Beating The Island

PrimaI

1 hour ago, PrimaI said:

So I've been doing my ARK play through for about a week now and have defeated the gamma broodmother and gamma monke and I was wondereing if I should make myself have to beat the Alpha overseer before ascending to the next ARK. Because with drops not working i don't now if i even could beat the Alpha overseer.

In solo, the alpha oversee're isn't "that" important, and yeah with the current saddle cut off, Id say its worth sitting out for a minute and just proceeding on to the next map. Wyverns are pretty sweet. 👍

I mean if you've only done Gamma Brood and Gamma Monkey, I'd hesitate to say you're ready to just jump into Alpha Overseer.    The cave is a much bigger issue though.  You can glide through it with an artheoptrex (sp?), or a glide suit, but it does take some skill.    If you're playing Single Player, you have the benefit of no timer.   If you are playing on a server, you're going to have trouble getting down there and beating the Overseer before the time limit.  I've heard the time limit expiring only kills you in the cave, but I cannot confirm this.

In SP, I've done it with a glide suit and the "hover and shotgun" technique, and I've taken Theriz down there and done it the long way.    Doing it the long way took me hours to move that Theriz train all the way down.

Single player Alpha overseer and rockwell ascensions can easily be done solo with a shotgun because no time limit. No reason not to go after those +30 levels. In SP you can kill all three alpha bosses with 1 yuty and 19 theirs. Don't even have to be good theris because of how melee levels in single player, two rando 135-150 theris bred together, level 21k hp, and the rest melee. I dropped alpha dragon in under a minute using engram saddles and by official standards a crap theri line.

3 minutes ago, temporeeoacountio said:

Single player Alpha overseer and rockwell ascensions can easily be done solo with a shotgun because no time limit. No reason not to go after those +30 levels. In SP you can kill all three alpha bosses with 1 yuty and 19 theirs. Don't even have to be good theris because of how melee levels in single player, two rando 135-150 theris bred together, level 21k hp, and the rest melee. I dropped alpha dragon in under a minute using engram saddles and by official standards a crap theri line.

Was that with single player settings checked?   Because that makes a difference.

2 hours ago, theopheus said:

Was that with single player settings checked?   Because that makes a difference.

Yes. Pretty sure almost everyone playing single player has this checked. The only real difference is the need for mutations or not on your lines. Should rename use single player settings checkbox to "beat the game with bad lines".

1 hour ago, temporeeoacountio said:

Yes. Pretty sure almost everyone playing single player has this checked. The only real difference is the need for mutations or not on your lines. Should rename use single player settings checkbox to "beat the game with bad lines".

Iv been playing my single player run with those settings and its not been that easy since the wipe. o.o Heck, I did have theri's with extra mutations and its been dicy on every single boss run.....well except the monkey fight.....that was the easiest thing Iv ever done.....no losses, did gamma, beta, and alpha in less then 10 minutes. 

Im still at a loss as to why it was that easy where both spider and dragon {dragon is slightly understandable} I needed to do each level at a time, and wait for the crew to heal and regen between fights.

2 hours ago, temporeeoacountio said:

I had been playing single player with that box checked but recently I decided to play through without it. I don't like the cave loot crate spawn rates and I didn't know if this setting was affecting that. Honestly I haven't found out yet because I've been caught up in gen2. Hopefully I'll get back to my playthrough soon and see if it makes a difference.

5 hours ago, temporeeoacountio said:

Yeah.  No.   I did when I first started playing, not knowing any better, but after playing official, I never went back to SP settings again.  It's just unfortunate that the Island Bosses are hard coded to be less difficult in single player than on a server even if you do set your difficulty to 5 like official and uncheck that box.

32 minutes ago, theopheus said:

Yeah.  No.   I did when I first started playing, not knowing any better, but after playing official, I never went back to SP settings again.  It's just unfortunate that the Island Bosses are hard coded to be less difficult in single player than on a server even if you do set your difficulty to 5 like official and uncheck that box.

I actually like this. Single player settings generally make the game too easy for my taste, but having to do full-power bosses solo is rough. If you really want them to have regular strength, I think you can beef them up in the game files to make them equal to official ones.

