Can you still play Ark over lan?

VidarFeral

Because the only one I can consistently get to show up is my 4 year old Island server, trying to connect to any of my newer servers requires connecting via the internet (unofficials tab).

The lan connection ability seems to disappear around the same time Ark launched on epic, was a stealth update? Or perhaps I've not tweaked a specific server setting?

On 6/16/2021 at 3:23 AM, VidarFeral said:

Because the only one I can consistently get to show up is my 4 year old Island server, trying to connect to any of my newer servers requires connecting via the internet (unofficials tab).

The lan connection ability seems to disappear around the same time Ark launched on epic, was a stealth update? Or perhaps I've not tweaked a specific server setting?

When they dropped the Epic version, they also changed the way it worked. There was very little information out there.

But, to get it working you need to make sure the following has been setup.

1) All ports have a firewall rule and Port Forwarded.
2) You are using the MultiHome feature. I had some success without it, but you can't transfer via an Obelisk or Transmitter if you leave it off.

If all these conditions are met, your maps will show up in the Lan section of the Steam Servers. I also had issues with certain ports, so if you do keep trying these ports till you get one that works.

Alright, after a bit of Googling and testing, I've been able to get a server to reliably show up in my LAN tab. The query port is the key. Steam will only scan particular query ports, and there aren't many of them.

Below is the list I found from a post on Github. I haven't tested them all, but the ones I did test worked fine.

It turns out that, by default, Steam's server browser only queries specific ports for LAN servers. Those ports are as follows:

• 26900-26905
  • 27015-27020

Archived