be there when any kids are close to 100% maturation. To be sure, be online 25/7.

I think...I have the solution.

The math doesn't seem right. a tame being handfed (not nursed) will eat 5 pieces of meat every 2 mins. That is 150 per hour. So, for 10 maewings (not nursed) that is 1500 per hour or, 37 and a half stacks.

A black bag (300 stacks) would have lasted them 8 hours, without taking into account of spoilage.

Accounting for spoilage, each stacks spoils in 40 mins. So lets assume each stack is 39 when we "start the clock" because it is nearly impossible to have a fresh 300 stacks of meat.

So, we start the clock with 11,700 meat

• After the first hour = 9,900 meat
  • Hour two = 7,800
  • Hour three = 6,000 meat
  • Hour four = 3,900 meat
  • Hour five = 2,100 meat
  • Hour six =  zero fresh meat

In summary, I am assuming you spent more than 6 hours away from them and didn't take into account of how much they eat and spoilage.

Archived