Help save my boredom!

RedDogRob

Hey Survivors!

I've got to the stage where I am feeling a little bored of ARK at the moment. I've been playing since the game was at Preview stage and constantly quit, build up, quit, build up and so on. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how do you combat the feeling of boredom? I absolutely love the game but I don't seem to enjoy it as much at the moment.

Thanks

I do other things, over time doing any activity for a prolonged period of time will lower the dopamine you get from the activity.  try taking a break and playing or doing other things for a while, when you come back you will be fresh. loss of interest is a natural human thing, it's not something that needs to be fixed my dude.

4 hours ago, RedDogRob said:

Hey Survivors!

I've got to the stage where I am feeling a little bored of ARK at the moment. I've been playing since the game was at Preview stage and constantly quit, build up, quit, build up and so on. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how do you combat the feeling of boredom? I absolutely love the game but I don't seem to enjoy it as much at the moment.

Thanks

You make it sound like it's a bad thing to move on to other things.

Unpopular opinion here:   This game shouldn't still be going at 6 years. 

How much of that time is spent on menial grind-related tasks?  Everything in this game is based on RND to keep people hooked.   If the loot tables were structured better, so they had actual tiers instead of random numbers, if the mutation system wasn't busted to allow for years worth of mutating, how long would people really play this game?

Even for you pro-Wild Card, optimistic types, if they had ended the game 3 years ago, they could have started working on Ark 2 that much sooner, maybe even with a newer engine that you guys think will make such a huge difference.

After playing Ark, I can't help but wonder to myself if video gaming would have taken off as quickly if say the loot in the original Zelda was random and you had to run Gannon's castle 100x before you could actually get the silver arrows to kill him.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, theopheus said:

if they had ended the game 3 years ago, they could have started working on Ark 2 that much sooner, maybe even with a newer engine that you guys think will make such a huge difference.

They couldn't. The new engine isn't even fully released yet. Later this year.

The hardest part of getting burned out of ARK is committing to leaving it and all your tames and bases to decay.

My advice is to just do it. Later... if you get the itch to download and play again, you have a clean slate to log back into that character (or create a new one) and enjoy a fresh experience. That is what I did, and had more fun in the second play thru than the first.

5 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

They couldn't. The new engine isn't even fully released yet. Later this year.

Fair enough, but I still stand by what I said.   The amount of hours I sunk into this game doing chores or literally doing nothing, waiting for tames, is ridiculous and I stayed away from breeding.  

When I quit official I stopped playing for 7 months, but I finally just got bored, and I was bothered that there were things I wanted to do on official that I didn't do, so I started playing offline SP.   It took a long time to track down Rexes with 40 points in the 4 major stats, and a while to breed them all together even with boosted rates.

You know what took longer?   Finding a Rex Saddle BP that was good enough to max out my saddles.  Because everything in this game from dino stats, to cave loot is controlled by the almighty RND.

Caves are so much fun and kinda a little nerve wracking the first time you do them, not knowing what's coming, worrying about losing your tames, or losing your equipment.   After you farm the same cave 50 times, they aren't special anymore.

• Volunteer Moderator
7 minutes ago, theopheus said:

Fair enough, but I still stand by what I said.   The amount of hours I sunk into this game doing chores or literally doing nothing, waiting for tames, is ridiculous and I stayed away from breeding.  

When I quit official I stopped playing for 7 months, but I finally just got bored, and I was bothered that there were things I wanted to do on official that I didn't do, so I started playing offline SP.   It took a long time to track down Rexes with 40 points in the 4 major stats, and a while to breed them all together even with boosted rates.

You know what took longer?   Finding a Rex Saddle BP that was good enough to max out my saddles.  Because everything in this game from dino stats, to cave loot is controlled by the almighty RND.

Caves are so much fun and kinda a little nerve wracking the first time you do them, not knowing what's coming, worrying about losing your tames, or losing your equipment.   After you farm the same cave 50 times, they aren't special anymore.

Such is the issue with true sandbox games. You get to "end game" and there really isn't any endgame unless you are actively working to ascend on each of the maps. 

After that... it's housekeeping.

Take a break for a while and come back when you start to miss it, maybe when the new mod map is released later this year. If you're pve try playing PvP for a while. I'd recommend Arkpoc as that's the best PvP experience currently in the game and it wipes monthly so you don't have to commit hard if you don't want to. Arkpoc allows you to be a toxic supervillain which can be fun sometimes. Classic PvP should be coming back around soon as well which IMO is a much better experience than current Ark so you could watch for that. (No tek, cave building, cryos sometimes, or newer maps). Beginner PvP servers can be fun as well with a level 44 cap

Archived