19 hours ago, theopheus said:

18 hours ago, DodoRaptor said:

I actually like this. Single player settings generally make the game too easy for my taste, but having to do full-power bosses solo is rough. If you really want them to have regular strength, I think you can beef them up in the game files to make them equal to official ones.

These bosses aren't hard on offical either. Yall need to get off your rexes and get theris. I soloed alpha dragon and monkey on crossark14 with 1 yuty and 19 theirs with 21k hp and 700-800 melee. No mutations, just good tames bred then leveled properly, veggie cakes, and wearing 60-80 armor saddles. I know t-rex was your favourite dino as a kid but they kinda suck now in ark.

38 minutes ago, temporeeoacountio said:

These bosses aren't hard on offical either. Yall need to get off your rexes and get theris. I soloed alpha dragon and monkey on crossark14 with 1 yuty and 19 theirs with 21k hp and 700-800 melee. No mutations, just good tames bred then leveled properly, veggie cakes, and wearing 60-80 armor saddles. I know t-rex was your favourite dino as a kid but they kinda suck now in ark.

I've already started rex mutations AND I have a good saddle so I'm going to end up using them for spider and mokey, but you're probably right. Out of curiosity, how many veg cakes per theri for the dragon? Those things are a pain to make.

2 hours ago, DodoRaptor said:

I've already started rex mutations AND I have a good saddle so I'm going to end up using them for spider and mokey, but you're probably right. Out of curiosity, how many veg cakes per theri for the dragon? Those things are a pain to make.

eh, they are a lil grindy.....but if done correctly, can be manageable. First rule of thumb, get 4-8 taps in and hit them up every time you swing by the red woods. Be careful tho as the sap can be heavy. If you was doing a metal run, you could accidentally over encumber yourself.
Next, greenhouse....we decided to do some sort of weird perimeter around our house in glass and when we was done, 4 large plots for each veggie, more veggies than necessary
however with all that unnecessary veggie production, you gonna need 3 or 4 beetle for fert production and a phiome, just throw the beetles into the garden area and set to wander, feed stim berries to the phiome.
last but not least a bear and a quetzal. You could get 5-10 beehives, but if you go this way you will still be limited when its time to hit the cakes. With a bear and a quetz, your unlimited and its not hard at all to get the necessary amount of honey needed and probably more than need. Even if you was able to hit all the beehives, it only takes 10 minutes for them all to reset and you can get more again.

Last but not least, industrial cooker hooked up to a water source and a bunch of fridges....boom like that.
We are grinding out about 20 cakes a day, with some adjustments, you could prolly double that. And as for the boss runs, its been 5 cakes for each theri for beta spidey, and 10 for alpha. For the dragon, 10 for beta, 20 cakes each for alpha.

DON'T FORGET YUTY OR DEADON!

2 hours ago, DodoRaptor said:

I put one stack of cakes in each just to be safe. They won't eat all of them. Rexes get melted by dragon. Theirs no boss rexes can kill that theris cannot, universal boss killer. I use them for master controller. I suppose you could try a separate group of rexes leveled into more melee then hp to try and nuke the dragon down before the fire gets them. If you have gen2, the corrupted ring is crawling with high level theris and the new mutagen gives you 10 free mutations from the start.

42 minutes ago, temporeeoacountio said:

I put one stack of cakes in each just to be safe. They won't eat all of them. Rexes get melted by dragon. Theirs no boss rexes can kill that theris cannot, universal boss killer. I use them for master controller. I suppose you could try a separate group of rexes leveled into more melee then hp to try and nuke the dragon down before the fire gets them. If you have gen2, the corrupted ring is crawling with high level theris and the new mutagen gives you 10 free mutations from the start.

Yeah, at this point the rex mutations are only still going because I cant bring myself to scrap them. I kind of wish I'd held off, but it will still be fun to have them when they're done. Theris seem a little easier; I might throw in a few mutations if I can't find a good one, but it sounds like I won't need them if I do. I'll be grinding out the cakes in my spare time during the rex breeding.

