Giga tame question

wizard03

My Giga was a 150 that came out with 165% coz it had a level 20 Mantis get stuck in its leg and smash it’s effectiveness tank to 78% and I didn’t have the resources to let it wake up and try again…but even all that it still hit like a truck.

I then tamed a level 20 male and bred till I got an egg with the mums good stats, fully imprinted at its current level it’s got 34k health and hits for 1700🤗

6 minutes ago, Stiffeno said:

My Giga was a 150 that came out with 165% coz it had a level 20 Mantis get stuck in its leg and smash it’s effectiveness tank to 78% and I didn’t have the resources to let it wake up and try again…but even all that it still hit like a truck. I then tamed a level 20 male and bred till I got an egg with the mums good stats, fully imprinted at its current level it’s got 34k health and hits for 1700🤗

I have been in that position before, so I feel you.

But I have never tamed a giga this high of level before......Honestly the only real reason why I did it is two fold. I can get a hyper giga of course, but I also want to use the babies to max level my theri's. Right now Im just not happy with how that line is preforming against the boss's. 

Either I kill them all off and breed the parents for full blown mutations, or I try to max them out. And right now, the rex's are not cutting it......15 lvl 215 baby rexs are only netting me .5 lvl's. x.x

20 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

Just tamed up a 135 giga, fairly impressed with myself, however Im curious about its melee.....does 150% melee on a tame giga sound worth while? Iv never had one over 50% before. o.o

150% melee = 26 points in melee.

If you want to start a breeding line, it's better to have at least 40 points = 220%.

It's possible to get gigas even with 50 points.

36 minutes ago, DrSmith said:

150% melee = 26 points in melee. If you want to start a breeding line, it's better to have at least 40 points = 220%. It's possible to get gigas even with 50 points.

There is what I was looking for.....sadly I don't know of anything I could use to help me, I even tried dododex {still confusing to me} but couldn't actually get any numbers because I couldn't stop till it was already tamed. x.x 

Thanks for the heads up, however I doubt Im gonna get anything better than what I got now. Iv been fighting the spawn glitch to actually get a giga to spawn in. Iv done so many dino wipes that its ridiculous!

Either way, again thanks for the help!

4 hours ago, wizard03 said:

There is what I was looking for.....sadly I don't know of anything I could use to help me, I even tried dododex {still confusing to me} but couldn't actually get any numbers because I couldn't stop till it was already tamed. x.x 

You could get the actual stat numbers from the ark smart breeder computer program if you so desired.

I can't really add much others haven't said.   Giga's are really pretty essential for doing OSD's on Extinction if you get to that point.   As with most tames as Dr. Smith said, 40+ is breedable, 50+ is the holy grail. (doesn't apply to wyvern/drakes, deinonychus, or flyers in general)  On Giga's, the difference between a level 5 and a 40 point health is 17k vs 19k.   Other than that, a little weight can't hurt, but melee is the only stat you need to worry about.

A level 5 Giga has 400 stamina.   A Giga with 50 points in Stamina comes in at a whopping 415.   If you were playing on official, you'd be better off just breeding the stamina out and saving yourself 50 levels for mutations like I did.  You don't really need to "run" on a Giga.   They might seem slow, but if you have someone run next to you on a Rex you will see the Giga just about paces it, or might even be faster because of its massive stride.   I haven't played official in almost 2 years, but they were popping Gigas with 625 melee at birth.   I assume by now they are pushing 1000. 

My SP Giga's have 41 points in melee, which amounts to 225 melee at hatch.  By the time I fully imprint and level them, they can solo Red drops in SP.  If you want to do purple OSD's solo with a Giga, I have found that 625 hatch is about the minimum, and even then it can be touch and go if you run into too many Enraged Rexes and your Giga can rage.  You can of course solo Purple OSD's with the Titan's, but Titan taming can be a long process, they only last for 24 hours, and they're extremely slow to move around the map.

Where Giga's really shine is when bred.   A 100% imprinted Giga doubles its health and gets a healthy boost to melee.   In my experience the best place to tame them is on The Center, purely for the ease of eliminating the lower numbered ones by herding them into the lava or the ocean.  The best place to get a Giga saddle is hitting the desert drops on Rag.   5 deep sea quality loot crates every 45 mins or so.   Once you get a good saddle, imprint yours 100%, and level up its melee enough, you can take down a Wild Giga pretty efficiently if necessary.  

Even those wimpy 50% melee Giga's you were talking about do about 250 damage per bite, far outclassing just about everything else that isn't a Titan.

Seems to me the Gnash on the Wild Giga might have been shadow nerfed recently, or maybe it's just me having better Giga lines.  Seems like I used to lose about 17k health taking down a Wild Giga, but lately I take around 3k.  You used to be able to feed your dino an Antidote to negate the Gnash, but they removed that ability, some months back.

Of course all of my advice comes with the disclaimer that I did not buy the Genesis Season Pass, so there may be better Gigas, or you could try to tame one of the R-Gigas.

7 hours ago, hud said:

Since when is base 500? or i have lived my whole life in dark ))))))))

mutations.....Id have to bust rear to get them all into melee, but its a plan if I get bored. Then Id go lvl a pack of them up on the baby gigas for xp, Could go straight to 1000% melee with imprint.

4 hours ago, theopheus said:

I can't really add much others haven't said.   Giga's are really pretty essential for doing OSD's on Extinction if you get to that point.  

Exactly, We are getting ready for for a quick pit stop at scorched, pick up on my moms save for aberation, and then hop over to extinction. Im trying to get all the peices of the puzzle locked in before we finally make our way over to extinction. And Im looking for a pack of supply drop and element vein protectors. And If I can get some giga;s set up before hand, then boom. Like that.

However it would probably be better to stop off at the center to find higher level giga's easier? I thought it was ragnarock cause of the higher natural lvls they spawn at. 

And while I might be interested in jumping off to a free map, Im trying to stick to the story line for right now....Island, SE, aberration, extinction, gen1 and last but not lest, gen2.

4 hours ago, wizard03 said:

However it would probably be better to stop off at the center to find higher level giga's easier? I thought it was ragnarock cause of the higher natural lvls they spawn at.

My SP Gigas, the ones I had to breed myself from scratch are a combination of tames from Valguero, Ragnarok, and the Center.   You can find high levels on all 3.   Thing is though, the Gigas spawn random like everything else and you only get a few to a map.   So if Rag or Valguero spawn a level 30, that isn't going to help you, and now you have to wait for it to despawn, do a dino wipe (you might as well spawn one in at that point and tame it), or find a way to kill it.

On the Center, you can relatively "farm" Gigas by leading them into the lava or the ocean to die, instead of messing around trying to kill them with a wyvern or pounce them with a Rock Drake 30 times.

Archived