14 minutes ago, DodoRaptor said:

Yeah, at this point the rex mutations are only still going because I cant bring myself to scrap them. I kind of wish I'd held off, but it will still be fun to have them when they're done. Theris seem a little easier; I might throw in a few mutations if I can't find a good one, but it sounds like I won't need them if I do. I'll be grinding out the cakes in my spare time during the rex breeding.

trust me man, bred rex's are still very useful. Yeah, maybe the dragon is a no go, but you could still beat on the spider and monkey, and the supply drops in extinction.....either that or giga's.
And yeah, Im doing the same as well. Between cakes, its rex eggs for mutations and dodo eggs for basic kibble for the deadon

Theirs have so many advantages over rex. They wake up fast, you can throw all 19 of them out of balls for a boss fight and they will be awake in 5 mins. They are smaller and faster, flow together better around a boss. Rex may have better base damage but a theri only has to level its hp to 21k then everything else goes into melee, usually ending up with much higher melee then standard boss fighter rexes. Plus veggie cakes OP.

11 hours ago, temporeeoacountio said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I keep telling people I think Broodmother is harder than dragon.   You just have to work around the Dragon's breath in one way or another.  It's also harder to get good stat Theriz than Rexes.

Also, I don't know how much harder the bosses are on official because I can't physically setup my SP world because its hard coded for the bosses to be easier, which is all I'm saying.   I would just like to know I can legitimately solo a boss on official with my own lines, not some egg that Bert Noobian spent 5 years mutating (no offense to you, Bert.)   But I'm not going back to official, so it is what it is.

8 hours ago, wizard03 said:

eh, they are a lil grindy.....but if done correctly, can be manageable. First rule of thumb, get 4-8 taps in and hit them up every time you swing by the red woods. Be careful tho as the sap can be heavy. If you was doing a metal run, you could accidentally over encumber yourself.

<snip>

DON'T FORGET YUTY OR DEADON!

What I always do is put a bed on my tree platform and a vault.  Periodically fast travel with a bed, or log into that bed when I transfer and fill the vault, then periodically pick it up when I'm in the area.

Daedon is the most overrated dinosaur in any ark related media.  The amount of upkeep isn't worth the payoff.   You fill it up with meat and get maybe one healing wave in return.   Some people actually spend the time making dodo kibble to fill it up, which is insane to me.  And it's useless as a fighter and if its unridden you have to constantly watch it so it doesn't get killed.

And most importantly, most of us regularly beat the bosses on official without one.

I only did Alpha Manticore on Scorch. (With rexes, 2 years ago).  So i am missing a lot of engrams like dino gates , walls and roof while I have clone chambers and Tek teleporters.  What is the easies boss to do for me to get walls and dino gates?  I want to avoid to do it on the island if possible it lags a lot and it scares me to get into a boss fight with that lag.  I am on official servers, Xbox crossplay.

I saw a ride along 2 weeks ago on my server but we just had restarted playing (lost all of our old dinos and bases to decay) so I was not ready for that ride along.  Now we have a base and some dino's so I should be ready to make a raid in about 2 weeks. That being said, we have 24k hp, 1k dps rexes (base stats, no levels, no imprints) , some breaded Yuti and some breaded Velo.  From what I read here I will also need  therizinosaurus?   

On my old private server, I did Crystal island queen on alpha with rexes by  going to a corner of the map when it was in the air phase and it made him get in range of the rexes.  Not sure it still works or its the best way.

1 hour ago, Herbapou said:

I only did Alpha Manticore on Scorch. (With rexes, 2 years ago).  So i am missing a lot of engrams like dino gates , walls and roof while I have clone chambers and Tek teleporters.  What is the easies boss to do for me to get walls and dino gates?  I want to avoid to do it on the island if possible it lags a lot and it scares me to get into a boss fight with that lag.  I am on official servers, Xbox crossplay.

I saw a ride along 2 weeks ago on my server but we just had restarted playing (lost all of our old dinos and bases to decay) so I was not ready for that ride along.  Now we have a base and some dino's so I should be ready to make a raid in about 2 weeks. That being said, we have 24k hp, 1k dps rexes (base stats, no levels, no imprints) , some breaded Yuti and some breaded Velo.  From what I read here I will also need  therizinosaurus?   

On my old private server, I did Crystal island queen on alpha with rexes by  going to a corner of the map when it was in the air phase and it made him get in range of the rexes.  Not sure it still works or its the best way.

There's no one boss fight, I don't think, that will unlock all the things you want.   You can look at the chart for yourself:
https://ark.fandom.com/wiki/Tek_Tier#Buildings

Those Rexes should be able to easily do the Center Arena, which would give you monkey and broodmother, and Ragnarok Arena that will give you most of Dragon's engrams as well as a few Ragnarok exclusive items (I think the tek light is Rag only, and Tek Shield is rare among the other boss fights.)

But unless they fixed it, when I did official there was still some homestead items that you couldn't get from Dragon on Rag (Double doors I think can only be unlocked from Island Dragon), and it wouldn't unlock dedicated storage either (I ended up having it anyways from Desert Titan).   Maybe they fixed this, maybe it was intentional.   I don't know.

I've yet to see a video of anyone beating the Crystal Wyvern Queen without using the waterfall exploit to make her fly low.   I don't know how it's possible either, unless you have a lot ridden wyverns in the fight.    I did the fight 4x until I finally beat her on Alpha and I want no part of her after that.   The wyverns can't seem to fly fast enough to catch her and do good damage and after you hit her on the ground the 3rd time, she never seems to land again.  

I finally beat her with a combination of 3 Rexes, 2 cloned Reapers, 1 Velo, 1 Yuty, 4 Deino's, and the rest was a combination of Blood, Tropical, and Ember Wyverns.  2 Wyverns didn't get teleported into the fight because they use the crappy teleport pads from The Center and I finally beat her at the last second as my final Dinosaur (Reaper) was about to die, and I tried to fight her straight up until it was obvious she wasn't going to land and then I used the waterfall.

Maybe with official breeding lines of Rexes with maxed 255 points in melee can do enough damage to her that she can't take off after the 3rd time she lands.  I don't know, but with my own tame and bred dinos, I lost all but 3 dinos (the 2 that didn't teleport in and the Reaper).   Everyone of my dinos was bred (except the Reapers obviously) and had 40 points minimum in every stat and were fully leveled up all 73 levels.

I just wanted to add a little bit here (my experience). I don't know how you're supposed to get through the Tek cave at all. I recently went there to get the explorer notes, since I'm working on that task to get to max level for my single player character. I was able to fly through it with my Argy (I have the setting to allow "cave flyers"), but when I went through the portal (to the Overseer arena), my Argy disappeared. I thought it might if I wasn't mounted, which is why I dismounted before being teleported to the arena, but I was wrong. My Otter that I was carrying made it through, though. I back up my saved files and restore them when something like this happens. The next time, I took my Argy through and put it in a Cryopod before going through the portal. When I got to the arena and tried to use the Cryopod, the game told me I couldn't. So, I went through on foot. I should also note, I've removed some creatures from my game like the Archaeopteryx Microraptor, because I hate getting dismounted. I'm using Awesome Teleporters, so I was able to teleport out of there before the Overseer appeared. Seeing here the recommendation to use the Tek armor makes sense. I didn't think of doing that, since I rarely use the Tek armor.

As for single player settings, I use it, but I don't believe it does anything. Some people say it makes the game easier, maybe it's just me, but bosses are still pretty much impossible. I don't know how you're supposed to beat the Manticore without flyers, but now that I think about it, the Tek armor would probably work. I did once long ago beat the Broodmother. I'm not sure what difficulty it was and I think I brought in some Rexes, I don't remember since it was so long ago. That may have been the only boss I was able to beat, though I could be wrong and was able to beat another. I don't remember if I used the "infinitestats" command.

As for Rockwell, I used "infinitestats" and beat him, but I had to give myself infinite shotgun ammo and shoot those purple orbs, because even though I was using "infinitestats," those things were still destroying my armor and killing me. I think I managed to take a tame or more than one with me. I may have used a Giga, I don't recall very well, either, because it was years ago.

Since my experience has been that the bosses are pretty much impossible, especially in single player, I just used the Ascension command to get those. I know I could use a command to give myself all the explorer notes, but I don't find that necessary and I enjoy looking for them, even if I'm using the wiki to tell me where they are.

20 hours ago, temporeeoacountio said:

Theirs have so many advantages over rex. They wake up fast, you can throw all 19 of them out of balls for a boss fight and they will be awake in 5 mins. They are smaller and faster, flow together better around a boss. Rex may have better base damage but a theri only has to level its hp to 21k then everything else goes into melee, usually ending up with much higher melee then standard boss fighter rexes. Plus veggie cakes OP.

I tried using a Cryopod in the Overseer arena and the game told me I couldn't do that.

8 minutes ago, GregoPeck said:

I just wanted to add a little bit here (my experience). I don't know how you're supposed to get through the Tek cave at all. I recently went there to get the explorer notes, since I'm working on that task to get to max level for my single player character. I was able to fly through it with my Argy (I have the setting to allow "cave flyers"), but when I went through the portal (to the Overseer arena), my Argy disappeared. I thought it might if I wasn't mounted, which is why I dismounted before being teleported to the arena, but I was wrong. My Otter that I was carrying made it through, though. I back up my saved files and restore them when something like this happens. The next time, I took my Argy through and put it in a Cryopod before going through the portal. When I got to the arena and tried to use the Cryopod, the game told me I couldn't. So, I went through on foot. I should also note, I've removed some creatures from my game like the Archaeopteryx, because I hate getting dismounted. I'm using Awesome Teleporters, so I was able to teleport out of there before the Overseer appeared. Seeing here the recommendation to use the Tek armor makes sense. I didn't think of doing that, since I rarely use the Tek armor.

As for single player settings, I use it, but I don't believe it does anything. Some people say it makes the game easier, maybe it's just me, but bosses are still pretty much impossible. I don't know how you're supposed to beat the Manticore without flyers, but now that I think about it, the Tek armor would probably work. I did once long ago beat the Broodmother. I'm not sure what difficulty it was and I think I brought in some Rexes, I don't remember since it was so long ago. That may have been the only boss I was able to beat, though I could be wrong and was able to beat another. I don't remember if I used the "infinitestats" command.

As for Rockwell, I used "infinitestats" and beat him, but I had to give myself infinite shotgun ammo and shoot those purple orbs, because even though I was using "infinitestats," those things were still destroying my armor and killing me. I think I managed to take a tame or more than one with me. I may have used a Giga, I don't recall very well, either, because it was years ago.

Since my experience has been that the bosses are pretty much impossible, especially in single player, I just used the Ascension command to get those. I know I could use a command to give myself all the explorer notes, but I don't find that necessary and I enjoy looking for them, even if I'm using the wiki to tell me where they are.

There are a number of dinos (the Rock Drake) that can go through the Tek Cave, but not teleport to the boss arena.   Normally, as you said, you wouldn't be able to take an argy at all, so it's possible all flyers are on that list.   There was a point in time you could use cryopods in the cave up until a point, so you could take a Giga through the Cave and then pod it at a certain point, but evidently they removed it.    Tek Cave was a long slow ordeal when I did it straight up.   The first time I used a glide suit and a tek suit/shotgun in the overseer fight.

Archaeopteryx don't dismount you.   You're thinking of microraptor.  They look nearly identical.  Archaeopteryx will flee if you get too close to it.

It's amazing to me the number of people saying "you don't even need tames to do Rockwell" because someone posted a youtube video doing it.   I've done it solo without tames using the cactus broth/shotgun method and I don't believe it's possible on official because of the itemclamping that puts a shotgun at max 298 damage and the timer.    If you had a number of people with you, sure.  It's doable then.   But otherwise, nope.   Most of the people bragging about this are playing on unofficial boosted servers with 400+ damage shotguns.

Rockwell solo on a Drake is easy until the round where the Reapers show up.   Then there are so many orbs it becomes a nightmare.

Archived